Trip Report June 1st thru June 6th

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Sens' started by Ghost37, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Ghost37

Ghost37 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Went with the GF for a 5 night stay and found there to be pros and cons to this resort. Both about to be 25 y/o in a couple months so definitely towards the younger side at this resort.
    We arrived early around 11 AM on June 1st there was only one group in front of us, yet it took a little over a half hour just to check in. The guy checking us in had the computer tilted so I could see it and the problem was that it wasnt scanning the passports correctly and kept coming up with an error message. Finally he rebooted the whole computer and got us checked in. I read a lot of reviews and saw some people claiming up to 2 hours just to check in at a busy time. Definitely something the sens needs to fix because when you finally get to the resort you don't want to wait. That being said we got our room before Noon so the early check in made up for the slight delay.
    Our room was on the 9th floor at my request with a partial ocean view. Overall I was pleased with the room. However, my main complaint about my entire stay was the A/C seemed to be problematic to most people I talked to regardless of what floor they were on. For the first 3 nights it was uncomfortable to sleep even with no clothes on. The A/C was only cooling the room to 27-28D celsius over 80F degrees! The final two nights it worked a lot better so that we werent uncomfortable (about 72F degrees)
    The other complaint we had was we had hoped there would be better nightlife at the resort. After everyone came up from the beach/pool the only thing at the resort to do was the Kinky nightclub. I like a variety of music but found that they did not play anything we could get into on most nights and didnt really get the crowd going. I thought the glow party would be cool, but unfortunately it wasn't very good. We wound up going out to the clubs a couple nights but I was hoping not to have to drop a lot more money because it he clubs are so expensive.

Having said that here's what we did like about our stay:

1. All the staff was great that we came across. The waitstaff is very attentive and delivers the food quickly. The barstaff poured generously, and the entertainment staff was a lot of fun.

2. The daytime entertainment was a lot of fun. I participated in pretty much every event they had and it was a blast. Beer pong, ping pong, flip cup, drinking contest, tequila volleyball, etc.. plus a bunch of random games to keep people going and entertain those around the pool area

3. The people! It was a good atmosphere with people hanging out, talking, of course drinking. We met a lot of cool people who really made our stay fun interacting with them throughout the day.

Tips/Suggestions:

- I wouldn't upgrade for the bracelet ($28 USD/day if you're not a Sian Kaan VIP) I got into all the VIP upgrades except the beds on the beach. The top shelf liquor is only available primarily in VIP bar and it's not much of an upgrade. For instance you can get Stoli and Finlandia vodka from the basic package, whereas they have grey goose available at the VIP bar (which I already said the bartender didn't care I didnt have the VIP bracelet anyways.) In general the staff doesn't seem to care which bracelet you have.

- Always specify which brand you want, the bartenders will pour you the cheaper liquor if you do not specify each time.

-Bring an insulated mug! The cups are tiny here and it's annoying to go back and forth from the bar. I would tip the barteneder a few bucks and he'd fill my mug halfway with liquor and ice and then whatever mixer I asked for.

-Go to the foam party, it was definitely the best event there (It's on Friday) with good music and it got pretty crazy

-Bring extra sunscreen, it's close to $20 for a bottle for the poor souls who did not bring enough

-If you care about dinner reservations you have to be at the desk right by the front entrance at 8AM to ensure you get the restaurant and time slot you want.

- Hippie Chick (snack food place if you want a quick bite) Get the kebabs, onion rings, or lime chicken. Most of their other food isn't too good

- Stop at the OXXO about a half mile down the street towards the airport if you want to quickly stock up on some stuff ( I got energy drinks a few snacks, and water) Yes, I bought water because it seems like at this resort they hide the bottled water.. LMAO not kidding After the 2nd day the maid no longer restocked our waters and the bars said they only had the tap water.

-Only late night food available is at the box (they only have chips&cheese, some fruit, and mini pork sandwiches) or room service. If you order room service order a lot because they charge you a flat $12 fee regardless of how many items you order.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them while everything is fresh in my mind.

Also, if anyone is reading this who was there from June 1st to 6th you probably saw me at some point I played in just about all the random games by the pool.

Peace and Love,
    Kyle

2. tw1mempho

tw1mempho Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    thanks for the trip review .... we are going in two weeks.... The A/C issue is what I worry about. We have stayed at Grand Oasis before , and they had the same problems... I told the wife, I will go to Walmart and buy a cheap fan to help us sleep at night. I had to do that in our last visit to the Grand Oasis .

Will miss TTR but hope to make the most of it while we are at the Sens....

3. jamvar

jamvar Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Great review thanks it's our first time going here. Any chance of nudity in the hot tubs at night? or topless during the day?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  5. Ghost37

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    That's not a bad idea, at least a little bit of air would make things more comfortable. Hopefully you get a room that at least can cool it close to room temp.

During the day I'd say on average I saw about 5 or 6 women topless. I only went to the hot tubs once, but didn't stay long because the water wasn't hot and it was already almost closed. At night though it's only lightly lit so if you were looking for some privacy in the hot tub to go topless it would not be hard. Especially the corner hot tubs you can't see the people in them very well because they're mostly in the dark.

No Problem!

6. jamvar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    ok thanks, sucks that the hot tubs aren't "hot", thanks again for the feedback!

7. Ghost37

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I think they do get hot, but they turn them off if no one is using them. We went around 11:30PM and the tubs are supposed to close at 12. If I recall correctly they have 2 or 3 that have digital controls with jets and then about the same amount that are more like baths that you just fill yourself.

8. jamvar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    oh ok that's good news at least...

9. Tyler and Angie

Tyler and Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 2
    Nothing better than to sneak off to the hot tubs for a midnight skinny dipping!

10. jamvar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    great minds think alike! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice