Trip report Jan 16-20; Day 1

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by Jenn4theWin, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jenn4theWin

Jenn4theWin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (I'm going to try and get each day typed up as fast as I can, real life keeps interrupting)

Hubby and I had a blast! We partied at night and did the tourist thing during the morning/early afternoons, really made it feel like we were there twice as long.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon just before 3. Room wasn't quite ready, so we received wrist bands and were told to grab some lunch. We'd requested a king, but they said all they had was doubles. Just went with it and planned to push 'em together. $7/charge for the room safe, but I was already prepared for that and said go ahead. Off to lunch we went. Buffet was so much better than what I'd mentally prepared myself for. My favorite main dish that day was butter fish. And there were some sauteed mushrooms and whole roasted baby potatoes that I liked. There was a variety of fresh fruit and veggies, salads, pastas, breads... nothing that is really standing out, but all was better than expected.

Finished up lunch and headed to pick up our room keys. No mention of theme nights, just told us to make reservations starting at 9 for the White Box (never actually got to because we were out the door before then on Friday and Saturday, and they were closed Sunday). Made it up to our room and we were pleasantly surprised that we did have a king bed. Room was clean & spacious, and I liked that the window opened up to let in the fresh air. Random spots could use some paint touch-ups if I wanted to be picky. Bath tub was actually long enough that I (at 5’8”) could lay all the way down- always a plus in my book. Mini fridge was a little warm, just pulled it out a little and left the cabinet doors open- easy fix. We quickly changed into our suits and headed downstairs.

Pool and beach were quiet; I think the weather was the big factor. It was pretty cool the whole time we were there, cold enough that we never actually got in the water – way too cold. Major bummer since I had visions of being bellied up to the pool bar. We grabbed a drink from the bar by the pool and headed to the beach. Breeze brought in clouds that covered up the sun, which of course made it even colder. Everyone was covered up with towels & shivering, and we just grabbed another drink and headed back to the room to get ready for dinner.

We had dinner at the Mexican place that night; four courses with 3-4 choices for each round. They were out of a few of the dishes that we wanted, but what we did have was great. Attentive service and our drinks were kept full. After dinner we went to the Coyote Bar. It wasn't very busy when we first got there, but it picked up throughout the night. Met lots of people from all over…Sweden, Russia, and a bunch of guys in from California for a bachelor party. I played wingman for a little while, it’s all kind of hazy after the 4th tequila shot. I’m not really sure when we left (or even remember leaving); but I know we had a fun time. Next thing I know, I’m cussing at myself for forgetting to turn off my 6 am phone alarm. OUCH!!!!!

To be continued….

2. jayk59101

jayk59101 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for posting jenn, look forward to hearing more I am worried about the decision to stay here, my husband keeps telling me to stop worrying it will be fine, I am sure he is right, he always manages to have a good time regardless. glad to hear the food was decent, that was one of our biggest concerns.

3. crissynchris

crissynchris Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Thanks for the review, sorry bout the weather :/ Look forward to reading the rest!

4. KScpl

KScpl Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Thanks for posting! Nice to hear this. Maybe we'll pack wet suits and belly
    up to the pool bar end of Feb.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice