Trip report - Feb. 15- Feb. 19th ** pics added** One more

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by amers, Feb 22, 2007.

1. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, we again had a wonderful time in Cancun. We took a 6:00 am flight on Thursday, Feb. 15th, from MN. When we left it was 0 degrees that morning, we couldn't wait to leave. When we arrived in Cancun about 9:45ish (a little early) it was already about 80 degrees! It was very easy to get our luggage, go thru customs and then when it was time to push the light we got a green one and we were off. We had arranged to use Cancun Valet, and we were a little confused where to find them, but we did find them in about 10 minutes (again, our flight was early so that may have been the problem) and we were off to the hotel. We were staying at the Gran Melia again (our third time) and we got there about 10:30 am, fully expecting for them to hang on to our bags and change our clothes to go the the pool and beach, but our rooms were actually ready!! It was great, we were at the pool by 11:00 am and stayed at the pool and the beach all day. It was a hot sunny day, which we loved. It think it got up to around 87 that day, which was what we wanted. We went with my husband's parents this time, and our kids again who are 7 and 9. We were going to go out to eat that night, but didn't time it the right way, so when we got on the bus it was quitting time and it was packed. That was fine, but we couldn't tell where we were so we got off by the Flamingo Plaza (we were going to go farther down) and decided to eat at Bubba Gumps. The food was good, and we ate outside. It was my father-in-law's birthday so we asked if they do anything for that, and the wait staff all comes out to sing to him and put a silly hat on him, and then they fed him a sunday! It was a lot of fun, he is a pretty quiet guy so it was fun to see. The we just looked at the shops at the mall for the kids to spend some of their money, and went back to the hotel.

The next day, Friday, we got up to a sunny morning with a ton of shells on the beach. We all went down and found a bunch of pretty and unique shells, and took a ton of pictures. After breakfast at the hotel, we got our suits on and did the pool and the beach again. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate that day, I think I read it got up to 75 that day, but it got cloudy and it did rain a little. We just relaxed inside for a little while in the afternoon, and then headed down to find a place to dinner. Last year when we were here we went to Carlos and Charlies and my daughter got a little crush on the waiter. Well, we were there again to see if he was working and he was going to be in in an hour. We went over to the little flee market to look around, until it was time for dinner. We went back to Carlos and Charlies and had the absolute best time!! Our waiter wasn't there yet, but we did ask if he could be our waiter. We had brought a picture from last year of him and my daughter, and gave it to another waiter to show him so he might remember my daughter. I saw when he got the picture and he got a big grin on his face. He came over to our table and was soo nice, he even asked why my husband was wearing a Texas hat since we were from Minnesota!! (none of us had any clothes or anything that said Minnesota, and we didn't mention that either) He also remembered that my daughter had made him a goodbye picture last year. He really fussed over my daughter and son, and made them feel so special. He made my daughter into the State of Liberty with straws, napkins, etc. and she had a blast. It was a lot of fun, and we had a great time.

The next day, Saturday, we decided to try that day to go over to Isla Mujeres. We had never gone there, but I printed off a post from Cancun Canuck that had written about it, and different things to do. We took the bus down to Puerto Juarez, and a man on the bus lived on Isla. When we got to the place that most people get off, he said it looked too crowded and why didn't we get off on the next stop. We did, and we were glad we did. At that stop there was a man telling us that for $25. a person we could have almost like a private tour of the island. We went over (just our group) on a boat, which was wet but that was fine, and we looked in some of the shops, and then went back to the boat. Then they took us to the Lighthouse Reef for snorkeling, which my son did for the first time and loved it. They next took us over to a spot where you could get in the water with a nurse shark, and hold it. My husband and his mom did that, and that was pretty cool. You only had to tip for that, there wasn't really a charge. We then ate lunch at Playa Tiburon, and had a great lunch. I thought it was very reasonably priced, for 6 of us for lunch and drinks it was only about $50. Then after lunch we got back on the boat, and went to another place to snorkel. I believe it was right before you got to the Garafon Park. Again, everyone had a lot of fun there. Then we wanted to check out a beach, but I think the guide on the boat didn't want to go all the way back to the north beach (the only thing that was kind of switched on us) but we went to another little beach and it was a cool place where my daughter found a really cool conch shell, and then we heard some noise and it looked like there was a dance recictal going on. We went over to see it, and it was pretty cool. By that time then we were ready to head back to Cancun, so off we went.

That night we just did a little more shopping, this time to show the parents La Isla shopping mall, and then just ate at Chilis. (I know, we have those here, but by that point the kids were starved) They must have been wiped out, they fell asleep after they were done eating and rested their eyes. (it was only 9:00)

Then our last full day there, Sunday, the weather was really windy and cool. (not compared to MN, but for what you typically think of for Cancun) We just went back and forth between the pool and the beach, but my husband and the kids were the ones in the water that day. It was still a good day though, and still had fun. That night we went and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe (my husband and I always go there at least one night) so we all went and had a good dinner. When we were done we went to say good bye to our waiter at Carlos and Charlies (he had told us to come back and say good bye before we left) and he came over right away and took a couple more pictures with us. My husband told him that we would see him next year, so my daughter and I are excited to think of another trip. :D Then it was time to go back to the hotel, and get packed up again.

Then we had to leave on Monday, we got picked up by Cancun Valet again, right on time with no problems. When we got back to MN, it was actually 40 degrees and didn't seem so bad.

All in all, we had another great time in Cancun. The weather wasn't as warm as we would have liked, but you never know with the weather. We really aren't people who have to escape the cold in the winter, so we are thinking of going back next year in April again. We still had a wonderful time, it is still beautiful there, the people are great and we just love it there. I would go there every year if we can. :D

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out some to do. We took about 250 pictures on one camera, and I'll just look for some fun ones.

Thanks for everyone's advice and all of the great ideas on what to do. This is a wonderful website, and I am glad that we found it.

If you would like to see some of the pictures, here is the link:

http://family.webshots.com/album/557802011UWCqbb

I hope that works. :D

P.S. I forgot, on Sunday when it was so cool and windy in the morning, we actually went back down to La Isla and went to the aquarium. If the weather would have been nice, we probably would not have done that. That was pretty cool to see, and the kids liked going there too. So if the weather isn't perfect, there still is other stuff to do. :D

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yay! A full and complete TR! :D :clap:

Good job, and thanx for sharing

3. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    very nice!!!!!!!

4. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    great trip report and pictures! thank you!

i cant wait to be there myself.

5. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very nice! :cool: Sounds like a great trip!

What cute kids!!!

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the report and pics, looks great.

My wife loves shell hunting are all the shells in your picture because of the beach reconstruction? She would die to find that many shells. Looks like you found quite a pile.

We are leaving next Thursday from Red Wing, Minnesota. Wish we had left for the cold snap, you picked a great time to leave.

7. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Excellent trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Jamie

8. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gonzo - the shells were there in full like that one morning, and not the next. As we were looking at all of them, the waves were washing them back out. But there still are a lot of shells. It was nice to leave when we did, but unfortunately we were still here for the majority of that freezing temps and below zero wind chills in Maple Grove too.

Oh, and Janie, thanks for saying we have cute kids. We think so of course, but it is nice to hear. :D

9. Cancun_bound

Cancun_bound Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great TR and pics. Thanks for posting!

10. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WooHoo Amers! Nice report and pictures! Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice