Trip Report April

Discussion in 'Breathless Riviera Maya Forum' started by ThumbsUp, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ThumbsUp

ThumbsUp Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    So we spent a week at Breathless RM during the second week of April.
    Our overall impression of the resort is that the grounds are very nice and the layout of the place is good as well. We spent the majority of our time at the Xcelerate pool and thought that the DJ's were good all week. Monday was probably the only day I felt like the music was a little bit too loud, but in general it was great. We enjoy EDM but if that isn't your cup of tea then you can certainly avoid it if you hang out in one of the other pools. They are definitely creating a bit of a Las Vegas pool party vibe and we liked that. We're in our 40s and we liked the crowd. Although we did notice as the week went along that on Friday and Saturday a lot of 20 somethings did show up for the weekend and the crowd changed a bit.

One of the reasons we booked a trip to Breathless is that they offer a top optional pool and we were hoping that there was at least a few others taking advantage of that. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday definitely delivered. At least 5-10 women joined in the fun. Unfortunately, as the younger crowd started arriving the women seemed to get more conservative, and all the tops stayed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It's definitely true that there's strength in numbers, as several women mentioned that they were willing to show some skin, but none wanted to be the first or the only one, and they also felt a little intimidated by a few of the groups of single 20 something guys. They felt that they might draw a little more attention from them than they cared for. So, as far as that goes, I suppose it makes a difference in the crowd the week you go.

We loved the restaurants and felt the food was good across the board pretty much everywhere we tried. The service at the restaurants was pretty good most of the time, but a couple times could have been a bit better. The bars all had pretty good service. The liquor isn't totally top shelf, but there is a pretty good selection. It was interesting that some liquors are not available at the pool bars, but they are at the others. I'm not sure they save a ton of money from keeping some brands out of those bars, but it didn't really bother me either.

The beach definitely has some seaweed buildup every day, and the surf at Breathless isn't the kind that makes you want to spend hours in the ocean, you may want to try Breathless Punta Cana. But the beach is definitely ok for sitting in a chair and catching some sun.

We told the folks at check-in that we didn't want to hear the pitch for the Unlimited Vacation Club and they didn't bother us about it after that.

We did join the Boobs Cruise catamaran trip from TTR on Friday and we had a good time. We got to see the new grounds and they looked nice. Breathless definitely draws a little more sophisticated crowd, but TTR definitely has people ready to bring the party. Our Goldilocks situation, would definitely be to take the sophistication of Breathless and inject a little bit more of the eroticism of TTR, but we still had a great time.

Anyone who has any questions, feel free to ask.

2. KCPhantom

KCPhantom Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thank you for the trip update. I have a few questions for you:

1. Do all the pools/hot tubs close down at 8pm? I've heard conflicting information that the Xcelerate hot tub stays open late into the night.
    2. Are any of the evening shows worth going too?
    3. How was the dance club? Did they have theme nights and if so was there any participation?

3. BandA

BandA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Thanks for the trip report! This makes me that much more excited for our trip in June.

I do have one follow-up question: What was your observation about bikinis for the women? Were most women wearing little coverage/thong style, or were they more of the traditional, what they would wear to a typical local pool type bikini?

4. ObiRey

ObiRey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Great report! Thanks for sharing.

In addition to KCP's dance club question: What was the club attire like over all?

Also, how much did it cost to taxi up to Temptations for the BBC?

5. WisconsinJimmy

WisconsinJimmy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +628 / 0
    Brent...what time in June will you be going? If its when we are going I know one female who will be in a thong for sure!

6. BandA

BandA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Oops. June on the brain but our trip is in July (19-23).

My wife is a no on thongs. She has agreed to a couple with a skimpier cut, but that is it. I know that if other women in our age range (30’s) are sporting something similar she will not feel quite as uncomfortable.

7. ThumbsUp

ThumbsUp Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I'll try to answer some of the follow up questions.
    The pools do close at 8. I kinda wish at least one of the hot tubs stayed open later. We did hear from a few folks who tried to use the Xcelerate tub after midnight and were "busted". Too bad they don't keep that one open, it would be a fun place to chill out late at night.

We sat through one and a half shows during the week. Neither was horrible, but we've seen much better at other resorts. One person said the weekend shows were better, but we didn't try them. We did enjoy a couple of the live performers that played down by the main bar at night- one night a really talented electric violin player played with a DJ very good and unique.

The nightclub was good the two nights we went. We saw no evidence of any theme nights.

bikinis for the ladies. Nothing super outrageous. Didn't see any WW, a few pretty skimpy sexy suits though. Several thongs each day, but certainly not a lot. Definitely a place some women bring the sexy though each day.

Club attire also sexy, but not much outrageous. But enough women dressing sexy enough that anyone who wants to push the envelope probably wouldn't feel very out of place.

bikini, club wear, or general, the resort is definitely more classy than racy, but racy isn't out of place. There are more ladies trending racy than dressing prudish. In our dream world, the resort would be populated with a few more women who went topless during the day and pushed the style sexier at night. But it's hard to know it that atmosphere is attainable without going TTR frat party scene.

The cab from Breathless to TTR for the Boobs Cruise cost $43. The cab back to Breathless cost $25. I have a feeling the cabs hailed by the valet at Breathless are somehow working on a different pay scale. The return cab was just a driver we found on the side street outside TTR waiting in a group of cabbies playing cards. Not sure if it's normal or not.

Other questions? certainly welcome to ask

8. ObiRey

ObiRey Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sounds like it's a good mix of sexy/classy. While we've got our swimwear all sorted, I'm unsure what accounts for clubwear these days. Back when I went clubbing, it was in college wear people dressed nice, but not really up. We'll need to do some research.

Too bad the hot tub is closed after dark... Best time to chill out in a hot tub is in the cool of the night. Hopefully our swim out is warm enough for more than just a quick dip at night. When we went to Jamaica last summer, the swim out was just cold enough at night that my better half didn't want to get in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice