trip report 2/12-2/18

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by K&T, Feb 20, 2014.

1. K&T

K&T Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's an overview of us: mid 40's, like to drink but don't start till 3ish so we are not the loud party people, I am a picky eater, and we are not 4 or 5 star people. been to TTR 2X and Hedo 4X. Here's OUR take on GOV:
    Room- had room on east wing on 7th floor overlooking quiet pool. Refurbished, not a spice room. Room was clean, newly painted and in perfect working condition with the exception of the fridge that was warm until we also realized it wasn't plugged in. After that it worked fine. Bathroom had a tub/shower. Always had plenty of hot water. No fan though. Would be nice to have a local weather channel so you can plan activities for stay.
    Resort- Beautiful, simple as that.
    Restaurants- like I stated, I am picky but ate so many things I never tried before and liked almost all. Great part about all-inclusive.
    Moroccan- ate 2x and never ate that type food before. 7 courses all pre-planned menu.
    Mexican- least favorite which did bother me since we are in Mexico. Shrimp and beef dishes overcooked
    Italian- delicious- wish we had more days to eat there again. Salmon dish and spicy penne dish awesome
    White Box- delicious- 10 course meal that has different categories you make selections from. Way too much food. We were full when we got to the main dishes so only sampled them. Highlights: fish and chips, mini burger, sea bass
    Buffet- always something to find that was good. Liked tacos from grill at lunch
    Wimpy's-good burgers, better crisp chicken but not always available
    Sushi bar- didn't try
    Japanese- couldn't get in our last night so ended up at Moroccan
    Would be nice to have Mexican rest. open for lunch instead of a smaller version of buffet breakfast so you could get authentic Mexican dishes while in Mexico. Missed having nachos and cheese as a snack in the afternoon.

Activities- Pilates, yoga, volleyball. Seen pictures of volleyball in ocean but no net set up. That would be fun. Could use other outdoor games like boccie ball and corn hole. Would also be nice to have a ping pong table somewhere.
    Nightlife- missed many due to eating and conversing w/friends during that time. Coyote bar was buzzing and lots of fun with many women taking turns on the poles. They had women from the hotel that would go up every so often during karaoke night but their moves were so mechanical and lacked enthusiasm. They actually sucked some of the life out of the party. When they got down and the guests got up it picked up again. They also turned singers away so those girls could do their lifeless dance which I didn't quite understand. Crowd was into the karaoke. Music good- band better. Didn't do pirate cruise because it was cool and water was choppy(I don't do good in choppy water).
    Drinks- yes, there were lines when only one or 2 bars open but like the idea of lines opposed to a free for all at the bar. Drinks not watered down or else we were getting buzzed off Mexican water and a number of people were getting carried back to their room from water.
    Beach- beautiful, although the plastic lounge chairs are torture. Could use float pads for them that could be taken in water(ie. Hedo). Nice beds if you can snag one. Looked like they are planning of putting some loungers in the shallow area on the main pool.
    There is a kiosk to do a survey in the VIP area but we didn't get a chance before we left(6:30am) so I hope Velentina or Adriana read this.
    We very much enjoyed our stay and would come back here over TTR since it fits our style.

2. esparamedic12

esparamedic12 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So glad you had a great time.. Cant wait to get there in MAY, Thanks for the trip review

3. breezesfan

breezesfan Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TO be honest, we were kinda getting worried after our stay at GOV in Nov with all of the bad reviews in Jan. Very happy to see the latest round of very positive reviews from CCC folks (we know we can trust). We really didn't care for TTRs beach and my wife of 42 years has stated she might divorce me if I force Hedo back on her again. And Breezes is History.

4. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great TR. Things seem to be getting much better. Hope it keeps going.

5. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    :partyhorn:Thank you so much for the report. I really appreciate all the detail on the activities--I was worried it was just going to be endless wave-watching, but it sounds like there's lots to do if you choose.

And I promise to show some enthusiasm if they let me get my hands on those poles!:partyhorn:

--Laura

6. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
    very awesome TR, thanks for the detail. Same question, would you recommend water floatation devices to float on in the ocean and hang out? how can the beach be more fun party atmosphere for a group of 6-8 ?

7. Western Iowa Traveler

Western Iowa Traveler Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0

Perfect solution, lets round up more people, why stop at 6-8?

8. K&T

K&T Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beach activities

Some people did bring rafts as we did also. Problem was blowing it up. Entirely too much work. Would suggest putting one of those small pumps used for exercise balls in luggage. Also people throwing Frisbee, football, and regular balls in the ocean since it's knee high. One of those beer pong rafts could be fun. Could also use as float. Would also suggest taking a few "big" cups to fill so not as many trips to bar while playing.

9. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
    48oz bubba mug check, ocean floaties check, massage oil no mess bars check, fetish suit check, lots of slezy sexy dresses check. Hurry up Wednesday

10. jellyman0

jellyman0 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Somebody brought a beer pong raft to the pool while we were there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice