Treats/Gifts for the Staff......??

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by somebeachsomewhere, Jan 22, 2014.

1. somebeachsomewhere

somebeachsomewhere Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    We understand you pay for the vacation and you tip the staff etc...........but sometimes we like to bring something a little extra for those that seem to go above the call of duty making the trip that much more enjoyable. The maid that does a good job and leaves fun little towel designs, the bartender that's always smiling/laughing and has your drink ready as soon as he sees ya coming, a manager like Valentina taking the time to join a forum such as CCC (and possibly others) and making a valid effort to do what she can to satisfy all requests........etc etc.

The question is this.....besides the usual hat or t-shirt etc......what would be a special treat or small gift that the staff would really enjoy/appreciate? What do we have in Canada or the USA that they really like but don't have? We had heard before that treats like gum.......especially "Chiclets".....are very well received.

Comments? Ideas?

2. MelnReg

MelnReg I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    To be honest, from our experience in Mexico it's $$$. Unlike Dominican or Cuba. Cancun is more americanized and has just about everything a person would need. Corner stores with gum, chocolate bars chips etc. We always just tip with US dollars or MX pesos and give extra to the ones that do extra. Someone can correct me but I'm pretty sure that's what most travelers do. This is probably our 14th trip to Cancun?

3. desire-66

desire-66 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just do it discreetly if not money. The workers aren't allowed to take gifts. Don't want to get them fired.

We have many times in cabo tried to get bartender food when dead or even smokes. He had to really be careful not to get caught.

The workers work 12 hours days for 7 bucks a day.

Treating them with respect and few bucks is the best gift they can get. IMO

4. JoeMar

JoeMar Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    The two things that every staff member likes to receive are cash and respect.

5. Edward-Alli

Edward-Alli Photofucker Registered Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 7
    If giving a gift you have to write and sign a note that you are giving a item as a gift to a staff member. This avoids them getting fired. Had to do that last year giving a t-shirt.

6. iacouple45

iacouple45 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    We have done this many times, as long as signed and room number, we have told there is no problem

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I agree with MelnReg, there really isn't much you can't get here that you can get in the US or Canada. Even with foodstuffs there are lots of American brands, and I'd expect the lines you can't get here the staff wouldn't be familiar with anyway.

Chiclets are available in every store for a peso or two and might come across as a bit insulting. Sports stuff such as shirts and caps might be well received but will often get sold on or bartered.

Monetary tips for the bartenders and waiters etc are usually the best thing to give. For the Managers then a monetary tip might be embarrassing for them. Valentina has a 1yr old baby girl so maybe something for her daughter would be nice, the same kind of stuff you'd give to someone for their baby at home.

8. somebeachsomewhere

somebeachsomewhere Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    Agreed.......$ and respect is the best........and we do that each & every time. The "Chiclets" thing was more of a Cuba trip treat.......got that one mixed up. We usually bring some kid's clothes etc and we have signed a letter so the staff member does not get in trouble. We were just wondering what if anything the staff here or anywhere in Mexico would particularly enjoy.

Thanks for the input Steve.........sounds like a little girl item it is.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes for Cuba, they really do find it hard to come by things most of us would find as normal. I've heard of people taking hotel freebie bottles of shampoo and soap etc to Cuba, but Cancun is very different.

I'd say the best advice is to just think of what you might buy someone at home as a gift and do the same.

10. dewder

dewder Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    8th year running and I always bring gifts !
    Iam a proud Canadian and everything we bring is Canadian !
    I love sports and I have given sports things to certain staff , I always ask who they are cheering for in the Superbowl and just their expression tells me if they enjoy sports ! My coffee and Baileys mixer said he was a NE Patriot fan I happened to have a Budweiser Patriot shirt up in the room , the next morning it was his and that was an amazing moment !
    I go downtown at least once a trip and bring bouncy balls or Baseballs with our flag on them for the children ! again amazing to throw the ball around with a little guy for a couple minutes ! Tash will bring bracelets (again Canadian) for the little girls we might see on the bus or street.
    And for my good friend Borris I always bring him a giant can of Molson Canadian ! some of the long time staff also get booze ! I also try to dig up old photos from 8+ years ago with both the staff member and myself in them .... we both always get a kick out of that !
    I guess I kind of do it for myself more , I enjoy it , and believe they do as well .

All this being said gifts are no replacement for monetary tips !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice