#@$%#^$%# Transitos!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've lived here almost five years. During that time I've been stopped three times, guilty each time, but only one ticket. The combination of a New York license plated vehicle and an FM3 is usually enough for the officer to give a little lecture, hand me back my Florida license and wish me a good day. I guess it's just too confusing.

At the moment, my snazzy German car is at the dealer, waiting for a 15 dollar part to arrive from the Fatherland. I'm driving a renter, complete with red license plates and a big rental company logo on the back bumper. I have turned into chum and bait for transitos, having been stopped twice in the past week FOR NO REASON.

I admit it when I'm caught speeding or blowing a yellow light, but on these two stops I wasn't doing anything other than looking like a tourist. Each time a discussion of my length of residence in Cancun, combined with asking the officer for his name, has resulted in a hand shake and hasta luego (I hope not).

Today, while heading towards the airport on Tulum I was stopped again by a black-shirted Transito on a motorbike for a totally made-up reason (He says I passed two cars on the right. I didn't). This time the request for a mordita was plain and blatant: "You can pay on Monday, or you can pay today." Incredible cajones! No subtlety at all!

We negotiated to 100 pesos. Done deal, on my way. BTW, I really like the Municipal, Federal and now Transit police wearing black uniforms in 100 degree weather. It's also good when they direct traffic at night. Ninja police with magic flashlights.

As a word of warning, the stretch of Tulum between the BMW dealer at the corner of Bonempak and the turn off to the airport has turned into Sniper Alley. You have to run a gauntlet of Transitos. We counted 9 trucks and 3 bikes about an hour ago. Where's that F-111 stealth vehicle when you need it?

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ..... all I can say is I agree with the #@$%#^$%# Transitos!! title.....

Mexico loses untold 100's of MILLIONS every year from lost tourism as a result of that BS. Some suggest that its becasue of poor pay.. I tend to think its more because they are allowed to get away with it... if they would start throwing them in jail it would stop pretty quick I think... but at WORST they get fired.... and that's super rare... You would think they could afford to put cameras on their vehicles if they have enough money to get new cars every year.... but I image the cameras would "malfunction" a lot even if they did... :roll:

3. hodamayo

hodamayo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Way to go Mel, so you put your old cloths on and they found you again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice