timeshare question??

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by tonyrukuz, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tonyrukuz

tonyrukuz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hello, I just got back from my third time at TTR and of course want to go back, I am trying to find a less expensive way and heard that you can purchase a week from timeshare holders which cost alot less than the "expedia" or "redtag" route. Have any of you done this? any info you can provide would help. Thanks

2. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    I have actually seen them on EBAY

3. Bonez

Bonez Addict Registered Member

The true birthplace of the greatest sport on froze
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Search here and find out the horrors for those that have been sucked in on the timeshare trip. Costs end up being well over double what you get booking conventionally by the time all the little extras are added in. Worst is the timeshare is worthless once you are back here. There was talk of a call action lawsuit at one point.

4. tonyrukuz

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    wow, thanks... i wasnt planning on purchasing a timeshare in whole, just a week from someone selling thiers.. didnt realize that there are extra costs.

I've seen them on ebay and other sites for as low as $300 for a week but again didnt realize there were hidden charges.

5. MikePC

MikePC Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't know about the hidden costs and such, but we were considering the timeshare weeks we saw on eBay, but realized that most of them were just selling the "right to use" the timeshare and all the member perks that came with it, but didn't actually include the cost of the room itself. We'd still have to pay the normal rate through the hotel in addition to paying the timeshare person for the "right to use". Even though the member perks were nice, it wasn't going to really save us much money since it was all stuff we didn't really need and wouldn't have paid for in the first place anyway.

So yeah, if you look for timeshare weeks online, make sure you can tell whether you're paying for the actual room, or just the "right to use" the room.

6. hcube

hcube Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have checked into buying on ebay. It seems like you would be treated like a member when you get there. However, you do need to pay the all inclusive fee on top of whatever you pay the person for the room. that rate may be a little less for members however. In the end I gave up the idea. We booked in through armed forces vacation travel once. They buy up RCI weeks and offer to veterans and government workers. We paid I think $246 a week plus the regular AI fee. We were treated well and got a few perks, even a jacuzzi room and a trip with the resort to the island. Have been back 3 times to TTR since and have saved money via other deals.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;128/st/20110413/e/TTR/dt/-1/k/1244/event.png[/img

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. tonyrukuz

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Thanks guys,, guess I'm goin to have to look elsewhere for deals..

8. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    Good luck

Flying from Canada , its usually cheaper to book a package deal. ie sunquest
    alba tours ....... they charter there own flights and get blocks of rooms.
    Ive tried buying separately and its always more. depends on the month you leave too.April used to be $tupid from Ottawa. This year they extended flights and we dont have to go to Toronto and good prices.
    this year i found flightcenter.ca to be 10% cheaper then itravel2000.
    Good luck:typing::xyxthumbs:

9. chillinvillian

chillinvillian Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

When you used the Armed Forces Vacation Club how much was the AI fee?

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Hehe, those that have been around a few years will remember that's exactly what we used to do on cancuncare. Buy up bulk Premier nights and resell at a discount, all the benefits of the timeshare without the commitment. Sold like hot cakes and the hotel loved it until we got too succesful, filled up all the rooms and other people started copying the concept.

Then TTR pulled the plug and told us we couldnt do it any more, couple of weeks after my business partner invested $20K in 1000 nights. I think he's got something like 980 left.

That was 5 years ago, still pisses me off to this day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice