Thunderbolts and Lightning

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by spunky, Jul 31, 2009.

1. spunky

spunky Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yikes!

Our upcoming week in Cancun is soothsayed for a solid week of Thunderstorms...

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/76590.html

I could go to Mexico and have my tan fade!

Hopefully the long-range forecasts there are as inaccurate as here.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

2. DavenRose

DavenRose I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't worry.....that is the forecast everyday in Cancun...it is the tropics!!

Just have fun

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yep, if you went by the online forecasts we'd have 350 days of rain a year!

Over the last week it hasnt rained once, 90+ everyday and very humid. Persistent rain, if it happens at all, never lasts longer than a couple of days.

4. Beverly

Beverly 2nd day member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of about 23, 24 or 25 trips in the last 8 years, we've only had one bad weather vacation. Unfortunatly that was last Oct, but all the rest have always been beautiful. The other thing that I know for sure is that just cause they are forcasting rain, doesn't mean it will rain at temptations. We've been downtown before and drove through what seems like a monsoon only to get back to the resort and it never rained a drop.

5. RobnStew

RobnStew Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    It does generally T-storm somewhere in the vicinity of Cancun nearly every day in the summer - the heat builds up over the jungle, gets fed by the moist air off the gulf, and you get T-storms inland. That said, Cancun is NOT inland.

On our stay two summers ago, same time frame, every afternoon, the thunderheads would build up inland - occasionally, they'd tower high enough/close enough to block the sun and if we walked to the inland side of the hotel, we could watch the lightning show from 15 miles away. But, they stayed away. We only had one spit of rain the week we were there.

They do get a bit more rain in Riviera Maya as the resorts are on the shore of the land - one of our best "vacation whoopie" experiences was in a thundershower on our balcony at the Riu Palace in Playacar ... just have to make the best of it.

6. spunky

spunky Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no worries

for the week just past, the forecast called for thunderstorms every day in cancun... but the weather was fantastic!

i did see a thunderstorm off in the distance one night.

it rained just twice, each time for only 5 to 10 minutes, and was localized to a small area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice