The "Plague" Has now Been confirmed! lol

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by whdream, Apr 23, 2009.

1. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33963.aspx

Mystery Ailment Affects Canadians Returning From Mexico
    Thursday April 23, 2009
    CityNews.ca Staff
    It's one of the most popular travel destinations for Canadians looking to escape the harsh northern winters. But over the past few years, Mexico has received ongoing black eyes over concerns about personal safety (the murder of a Woodbridge couple), business ethics (last week's hotel debacle over the failure of Conquest Vacations) and its justice system (the long saga of Brenda Martin.)

But now there's a new worry for Great White Northerners travelling south of the U.S. border - health. The Public Health Agency of Canada is looking into a growing number of reports about Canadians returning from the south and central parts of the country with a severe respiratory illness.

The mystery malady has puzzled experts both here and in Mexico, who have yet to identify exactly what it is. The ailment seems to primarily affect young adults who went on their trips healthy but failed to return in the same condition.

The symptoms begin as a flu-like illness and rapidly deteriorate to respiratory distress and breathing difficulties.

Doctors in Mexico are well aware of its presence. At least 20 people have died there so far - mostly patients between the ages of 25 and 44. Hundreds more have been sent to hospital, with some winding up on ventilators.

Even health care workers have gotten sick treating those who are infected - a disturbing similarity to what happened in Toronto during the SARS crisis in 2003.

Doctors on this side of the border are being advised to look out for patients coming in with the symptoms, while the Pan American Health Organization - a division of the World Health Organization - is attempting to diagnose what the bug might be and how to stop it.

Some experts believe it could a severe form of late season influenza but they haven't been able to confirm anything yet and are testing to see if it's a new kind of virus they're not familiar with.

Symptoms include:

Fever,
    Cough,
    Sore throat,
    Muscle and joint pain,
    Shortness of breath.
    It turns into severe breathing problems about five days after the initial infection surfaces.

What should you do if you think you or a loved one has been affected and when should you worry? The outbreak is relatively recent so you if you've been back for a few weeks, you're probably O.K. And if you don't suffer from the major symptoms, you're more likely to have a common cold than anything else.

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, if you get sick when you're out of the country, you're required to tell a customs officer as you re-enter, in case you need special treatment.

If you become ill after returning, see your doctor as soon as possible and tell your physician where you've been and what care you received while you were away.

So far, no warnings on travel to the country have been issued although authorities are recommending any Canadians heading to Mexico get a flu shot. They say there's no real reason to worry and most experts say you shouldn't cancel any planned trips to the country.

For more ways to safeguard your health before leaving Canada, click here.

2. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard about this...glad you found the story on it!!

3. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just thought it was Plague like.

But in all seriousness, the mention SARS in that article nothing to laugh about!!

So people beware!

4. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    not much you can really do about it to be honest. I think there is already another thread about this also. No warnings under the USA health or anything either. Bad press like this is yet ANOTHER reason people are afraid of mexico.......... among other things. :lol:

5. NickyD

NickyD I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Don't go! hha!

6. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^^^ worst advice ever

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    look who its coming from :lol: No suprise there!

8. steveo_85

steveo_85 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont worry about it just go there and party your ass off :D

SB2010 woohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

9. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think it's bad press Jason. I think it's a medical article stating facts. Nothing wrong with being educated. And by no means is it meant to deter people from Mexico.

10. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I mean, Mexico gets a pretty bad rap as it is.....but this is actually a good source for people to use to plan out what precautions need to be taken before you go and during the trip. Perhaps when that guy asked if there were shots to be taken before going, we could have known about this one too....although we all know the plague, just never knew how to beat it :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice