Telcel Amigo in the US?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Isla Zina, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My niece has died and I will be in the US for a week. I have a lot of credit on the iPhone through Amigo TelCel and wonder what the odds of me being able to use it for emergency communication during our bereavement. Can I use the credits already on the phone (2mil) or....? Thanks.

2. JeffandShannan

JeffandShannan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry for your loss,
    I have used my Amigo SIM in DFW and ATL airports. Might be worth a stop into one of their offices and confirm there is nothing else you need to do (I know about 2 years ago we had to officially register the SIM with a valid ID.
    Link below might give you further insight.

Safe travel

Telcel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roaming
    Telcel offers international roaming services to subscribers as well as pre-paid users. Telcel has entered into approximately 385 such agreements covering GSM and TDMA D-AMPS networks around the world. Telcel offers international roaming services including special rates to subscribers roaming in the U.S. border, the U.S., Canada and other markets.
    [edit]

3. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you cross the border your cell phone screen will switch from Telcel to AT&T and the per minute charge will be three times more...but it will work.

4. Isla Zina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. Do I need to dial anything special to access ATT? I will be in ATT territory the whole time.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will lock you on automatically to the strongest signal available. Same thing happens when a US phone is turned on here. Same thing too that it is deadly expensive.

This happens here if you have TMobile. Not sure if the opposite occurs there but if you TMobile phone is on here and you don't answer, if it goes to voice mail there is a $2 US charge per call. This does not count if you retrieve the msg. I would suggest leaving the phone off IF you only want to use it for outgoing calls.

So sorry for your loss Zina. I lost a friend Friday night and was at the funeral yesterday afternoon and night. It's never easy. Be strong.

6. Isla Zina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI it worked great! I put 1000 pesos on it, got 2000; talked when necessary and had it on airline mode and wifi most of the time. Returned with 1200 peso credits. Seamless!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice