surrending fm3/fm2

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by playagrandma, Oct 6, 2011.

1. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well have many years in Mexico-my husband and I need to move back to the states. His fm2 expires in January-my fm3 not until June. Our plans are to leave the middle of november. Should we surrender them at immigration in Playa del Carmen where we live or just wait until we leave and surrender at the airport. We are hoping this is not a complicated situation. Thank you!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It´s an interesting question you ask, Grandma, but what would be the downside, as you understand it, to simply letting them expire while you´re out of the country? If you ever decided to come back, you could then just start over with a new application. Have you heard or read something that made you think otherwise?

3. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    My daughter left in July - we were told by immigration that she had to surrender her FM3 at the airport which she duly did.

4. playagrandma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

V I guess I had heard what Tracey is saying. I dont expect to come back to live-only a visitor and then would just come in on an fmm. Really just curious if anyone knew the actual procedure.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have friends with FM3's and they left for Belize, letting their FM3's expire while they were gone. They returned immediately thereafter as tourists, then applied for and obtained new FM3's and were good to go. They are self employed and had their attorney doing this and it was he who recommended this maneuver.

6. playagrandma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm2/fm3

Thank you T.J. I do believe that is the best way to go. I hate to involve immigration before we exit. And I dont believe we will worry about applying at a future date. Its time to move on for us.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Grandma,
    I do not disagree with TraceyUK's daughter was told but it just makes sense that if the FM3 is going to expire, then that is what it is - EXPIRED - and cannot be used for reentry into Mexico, or anything else.

In 2008 I had to renew my passport prior to its expiration in order to renew my FM3. The US Consulate in Merida, accepted my application, and returned my passport although they punched holes in every page.

Another interesting thing during that process, is that they offered a courier service for $100 where the new passport was delivered to my door. I got two emails from the courier that basically said "We will be delivering your new passport. Please have your passport available for identification as we will need this before we can deliver your new passport. Go figure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice