Steve - How about a new forum for Temptations Cabos?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by PaulAndDarcy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. PaulAndDarcy

PaulAndDarcy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Think that a new forum for Temptations Cabos is in order? Calendar. etc?

Paul

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind.

Actually for a long time I've been planning to move the forum over to some new forum software that will more easily facilitate the addition of more targeted sub forums without detracting from the Cancun nature of the board. I dont want the board to become just a "Temptations board" and perhaps drive people away such as the spring breakers and others looking for general Cancun advice.

I've been holding off as it is quite a big and risky job importing all existing posts and user accounts into a completely new system but I do need to bite the bullet someday soon.

3. jamesanddiva

jamesanddiva Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Steve never makes impulse decisions for the board. I think that is why this board has been successful and active for many years. Thanks Steve.

4. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hola , think it is a good idea. Is there ever any interest in Bluebay Club people posting? Never looked though the entire forum not sure if they have a vocie any where. Also what about Desire do they have a vocie any where? Terry

5. RobnStew

RobnStew Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    My company has successfully used V-Bulletin's software to drive forums and that's a super-flexible software. Not sure if that's the one you're considering but ... it works pretty well. I'd recommend the purchase of their Owned License Model - only $180 for first year and perpetual after that, and if you want updates, it's only $60/year after.

It scales beautifully.

Good luck.

Best,

Stew

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yes, it will be VBulletin. Probably with the blog add on and definitely vbseo package plus custom designed skin. Converting the database with this many posts and user accounts over to a new system is not without its dangers but doable so quite a few things to pull together.

7. RobnStew

RobnStew Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Cool, seems to be the most solid in the business right now.

Amen on the DB conversion - whee!

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just import the user DB with the post count into VBulletin and start fresh.

If you wanted to import some content, I'd import just the sticky topics, and then in this system, just go through and lock every topic and post a link to it on the new forum software as "Old Temptation Forum - go here to read old posts and threads".

We successfully migrated a user group forum for our software in this way and it worked like a charm. People adapt.

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yes, that would be one way. Another might be to just import the last 6 months or 12 instead of everything going back more than 5 years.

Ideally, I'd like to import the whole lot to keep links within existing posts intact and retain the search functionality for obscure queries, but need to research more on it. It's one of those things I spend a couple of hours on from time to time and then end up putting off for another day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice