Sprint cell service in Mexico

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by beachgurl75, Jun 13, 2010.

1. beachgurl75

beachgurl75 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone verify whether or not their blackberry service, with Sprint will work in Cancun? Specifically, I have the curve 8530. Sprint's website gives me conflicting information. And the telephone reps also give me conflicting information. One person says yes it will work, and another says no. So I just wanted to see if anyone else uses Sprint + blackberry. I know sprint phones in general work in mexcio, its the blackberry curve 8530 that may have an issue.

2. CapeCodShorties

CapeCodShorties Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    i have sprint and my cell service was fine. i dont have a blackberry....i just have a cheap texting phone

3. beachgurl75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well for anyone else with Sprint: I called Sprint today again and was told yes, my phone will work (Blackberry). It costs $1.69 per minute for any phone calls. Data services cost 0.002 per kb, and texting costs 0.50 to send, and 0.15 to receive. They do have a temporary data plan that you can add on for each day that you'll be in Mexico for $1.33 per day, for unlimited data (e-mail, surfing, facebook, etc). :) So it looks like it will be cheaper for me to purchase a calling card in Mexico. We used our cell phones in Cabo last year (with Verizon) and it was 0.99 per minute, but we still paid about $60 in those phone calls! Sprint is way more expensive than Verizon per minute, hence the reason for us to purchase the calling cards. But for a $1.33 per day, I can surf away (hopefully) and not pay the internet charges at the resort. But I will definitely not be texting (I hope), but I can't control the texts I receive.

4. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Sprint and had all data services turned off when I was in Cancun in May. I just connected to the resorts wireless every day and emailed the ones I had to email. I guess it's good to have cell service if you HAVE to talk or want it for emergencies if that was the case, but $1.69 per MINUTE. OUCHHHHHHHH

5. beachgurl75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's disappointing to hear that the data services didn't work there, despite Sprint telling me that it would and even offered me a rate of $1.33 per day for data services. So I guess we shall see (I'm going in July).

6. Markd1011

Markd1011 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sprint has an international deal it is like 4.99 per mo and I was on Isla Mujeres last April and I used what ever I wanted and my extra's were only 45.00 for 10 days
    Call the international dept and they can give you the right answers..good luck!

7. ncsurf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I don't know if it worked or not because I turned them off before I arrived in Cancun because I didn't want to be roaming and looking for a signal the whole time. I went there with the intentions of just emailing on a daily basis and not even thinking of using my phone to talk or text. I didn't take my laptop so I just used the WIFI on my smartphone and connected to the resort wireless network and it worked perfectly. When I got back from Cancun my next Sprint bill did not change at all, was the same amount it is each month. I feel like if I didn't turn of the mobile setting on the phone it would have been looking for a signal and I would have came back to a $300 bill for nothing.

I say if you don't have to talk or text just settle with email and don't worry about the international plan or worrying about whether you bill is going to skyrocket when you return. You could even take a laptop and chat on yahoo messenger or AIM for FREE if you want that talking in realtime experience. Have fun

8. ncsurf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that sounds like a good deal, if it works on Isla Mujeres that good and only cost $45.00, then I think it is worth checking into for sure.

9. Delicious

Delicious Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I took my BB in April, I just turned off the data.
    If you want to make phone calls I suggest you buy a phone card from the gift shop it's only $10 and I believe I got aout 30 - 45 mins talk time to Canada. Also if you need the internet they have computers there that you can use for free.

BTW if you do decide to buy a phone card make sure you buy it at the gift shop at the resort not off the resort. If you buy a calling card off the resort you can't use the phones on the resort...I found out the hard way...lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice