SPICES

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Nov 4, 2009.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone happen to know where i can get the following spices, everyone i've asked in the family so far, hasn't even heard of Tumeric (Curcuma), i'm hoping somewhere has it?

Cardomoms (Cardomomo)
    Cumin (Comino)
    Nutmeg (Nuez Moscada)
    Saffron (Azafran)
    Root Ginger (Jengibre)
    Tumeric (Curcuma)

Is there a special spice shop or a market that would have all of these?

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Soriana usually has root ginger. It's in the corner of the produce section, in the cooler to the left of the door to the back room.

Soriana also usually has nutmeg, saffron and cumin. Turmeric I have not seen here ever, that I recall. Cardamom I have seen but you are going to hunt for it.

I think you are going to end up on a spice quest. Let us know where you find things.

3. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yesterday, I checked out the new part of Plaza Las Americas (Malecon Americas). In the new Liverpool, there is a Gourmet Foods section. I didn't check every product, by any means, but they did have spices and lots of interesting (and yummy!) items that I've not seen in other stores here. They have spices too, but not sure about the selection. It's actually a pretty nice store and worth the trip to the mall to see it. Hopefully, they will have some of the items on Sam's list.

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try Mercado 23, they have a lot of spices. Of course not very fancy!

5. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    You can buy fresh ginger in walmart and I have seen saffron there.
    Tracey

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tips, I will try Mercardo 23, i mentioned this to the Grandma-In-Law and she said she thought they only sold weird medicines and not spices but i'm sure i saw a shop with big bags of all different kinds of spices? Going to look this weekend and if i'm successful then it's curry time and i don't mean a soapy one from one on Tulum or a 1000 pesos one from La Isla! You think they import their spices?

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    INDIAN FOOD

Sam, as it happens, we have all those spices in our home!

As something to think about, for the future- I don't know if others like to cook, and eat, Indian food as much as "we" do (I take care of most of the second task), but we've had a lot of fun in other places we've lived with "Indian Cooking Clubs" in which each family prepares one dish, sometimes two, for an amazing pot luck dinner!

8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: INDIAN FOOD

Hey V, an Indian cooking club sounds good, just need someone to workout how to do the Poppadums and the Keema Naans (think they got a clay oven in Tacos Rigo we could use!) :)

We had some packets that which have just the right amount of spices included, that Matt very kindly brought me from England but they're just enough to do the one curry and sadly i'm down to the last two, both Chicken Madras. I'm desperate to attempt the Tikka Massala or the Korma again, as i almost got it very good last time of trying.

I'd kill for an Indian at the local in New Romney, Kent, was delicious every time, although never cheap!

I take it you aquired some of your spices from out of the country or did you buy Tumeric here? It seems this is the mysterious spice not for sale in these lands.

9. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Sam
    superama now has 3 different Asda "extra special" curry sauces. Obvioulsy not as good as a true Indian but great for a mid week fix.
    Korma, Tikka Masala and Dopiaza.
    Also I have found good popadums in Europea.
    Tracey

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's nice in that new part of Las Americas, could do with a few more stores open and i can't help but feel it's geared towards the people in Cancun with a bit more money than the rest (a bit like Paseo Cancun), i just hope they open up another food court in there or a nice selection of restaurants, because Las Americas could do with a few better options for eating, we've got to a point where now we only eat from the Italian Steakhouse which has the best burgers in downtown, besides Carls Jr for 69 pesos, everything else for sale isn't that nice really.

The new Liverpool had Tim Tams (for us Brits, like Penguin Chocolate Bars but nicer) and they had 50% off, have to get there quick though as they said that was the end of them! It's crap when they finally start selling something good and then say they won't be getting any more in, especially in a country where you can buy pigs trotters!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice