Spending Money??

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by SouthernMiss, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SouthernMiss

SouthernMiss Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Again Everyone,

First, thanks so much for all the help with my last question. I have a few more, though im sure they are not the last! =)

How much is the average you would need in spending money for the week? We will mostly be beach/pool bums, but we will want to go get some trinkets and do the Isla island tour and maybe go with the resort to Coco Bongo? I was thinking $300?

Also, what is the average for tips for a 7 day stay? I was thinking at least $100 - $150 in $1 bills.

Are these amounts about right? More? Less?

Thanks

Val

2. MeagMarie

MeagMarie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I stayed 7 days at Sun Palace a few years ago and I ended up tipping about $100 in ones.

We didnt do any of the tours but most tours run around $50 pp so if you wanted to do Coco Bongo and then go scuba diving at the lsland then I would say for 2 people you would want to take around $250-$300.

There is also a really awesome mall area. Lots of neat stores. Its also where they have Hooters, Planet Hollywood, all of the commercial type eateries and stores. I did end up buying a few things there as I did find some really cute clothing boutiques that sold american style clothing with prices that were somewhat less than american prices. So I would think $50 to $100 if you are just grabbing a few t-shirts and small knick knacks.

3. 87crxsi

87crxsi Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually take 400-500. Don't usually spend it all though. We usually use about 200-250 for tips. Mainly ones. But there are certain people I tip more. Like the maid and such. Usually tip during the day at the tiki bar but we give a big tip at the end of our trip because those guys take great care of us. Last summer was our second time there but as soon as we walked up to the bar fonzi had our beers poured and a shot for me. Even remembered our names

4. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I've taken anywhere from 100 bucks total to 2500. I don't do much clubbing. I do the open air bars and they are free or have a minimal charge if you choose not to drink.

As far as the island tours... I do them on my own. They are cheaper and you have more freedom which is what I would recommend as well.

One trip to isla mujeres is 17/p for ferry from the closest ports and about 45 a day for the golf cart.

The trinkets, tshirts, etc.... are priced high. NEVER pay that price! lol. If you don't leave with the item for nearly half the price initially offered.... you are getting ripped off. If you walk out of the store they will say "Ok. Wait! for you, my friend.... I give you for 5 dollars!" lol or a more appropriate price. Tshirts are usually about 3 bucks or free if you buy a couple other items. Don't be too shy to ask "Can you throw a t shirt in for free"? A sombrero should be less than 15. Even the biggest ones. I was happy that my sombrero started at 40 and I talked him down to 15.... just to find out when I got on the plane that another guy who was wearing his only paid 7 :( lol.

Shot glasses are 1-3 bucks or free if you guys a few other items.

When I can afford to I usually bring on average about 150-200 ones. PLEASE only tip if the service is good. Don't let anyone make you feel pressured to tip. Tipping has the habit of increasing the quality of service but I wouldn't tip someone who sucked to suck more lol. Plus if someone treats me badly before they even know how much i will tip them that doesn't say much about their work ethic. :)

The bus is the equivalent of like 50-60 cents. If you don't have pesos they will take your whole dollar with no change though. I never take taxi's. I have heard a lot of horror stories and I've been SEVERELY ripped off a lot of times. I was told only 40 pesos to get to the airport and then when I got there he said oh no 40 dollars. Thats a HUGE difference and I honestly didn't have it. Police are on the mexican's side obviously so there is no sense in arguing sadly. Buses are quick, efficient, they come every few minutes AND if you look at your ticket, sometimes there are coupons on them! :)

5. SouthernMiss

SouthernMiss Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Everyone! I'm gonna go with the $150 in ones for tips. Worse case we can get more out if needed.

HammieJ you are a great wealth of information! Unfortunately, I am going with a group. Some of which have never traveled overseas before. I know we could save money doing things on our own, but for ease and consistency with the group we are probably gonna just book with the hotel. We might give it a try, but I don't want to deal/worry about 16 people catching taxis or city buses so we will see.

I did 9 days by myself in Jamaica last year and had a blast exploring and going to markets. I can haggle with the best of them! I don't know some of the people coming that well, so I am not sure how they will do though...we will find out in a few months!

6. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    <3 <3 I completely understand! Just thought I would put it out there just in case! :) I'm always trying to save when I can because that just means more money for other things.... like strippers, lol jk. :)

I've never been to Jamaica! It's on my list though! LOL. I keep going back to cancun.... I just can't get enough.

The hagglers at the market are soooooo crazy that they need their own show. I need to video tape them somehow. they are seriously hilarious. And they will touch you! lol. They touch my arm, my shoulder, my waist, etc when I'm walking out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice