Shells? Where to find them?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by BostonT, Apr 23, 2010.

1. BostonT

BostonT Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all...
    I am trying to find a good place to find shells and such for my 7th grade bio class here in Cancun. I know where to look in Maine but here I have no clue.
    Thanks for your help!
    T

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are some great places to find shells in Isla Mujeres, I found a lot on the east side of the island close to the north end of the island. You can walk along the boardwalk (malecon) there until you see a patch of shells and then climb down to get them. I found tons of nice beach glass there too.

I'm not sure about Cancun, I don't recall ever seeing too many shells at once here.

Be aware that US Customs will very likely not allow you to enter the country with shells, they are considered an animal product. Lots of people bring home shells and don't have issues. But I know of several who have had their shells seized by US Customs.

And once U.S. Customs catches you with something you shouldn't have they make a habit out of checking you every time you go through. My sis-in-law always, always, always gets checked by US Customs because she got caught once 8 years ago bringing food from Mexico to the U.S. It's not a list you want to be on.

3. Katie9136

Katie9136 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only shells I have ever found in Cancun were all broken and ugly. I've only looked a couple times when I first got here though. The most awesome shells I have found, and I was totally being a tourist, was in Holbox. It is a neat little island a couple hours away from Cancun (on the way to Chichen Itza) If you are looking for some shells, try there.

But if Rivergirl is right, I probably wouldn't even bother. You could try to check them in your bag instead of carry them on if you really were determined though.

4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you were here during the beach restoration, I got some perfect beautiful shells...even Conch Shells that are in one piece without any damage. Sure wish I could post pics of them here, cause they are outstanding. (I don't post pics cause I have tried and I can't get it to work). The shells are out there...in the Hotel Zone..you just have to look hard, cause sooo many others are looking too.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We have a 5 yr old. We have more shells in our house than I ever wanted to see. :)

You'll find plenty of small shells on the beach around Playa Las Perlas at km 3 or so.

6. BostonT

BostonT Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks... But I am not looking to bring them home. I am looking to use them in the Science class I teach here.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Conch shells, etc.

I've seen no better place than Punta Sur, at Isla Mujeres. From the cliffs, you can look down at the beach, there. Finding a way down the cliff face (only for those who can comfortably ignore signs telling you not to go there) will reward you with access to many, including conch shells.

8. TNCJ1

TNCJ1 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We found alot of nice shells when we were at Dreams in February, over by the water break.

9. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Holbox !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice