Sept Trip planning - weather hassles?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by RobnStew, Jun 14, 2008.

1. RobnStew

RobnStew Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Hi All

Looking into our return sojurn for September. We've got a major family "lifecycle" event in August, plus a major home renovation going on so all available cash is tapped right now, but think we could swing a run in Sept to Temptations.

How's the weather then? I know that's primetime hurricane season, so probably oughta get "unconditional trip insurance" if we go (i.e. we can bail without having to explain it). Is the weather generally more stormy then, or is just a greater threat of hurricanes?

Any other members of the party here planning to go then?

Stew & Robin

2. pjsplay

pjsplay Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stew, hubby and I started going in September, at that time we were ignorant about the hurricane season, lol

We have been in September about 8 times, we always take the insurance, but have never had to use it. Sometimes it rains but in my experience it is finished in about 20 minutes or so and the sun comes back out. Of course last year was a wait and see situation, the bad weather passed and we went on our vacation.

Not to say there hasnt been bad weather.....we actually missed Wilma by about 3 days, and we all know how long that lasted!!

the up side of goin then is prices are cheaper, it is the slow season and I guess they kind of put it on sale???

3. funcouple

funcouple Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The first time we went was in September and we had nothing but sun and hot weather. The only time it rained was in the evening once and it was a downpour and then gone. I can know friends of ours have gone every September for a few years already and have not had a problem yet.

4. RobnStew

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Excellent - sounds like July! When we were there last year, 3rd week of July, it was HOT HOT HOT (and so was the action at the Sexy Pool, yeah baby!! :p) and each day, thunderstorms would build up inland but wouldn't rain on the hotel zone, although they would occasionally build up enough to block the sunshine, which would then make it LESS HOT HOT HOT. LOL very tired and punchy. In the last 3 weeks I've moved a bathroom at my house, (yes, you heard that right - we moved our first floor powder room from a spot near the kitchen to a spot by the front door), then blew the wall down and made a butler's pantry/wine bar out of the old bathroom. Quite cool, and I'm f'ing beat. Spent the last two days hanging cabinets ... WHEW!

Boy do I need a vacation!

Stew

5. DavenRose

DavenRose I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We have gone to Cancun for the 7 or 8 Septembers and we actually like it. It will be really hot and humid however, so our plan is to always be near water, you are flirting with the hurricane season however, we missed Wilma by a couple weeks. I can't tell much difference in the rain pattens in September than in March, April, or May which are the other times we have been. It might rain but it is usually gone quickly. We are already booked for this Sept. we normally wrap our trips around Labor Day to maximize vacation days.

6. Max32

Max32 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey

We've gone the past 2 years in September. In 2006 we were there the 1st 2 weeks of Sept and it was BOILING - it did rain but mainly through the night. Last year we went the last 2 weeks fo Sept and the weather wasnt brilliant. It probably rained for 5 days out of 14 BUT not all day every day apart from one day where it rained ALL DAY and most of the night. However I think the weather was partcularly crappy last year - there was an active hurricaine season and slow moving cloudy rainy crap just seemed to sit over the yucutan for a week!!!

We will always go this time of year cuz its easier for me to take my 2 weeks vaca then with work and also it is cheaper at that time of year. I admit, I do spend from the 1st June stressing bout hurricaines but you just cant predict those things! My holiday being ruined is nothing compared to what Cancun would go through if another 'Wilma' hit so I'm very grateful when we get there each year - Cancun had a close shave with Dean last year and I know we all let out a hugh PHEW when it changed direction at the last minute but then other parts of mexico were very badly hit - which was awful to hear.

I've got EVERYTHING crossed for a quiet season for anyone in 'hurricaine territory' this year!!!!
    Max
    xxxxx

7. pjsplay

pjsplay Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Once again I am right there with you Max.....last year was a close call for Cancun, when Dean hit a much less populated area I also was sad for the people there...

Here to NO hurricanes this year!!!!

See you in September!!

8. RoynSandy

RoynSandy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Sept

Been to TTR in Sept,weather was really hot,crowd seemed a bit smaller,I would get the insurance for sure.Also I have been checking flights from chgo,for an Oct trip to TTR,so far Spirit has everyone beat on price and getting in early.Have a great time!!!

9. JenandTodd

JenandTodd Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Re: Sept

Does Sandy know you are looking at Sept??

10. RobnStew

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Re: Sept

I'm going to try to use my AA miles to do this, we'll see how that goes ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice