Seen any good movies lately?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Feb 23, 2010.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just wondering what movies others here recommend?

I know I should see Invictus, and will do so soon (despite the fact that Matt -The Chin- Damon is in it).

I saw Valentine's Day recently, it's a total chick-flick, and it's got Ashton the Butcher in it, but I loved it anyway. I usually find movies like that to be tiresome, but the script was tight and funny and clever and seeing that movie was a great mini-vacation.

Today we went to see the Lovely Bones. I don't want to state what I thought of it until others chime in about whether they liked it. Lots of people I trust have told me to see it, so I did.

I want to go see the Wolfman, even though Benicio is supposed to be a Brit and even though I wish it wasn't a period piece. But I'm actually kind of chicken and am afraid that I will end up being terrified AND thinking it sucks, which seems like a bad combo. Still, if I can convince hubby to put up with Benicio then I will go, because I can hang on to him when I get scared.

So what movies are good? Who has seen the Lovely Bones? What did you think?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    RG, in the last couple of months there've been a number that we enjoyed a lot (our tastes are neither refined, nor narrow). I get confused about the titles, though, what with the translations and all, but we enjoyed the one with George Cloney, about those whose life requires them to fly a lot (Love Without a Ladder?); Invictus, or course. More easily remembered among the many we've seen in recent months is the Inglorious Bastards which, after you get past the incredible brutality, was an amazing movie. The Austrian actor who played the SS officer was brilliant, creating a complex character never before seen on screen. How good can an actor be who can make eating a pastry seem sinister? I saw that one twice: second time around it was easier to ignore the violence and appreciate the brilliance of the whole thing.

We're planning to see Lonely Bones, but at a time when we're both feeling pretty up, so if it turns out to be too sad, it won't be too devastating.

3. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    last sat i had a movie night with my friend and we watched The Lovely Bones and Wolfman after.

i dont want to say much about The Lovely Bones for i dont know if im gonna mess things up for someone but i really really really liked it.

about wolfman... i was expecting soooo much more of that movie... its not terrifying, its not dramatic... its not good lol the only good thing in there is Benicio... my god he's FINE!!!!!

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw that Clooney movie too. I thought it was so-so. Too predictable, not deep enough or fun enough. I liked his relationship with the love interest, but then she was married, which I predicted, but I hated her for it. Ultimately it wasn't well directed I don't think. Clooney has enough talent to have turned that movie into something better, but he was being fought I think.

I absolutely loved Inglorious Basterds. Laughed all the way through it. Tarantino adds a lot of violence to his movies but it always has a point. And his humor is so dry that it doesn't translate, so if you see one of his movies in Mexico only the gringos will be laughing. The alternate historical aspect was really satisfying. That's a movie I will see again.

Another movie I loved was Sherlock Holmes. I thought it was flawed, too long, too much fighting. But the feel of it just made me happy. The dynamic between the actors made it jump. I just loved the whole thing though I saw it with a bunch of friends and most of them didn't get the jokes, or something...I think that even though it's supposed to be a British story it had a lot of dry American humor...and I saw it with people from all over...the only other gringo there loved it as much as I did, but the rest of those friends -ahem- are good for nuthin'. I plan to buy that one on DVD and watch it while I fold laundry (this is a big compliment for any movie).

I'll wait until someone else comments on the Lovely Bones before I state my very strong opinion of it.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Well everyone is going to laugh at me, I'm no movie buff, but here goes:

I went to my first ever movie in Cancun after 5 and a half years last week. Last movie I saw was Lord of the Rings and the one before that was either Jurassic Park or Independence Day I forget which.

We went to see Avatar in 3D and I was really amazed at the 3D effects, so much better than Jaws 3 or whatever it was :)

It's PG and we took Dani with us, they said no one under 6 allowed so we lied (she's 5). I think there might have been one or two mild expletives and of course some 'non bloody' fighting. But the overall message, which she understood quite well considering her age, was far more educational for her than the things she apparently "shouldnt see or hear".

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    As your kids get a little older, Steve, you may find yourself making that trip more often! By the way, what did you think of the movie?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Avatar's storyline is a cross between Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves; there's nothing new about it, though it is a good story. And they seem to have spent maybe $7 USD on script writing. But the special effects were really, really great. It definitely deserves an Oscar for the animation.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Avatar: I hadn't had any interest in seeing it, then I saw a trailer, and decided to give it a try. I ended up liking it quite a lot, but there was a lot you had to avoid taking too seriously.

It was amusing to see how many different themes they wove into it, all of them commonplace, I suppose, for example, boy meets girl; cross-cultural romance/conflict; greed/conflict resulting from a more technologically developed society wanting something a less technologically developed society has (Europe vs. N. American Indians); impulse to destroy contrasted with impulse to nuture; preferability of simple over complex lifestyles, spirituality over cold calculation; respect for others, and the interrelatedness/spiritual connection of all living things for starters!

Invictus: I'm not sure how many who post here got out to see it, but those who do/did have said they enjoyed it. If it's still on, that's one worth seeing, if only for the glimpse of history being made, and what can happen when sound principles combine with good will and not just a little charisma!

9. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I enjoyed Avatar as well. Fantastic movie? Maybe not. Fantastic fun? Absolutely!

A recent addition to Mexican cinema which hasn't been mentioned, is the Book of Eli (Libro de los Secretos.) It is probably not a movie for everyone, and it is substantially flawed in some respects, but I really enjoyed it, as did Laura. The core plot of the movie isn't anything special, but I actually found the post-apocalyptic setting fairly convincing and more plausible than many other movies in the same vein.

The Wolfman was ok. A single word is about the length of the impression it left on me.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm mildly interested in the book of Eli, as long as it's not too religious. I understand that the book is the last copy of the bible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice