Scuba diving fears?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ChangoDeMadera, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ChangoDeMadera

ChangoDeMadera Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Last year I tried snorkeling for the first time in Cancun and it was amazing! I have always had a fear of not being able to breath but surprisingly it was not difficult to breath through my mind while looking at the fish in the ocean.
    Just wondering how scuba diving for the first time for you went? Did you have similar fears and were you able to scuba dive without freaking out under water?
    I know they offer courses for first times. Just wondering how your experience was?

2. stinky

stinky Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am a Rescue Diver and there a few people that just cant do it, but over all it is not hard at all. I would say take the intro class (1 hr ) and try it, if you like it then get your open water, and if not your not out alot of money.

3. Lenni & Jodie

Lenni & Jodie The Unicorn Hunters Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Learning to dive in a pool and actually scuba diving in open water are two different worlds altogether. In a swimming pool the fresh water helps you sink and there is no current to swim with or against.

In the ocean, you have a current to swim with or against, and the salt water makes it more difficult to sink, so you'll need more weight to help bring you down. Scuba diving has many fear factors that can play tricks on the mind. If your BCD is too tight while under water you may feel like the air your breathing in isn't getting to your lungs although it is, your mind isn't used to breathing under water so the first few minutes I usually stay at the top, looking down into the ocean until my brain accepts it, then I can begin to lower myself into the depths.

There are many aspects to scuba diving, DON"T just jump off a boat and go at it, learn the in's and out's, always dive with a dive buddy. Take the full course, it is worth every penny

4. Scuba 10

Scuba 10 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was the same way when I first considered diving. Once I entered the water there were so many other things to think about like the reef, corals and sea life I was looking at that I didnt have a chance to panic at all. I agree with trying it out first with a Discover Scuba course and then you can move on to your Open Water certification if its something you really enjoy. Then you are certified to dive anywhere in the world for life. If you plan on diving in Playa let me know. I work with a dive shop in Playa called Scuba10 and we offer an array of PADI courses and dives for already certified divers.

5. mdemop

mdemop Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got certified when I was 15 and love it. I am taking my PADI Tune Up course online and my wife is taking the Discover SCUBA at our local dive shop. I would highly recommend you try the PADI Discover SCUBA at the dive shop close to your house (there is one) and see if you like it. Then you can get certified or take the classroom online and finish when you come down to Cancun.

I did my pool and classroom in Minnesota and my Open Water in Florida. As mentioned salt water is different but the skills are the same. I would never suggest going diving with just a resort course but that is just me.

6. genovflores735

genovflores735 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its just about your mind, dont let your mind take the control, just breath, slowly and deep, then look at the water and U just can dive, its hard at the first time, of course, we arent made to breath in the water, its really hard, even if you know, really KNOW that u can do it, very hard.
    Greetings from Argentina, excuse my bad english.
    Genoveva.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice