Save the rich, screw the downtrodden

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by rdubnpk, Apr 1, 2011.

1. rdubnpk

rdubnpk Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    There is no doubt the US economy is in sad shape. Unemployment is still sky high and no new jobs are being created. In times like this, our elected officials at all levels seem to be trying to balance budgets the way they have for decades; by cutting the monies available to those who can least afford the cuts. The unemployed, the elderly, and, of all things, the educators, are the ones most mentioned. Studies show that our educational system lags far behind those of other industrial countries and seems to be the last place where cuts should be made.
    At least we are keeping the tax cuts for the rich and super rich, though. Politicians certainly know where those campaign contributions are coming from. Helps ease the conscience.

2. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Your thread title reminds me of an old song from High School form Krokus, now I am going to have to go look it up.

Eat the rich
    Eat the rich
    Don't you know
    Life is a bitch

Not commenting on the political overtones, just reminded me of that old song.

3. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Better to remember old songs than talk about new gripes anytime!!

4. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I am not rich by any benchmark, but IMO we need much more cuts than are currently being talked about. Common sense says you cant keep spending more money than you have coming in and being old or lazy doesn't entitle anyone to my hard earned money.
    I will give a few examples out of many. The recent rage amongst college students in MI is to get on food stamps while they are in college. Even when their bill is being footed by mom and dad. Or how about the multi generation welfare families in the inner city. Or the 18 year old girls that get knocked up and expect me to pay for their mistakes. Personally I am fed up with it and believe its time people start taking responsibility for their own healthcare, retirement and medical care.

5. Tim&Kendra

Tim&Kendra Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    :xyxthumbs:

6. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    Like the politicians do.

7. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Why the hell am I posting this.........

It's only 5 weeks till this non-union working stiff takes his annual 2 week vacation south of the border to take advantage of the poor locals there working for peanuts to serve the oppressive rich from the north.

Never mind that my father was born to a cold water walk up (meaning that the place he called home for his first 18 years had no hot water and no elevator). He worked his way through life eventually walking on all seven continents of the world. He raised three kids to approach the world the same way. He made sacrifices for me to start my education. I then went to work and completed my education through night school. I worked long hours and hard without having to rely on having to depend on the hard work of those around me to earn me guaranteed raises and benefits. I’ve now done 5 of the seven continents and am well on my way to securing my retirement without having to depend on Social Security or Obamacare.

True I’ve dodged being laid off, but attribute some of that by my demonstrated hard work, willing to take chances, and extra work, and keeping my eyes open to what is happening around me.

So excuse me if I don’t have a lot of sympathy for those that stand around and say the world “owes” them something. Or those that need Union representation to protect them from the oppressive “man”, aka the public, which pays their salary.

Sure there are people that need help but paying unemployment for over two years is NOT help but a job. So if we are going to pay those folks, send them back to the classroom to be tutors for those kids that seem to need the help. If you are collecting unemployment or welfare you should be showing up at some place every morning earning that check.

Sure there is a need for social programs, but not to the tune of 75% of the spendable federal budget.

OK.. climbing down off the soapbox…..

I’m really going to enjoy my vacation….

Jamie

8. MandZ

MandZ Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 1
    bingo

9. rdubnpk

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    rdubnpk
    I am not sensing a lot of sympathy for the poor and down trodden lol. I am 100% on your side when the people we are discussing are those that take advantage of the system, and they are numerous. The reason for this is, of course, that the system is SO EASY to take advantage of. But, when you are talking of those that HAVE WORKED all their lives to better themselves and have fallen victim to an economy screw job hoisted upon them by Wall Street and Joe Senator, I can't help but feel compassion for their plight.

10. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Okay, so it's time to take a break from helping to keep an overly greedy government from taking all of the money my clients have earned. I always get amazed at the tremendous snow job the teachers' unions do on the general public. You've heard some variation of the ad..."They're taking money away from your child's education." What a croc! I just had a teacher in my office who has a $92,000 W-2, which when coupled with her benefits puts her just about at $150,000 a year for working 180 days a year with guaranteed job security. The Buffalo teachers union is all bent out of shape because the City wants to take away their plastic surgery benefits from their health insurance. Give me a break!!

People in general are no longer accountable for their actions. Don't want to work? That's okay you can draw unemployment for 2 and half years. Last fall we advertised for a beginning accountant. Now realize we are an area that is supposed to be depressed. How many resumes did you think we got? Are you ready? Eight. Yep, eight resumes for a beginning accountant's job that will start at $36,000 with full paid benefits and a very bright future. Recession? I don't think so. Every one of my clients that is hiring has the same gripe. I can't find people to hire. Think maybe an overly coddling government could have anything to do with that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice