Road closures

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    My husbands office had a messgae sent from the Department of transport stating the road from Cancun to Puerto Morelos will be closed on Monday- the alternative to go inland to L. Vicario and then down the the ruta de cenotes- bringing you out on ther highway past P. Morelos. This adds about an hour to the journey.
    Has anyone else heard this.?
    Its due to the COP16 which starts Monday.
    Tracey

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did not hear that, but I work in the HZ, and we were instucted this weekend that cars, and now buses will be checked coming into the HZ...everyone must have identification as to why you are in the HZ... and you are not allowed to carry large bags (which I need to do for work), no sunglasses or hats can be worn. Not sure if that is just while they are searching the vehicles or during the entire transit. This summit from the get go was put out there that no interruptions will be caused in the Hotel Zone, but that is all that has been happening the last week and it will be even worse for the next 12 days. IT'S GONNA SUCK TO BE IN CANCUN!!!!!!!

3. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, if you are not working in the hotel zone, you won't be allowed in this week? I have a hair appointment on Wednesday IN THE HOTEL ZONE!!!! Please tell me I will get in without any problems!!!?????!!!??? Anyone, Anyone???

4. JohnB

JohnB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard that the conference at Moon Palace will wreak havoc on transport between PM and Cancun this week. I have no official sources to point people to, but I'm just passing along my info.

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to Por Esto! | Yucatán
    just one south bound lane was closed. My guess is that this will possibly continue but I can't imagine them closing the road completely.
    It also mentions other possible points of slowdowns along the road to the airport. Supposedly they will also be stopping people entering the hotel zone to check ID's and reason for entering. Again, can't imagine them stopping every car/bus and checking every ID but then "they" continue to amaze. I will be heading there in a bit and will report later. Plan on slow traffic.

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the people in charge have any brains they'll just close one side of the hotel zone road (when needed) and make the other side 2 ways and all diplomats can travel on the "private side", and likewise with 307 just close the South bound side and make the north bound a two-way road around the convention center... I went to Playa on Friday and spotted about 7 checkpoints so basically if you can avoid traveling it's best... I'll also point out how funny it was to spot the ONE wind turbine they setup at the CFE plant outside of town as, you know to show how "green" Mexico is with there ONE turbine which I guess is powering all of Cancun now, LOL...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As an update, there was no slowdown at 6:40 a.m. and I don't expect any in the hotel zone. There are a couple of places with cones in the middle of the road and soldiers on the sidelines with uzis but both lanes are open and they are not stopping anyone.

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I have travelled back and forth to the hotel zone today with no problem - in fact its really quiet.

9. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here. We all went to work an hour early for nothing. But my boyfriend had to go down to the riviera maya this morning and he said it took them more then an hour and a half to get from downtown to before mayan palace.

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think most of the issues are going to be on the highway now. A friend is at the COP 16 event right now, she reported that all lanes were closed, the only vehicles allowed were the "official" buses for the conference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice