Ricky Williams Retires

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Watson, Jul 26, 2004.

?

Do you think Ricky Williams is an idiot?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like most of you know, I was away from the news this weekend in northern Ontario but being a HUGE NFL FAN, I just about fell off my chair this morning to find out Ricky had thrown in the towel.
    Now...being a HUGE BILLS FAN, I couldn't be happier but after reading the reasons for this guy leaving Miami, I thought - Has Ricky been reading our threads on legalizing marijauna? Apparently Mr. Williams wants to smoke some weed while hanging out in tin shacks in Jamaica. He walks away from 3.75 mil for this year and more over the next two plus incentives.
    Just goes to show ya - DON'T MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS WHILE IN THE PURPLE HAZE!

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't think he's an idiot. I do think he needs help (AKA counselling).

He's been diagnosed for some kind of shyness disorder, causing him to do some interviews wearing his helmet, and generally keeping to himself. Once he graduated from UT-Austin, it seemed obvious to me he didn't fit in with the NFL "world" and was aloof from everything. Even when he rushed for over 1800 yards...he didn't "feel" like an NFL player. I can't explain it.

Anyways, somehow it seems more appropriate that he is no longer a part of the league...even his sudden retirement kinda follows what I thought of his nature. He just isn't right for the pro's. I wish he coulda figured that out sooner and stayed in school to get a degree rather than jerk around New Orleans' and Miami's chains. But that's just the nature of the man. :roll:

3. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Maybe I should change my vote. Maybe he's not an idiot, just there to take the money and run. Got his $10 Million and got out while he can still walk..... Just kind of jerked the Dolphins around in the process.

Jamie

4. lowrider86

lowrider86 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0
    being a die hard dolphin fan, i think he is a #$%%^&&**( jerk! but i do agree with you jamie, he can still walk, that does mean alot

5. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michael - I know about the social anxiety disorder he was diagnosed with shortly before leaving New Orleans but he has been on medication to handle this and watching interviews with him since, I'd say he's pretty much in control of that. And you're right. He should have gotten a degree before entering the pros. Robert Smith of the Vikings retired at the ripe old age of 28 but he's a lawyer. He has something to go to. Ricky seems to have problems with people telling him what he can and cannot do. He has a problem with the NFL telling him he can't smoke marijauna.
    To Jamie and Lowrider's points, it is important to be able to live your life healthy after retiring from any job but Ricky was not injured often. I remember a little time off in NO for an ankle but nothing in Miami.
    Bottom line, he walked out on his team. He walked out on an organization that not only paid him big money, paid NO big money and draft picks to get him. Ricky did contribute though and in my opinion carried that team. Sorry Lowrider but they don't have a snowball's chance in hell now. The defence is hurt and the offense just isn't strong enough. Couldn't make the playoffs with Ricky who rushed for over 3,000 yards in 2 years so they don't have a hope now. But who knows, and it's the reason I love the NFL, these guys might say "Screw you Ricky. We'll do it without you." I've seen that. Look at Carolina rally together for their teammates diagnosed with cancer last year. They went to the Super Bowl.
    Ricky says he only has to answer to his children now but the reality is, whether you're in the NFL or just some nobody on the street, you always have someone to answer to.
    Michael - he should have figured this out earlier. Again, you're right.

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some of you old timers will remember when this happened:

"In a 1978 pre-season football game, Oakland cornerback Jack Tatum tackled New England Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley so hard that Stingley was rendered an instant quadriplegic. The NFL decided it was legal, and while Stingley went home in a wheelchair, Tatum -- whose nickname was "The Assassin" -- continued his career without interference from attorneys."

Darryl Stingley is a distant cousin of mine....after that hit, he never took a step again! It only takes one hit to knock someones block off.....

There is more to life than money and he's (Williams) proly made more than most people who post here so who's calling who names? Dunno that it's quite fair to judge folks by a standard that we ourselves don't even meet.

As was previously mentioned, the guy needs professional help. If he's not happy playing football right now, perhaps now he can get the help he needs. Perhaps his REAL friends will step up to the plate now and provide some support and guidance rather than throwing rocks at him cause they think he just threw his life away.

Having a college degree is nice, but it's not a guarantee of anything. There are plenty of well to do folks out there without college degrees. Practically every tradesman that I know makes more than I do and NONE of them have college degrees!

Maybe this is his cry for help.....who knows....but nobody in this world is perfect and we've all made big mistakes in our lives, haven't we? So why must we persecute this guy for his decisions?

That baffles me.....

Michelle

7. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I don't know Michelle.. there a cry for help and there's shoving a finger in everyone's face.

Before you say it, yeah we don't know all the facts... that's true. But when has that ever stopped anybody from expressing their opinion?

What we do know is that football players make more money than most that post here, as you said. Yes they take chances every time they step out on the field, but so to a lot of other people, like firefighters, for a whole lot less money.

So excuse me if a football player exits college early from a full boat scholarship to grab millions from the NFL only to, a week into training camp, say I don't want to play anymore so I'm taking my ball and going home. Leaving his team and teammates high and dry and saying “up yours” to the fans that pay the high ticket prices so he could have those millions.

Jamie

8. Watson

Watson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To refute some of your points and to add some more information...
    In 1978, football was football. Those guys got pounded, the fields were not pristine, there were no domes to protect against the elements, probably not even heaters on the sidelines. The equipment had no where near the protection it offers today and the players were not paid the huge sums of money the skilled (quarterback, runningback, receivers etc.) are paid now. I don't have the hard facts but I don't think anyone back then, even the Johnny Unitis', made over a mil a year.
    As we all know, this is not the case now. But, like all professional sports the league has looked at the rules and is not only fining but ending careers of those players and teams who do not follow them. You cannot lead with your head when hitting someone. You cannot hit a reciever when he is off the ground. Is it everything? No. But is it progress. Yes. The same progress that is seeing NHL's Todd Bertuzzi (sp.) facing criminal charges for his sucker punch on Moore. Unfortunately, the two times, this one and McSorley hit in Vancouver, were on Canadian soil. Any hit like these done in the US are not questioned by authorities. Maybe your laws need to change. Maybe you need to say, "Hey. Just because it's wrapped up warm and fuzzy on a football field doesn't make it legal." It's a fine line to draw. Especially when the sport breeds violence.
    Football is a tough sport. I would assume that anyone, including your distant cousin, who gets to that level would understand the risks involved. I don't disagree with you. There are some serious infractions and sucker hits in football too but it's part of the game. The refs catch some things and like all sports, they miss some. On a side note, there are risks at every job and they don't come with 20 mil signing bonuses.
    There is more to life than money, but really, it's a nice perk. If Ricky Williams wanted to take time off to get some help, then he had 7 months to do it. The Dolphins' season ended the end of December '03. The team has already had mini camps and Ricky was there. Did he ever tell the team, when the possibility of picking up a free agent or drafting a rookie running back were options, that he was considering retirement? No. You may not like it but being at that level brings with it a certain amount of responsibility that you and I don't have. Thousands of fans pay good money buying tickets and merchandise for that team. I think if Ricky wanted to retire, fine, but he could have handled it A LOT better. He could have notified the team earlier or played one more season to give them time to work around it. What Ricky did was give no notice at a time when notice means EVERYTHING. Talk about NOT taking one for the team. Can you say selfish? Could you walk out on your boss and fellow employees, leave them hanging because you want to see the world? Want to smoke pot? He never once said that his "condition" was a reason for retirement.
    As for a college degree. Totally agree with you but at least the Miami fans could have handled that. He wanted to work in his chosen field. That's a reason to give up millions. Or like Pat Tillman, to serve his country. Smoking pot and answering to no one just doesn't cut it when you're that high a profile player. When you're anyone really. Another plus to your argument, no one's perfect. He's persecuted because he is that important to their offense and he didn't let down say, 50 family members, he let down an entire city.
    With talent and fame comes huge responsibility. The Ryan Leaf's of the world couldn't cut it. If Ricky couldn't, he should have told someone, say, 5 months ago.
    It doesn't baffle me.

9. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not suggesting that folks stop expressing their opinions.....

But must we label the guy an idiot? Perhaps everyone would be satisfied if you wake up tommorow and read that Ricky Williams just blew his brains out with a 357 magnum. Would his decision to retire make anyone feel better if that were to happen....I wonder? If he had done that, rather than retire, what would be the title of this poll then?

That's the part that scares me about my fellow man......we are so quick to lynch/crusify folks without knowing any of the facts...an we often ignore the facts that we do have.

I hope he gets the professional help he needs....in my opinion, that's the bigger issue in his life right now..not money and/or fear of going broke.

So..my vote is NO, the dude is no idiot. He needs to get some professional help and get his life together....the same as I had to do at one point. I personally can't throw stones at the man.....

But feel free to continue on with the pig roast...I'm sure others are finding this quite enjoyable.....

Michelle

10. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Popcorn, anyone? *munches noisily*
    :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice