Restaurant suggestion in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by SEKTOR, Apr 28, 2010.

1. SEKTOR

SEKTOR Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

long time member here, but don't post quiet much.

A number of my friends and I are going to Cancun early July, and in addition to the previously enjoyed events and attractions, we would like to be recommended a select few restaurant to dine at while we are in Cancun.

Our hotel (Riu Cancun) does offer great food, and Taco factory does the job late night.

But I would like to visit some of the highly recommended restaurants, within the vicinity.

All suggestions are welcomed. Please state price range and type of food served.

-Sektor

2. Zena

Zena Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're looking for something close to your hotel, I recommend Calenda Oaxaca. It's located next to Plaza la Fiesta near the convention center. My sister and I were there our last night in Cancun, otherwise we'd have eaten there again. The food (Mexican), drinks, service, and atmosphere were exceptional. Bill for two entrees and two margaritas was 640 pesos plus tip. We wanted to try dessert but unfortunately both of us ate too many of the tortilla chips that were served with an assortment of delicious salsas. The only problem we noticed was with a party of 10 at the next table wanting to pay via credit card and were informed that credit cards weren't accepted.

If you google Calenda Oaxaca Cancun, there are Travelocity reviews, some with photos.

3. SEKTOR

SEKTOR Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you. I will look it up.

Any other suggestions ?

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can walk to Cambalache, an Argentinian steak house, par excellance. A bit pricy but not deadly and worth every peso. This is in Plaza Forum by the Sea on the 2nd level. Left from your hotel, pass The City, Coco Bongo and then comes this mall. I am looking at the new issue of People's Choice Guide and is says about $38 US per person. Book has a www dot com website of same name, with no spaces. I keep one by my TV.

I enjoy in immensley and have never had anything but wonderful experiences in all areas that you want when dining out.

On the other end of the money spectrum, if you want a great sandwich, walk out of the hotel, hang a right, walk maybe 10 minutes, and across from the Presidente Intercontinental hotel, is a strip center of sorts. On the right end is Ty-Coz, pronounced TEA-Coz (o as in oh). It is carry out only, no seats, just walk up and order, wait a couple of minutes and leave. I like to order a baguette, pechuga de pollo with a te (Tay, but really is a cold, sweet, foamy tea, not iced though) A baguette is remotely like a sub and the rest is a sliced chicken breast, melted cheese, lettuce and tomato and there will be a little bag with a chipotle chile pepper that you must at least put the juice of the chile on the sandwich. I eat regularly at a sit down version downtown, across from the bus terminal, and often grab one to go on the highway to the airport, when heading for a plane or going to the beach at Pto Morelos or Playa del Carmen. The baguette and tea are under $5 US. Cannot beat the quality and value. There may be some tables somewhere, as I don't go to this one often enough to notice.

For the best sushi in Cancun, you can walk to Hanaichi. Go out of the hotel and cross the street. That mall is called Plaza Caracol. On the left end of the mall, across the street, is parking lot. On the other side of the parking lot you will find Hamaichi among the stores and shops facing the parking lot. Again, affordable but not cheap, nor is it very pricy. PCG says $12 but I think that is low if you are a sushi lover.

If you want Italian I can point you two places, the cheaper one, Casa Rolandi, is on the lagoon side of Plaza Caracol. I would just walk around the left end of the mall and double back to it from the sidewalk. The inside of the mall is tricky to navigate. This place is so great that after Hurricane Wilma, we went there to eat, simply to support the hotel zon economy. After eating, we asked for the check and when it came, there was a 20% discount. This was not publicized, noted on the menu or told to us. Just a simple way of thanking us for our business. They have a downtown version as well but I go to both of them. PCG says $26 but I say more like $20 will gegt the job done, but we usually each have only a mini carafe of house wine, if we booze it at all.

For higher end Italian, I suggest La Madonna, no, not the Material Girl Madonna. It is at Plaza la Isla Mall. You may want to make reservations at 883-2222. For Plaza la Isla go to the other side of Plaza Caracol and the bus stop is across from Rolandi's and stops in front of La Isla. Coming back, cross the Blvd at La Isla to the bus stop and you get dropped off pretty much in front of your hotel. PGC says $31 which is about right.

In the same mall is an Italiani's. If you are not familiar, it is a TGIF brand and quite good for a chain. A bit more upscale than a TGIF but still casual. They have great Tiramisu.

This is a bit long but I hope it helps. It is a wonder I don't weigh 300 lbs.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And La Isla has the MOST AMAZING Thai Restaurant and next to that is a pretty good Indian Restaurant. Signage at the Mall are not exactly correct for the location of these two places, but if you go to Marti Sports Store (to the left of the Aquarium), head towards the back of the store and you will see them. The ambiance is something you have to see and the food is specular...in my opinion. I'd pay the price just for the private palapas over the lagoon.

6. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thaii lounge I agree, its amazing

7. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    La Doca Vida (Italian and very nice staff/atmosphere)

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That would be "La Dolce Vita" and it is wonderful. They have one downtown as well, on the right as you are coming into town. The one in the HZ is across from the Marriott hotels. Out the door of your hotel, cross the street and hop on any bus. About 5 miles and 10 minutes. Average price per person according to Peoples Choice Guide is $28 US.

9. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha I figured I spelled it wrong. I do know it means The Sweet Life according to the owner. Very good prices and great food. I had the chicken parm and was stuffed when I left. Also there is a crocidle that hangs out right below the outdoor seating so go check it out. I went to the one in the HZ zone and it is a very nice place, great staff and food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice