Restaurant Recommendation

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Aug 16, 2012.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife´s birthday is coming up soon. I am leaning towards going to La Palapa Belga to celebrate. Are there any other recommendations for a casual but romantic restaurant in Cancun? I prefer something that would be considered a "hidden gem," defitnitely not touristy or overpriced. With restaurants opening and closing around here so fast, it is hard to keep up with places to go.

Any suggestions?

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to Palapa Belga a while back and was really disappointed - I'd been before and loved it, but sadly the last time it was bad. I had a rack of lamb and it was awful. The service was bad. For the prices they charge I expect good service and well cooked food.

For a really casual place with good food and a nice vibe Luna Rossa is a firm favorite with a few people I know, including me.

El Fondo Argentina is another independent restaurant that gets good reviews

I'd stay away from anything on the lagoon at this time of the year with the mozzies on the mooch...

The garden at la habichuela is really romantic.

3. WorldComesClear

WorldComesClear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favourite restaurant is Marakame Cafe... don't get confused about the "cafe" part as I ensure you it is indeed a restaurant. Kind of like a treehouse, Thursday-Saturday nights they have live music. The atmosphere, food, drink and prices are great!

4. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the recommendations. Now I have more options to think about. I passed by Marakame this weekend. I like that type of place.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Poco,

I really like Bandoneon, at the SW corner of Bonampak and Nichupte. Part of the Cambalache family of restuarants. Not cheap but far from overpriced. Rarely are any children there. Great wines. I have thoroughly enjoyed it every time I have been there.

The long time "go to" romantic place has been La Habichuela but it is not the same as it was a long time ago. On the other hand, Habichuela Sunset is an awesome place in the HZ. Around km 12 or 13 on the lagoon side. Indoor and outdoor seating. If I ever again have a romantic dinner, it will be at one of these two places.

Both have very creative dishes at all courses.

Chew on this my friend.

6. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recommendations

La Palapa Belga is one of our favorites too. We are not too thrilled with the "chain" restaurants but have to say that Fred's has become our new favorite place. Ask to sit in the Villas or out on the lagoon at the provate tables. The ambiance is amazing "in the back" of the restaurant. Everything we have eaten there has been excellent and I HAVE TO MENTION their phenomenal apple tart with ice cream! We have left other restaurants to go there for dessert! I NEVER eat dessert but my mouth is watering just thinking of it! We take everyone that comes to visit and all of our Cancun friends there to check it out...it's a keeper!
    TJ...I like Bandeneon too but had a bad experience there. We had ordered a steak and it was really fatty and they told us that's the chance you take..well, 80% of it was inedible and it's not worth it to me to pay that kind of money to take a "chance" with my dinner....Won't be going back there anytime soon!

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry you had a bad cut. I am about 10 for 10 all Excellent.

Sounds like you got a jerk for cust service. I have never done it there but I have asked to see my cut of beef at the table before they cook it. Not often but I have.

I personally think the owner, unless it has changed hands, of La Palapa Belga, is a pompous jerk. Hard to say that about someone you don't even know but I was with a small party a few years back and he acted like we should eat what he wanted us to eat, rather than what we wanted. I was done there after that visit. I guess they all have bad days.

I would put my money on Bandoneon day in and day out.

8. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My thoughts:

I looove Marakame for coffee, drinks or dessert, but their food is below average (and many of my friends have said the same).

Also, Bandoneon is excellent!

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Peter's Restaurant

Last Tuesday a friend was celebrating her birthday so she invited her colleagues from work to join her at Peter's Restaurant, next to "Derma" on Av Bonampak, which is just a little above where Bonampak intersects Av Coba, at the HZ entrance.

The food was the best I've had in Cancun, absolutely gormet quality.

It was expensive, but worth it, for a special occasion.

My wife will soon be returning from Africa, and I've promised her a meal there, on me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice