Restaurant closings

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 13, 2011.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone noticed the alarming rate of recent restaurant closures? I guess the economy is still getting hit hard here. I saw that all of the Italian Coffee Company locations are closed, Bisquets de Obregon (behind Plaza de las Palmas). Plaza de las Palmas lost a few places, the turkish guy left and the gorditas place is gone. There was a nice little pizza place by the Hong Kong (between Hong Kong and Burger King) that just closed. I think McDonalds just closed a location in Paseos Cancun. Even the little fish taco place on Bonampak (close to Kulkulcan) is gone.
    I went to La Isla in the Hotel Zone 2 saturdays ago and it was dead. I ate in Chocolate City and there were only 10 people in the restaurant at 9:00pm. Other restaurants there were not doing too much better. Matter of fact, a tapas restaurant there just closed down too (right across from Hooters). I am sure that there are going to be alot more places shutting there doors. Anyway, that is the life of most restaurants, however, it is unfortunate for the people that put so much effort to open a restaurant, only to close after a few months.

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have noticed that as well. Shocked to hear Fish Bucket is gone. I did go to Thai Lounge on Thursday night and it was packed. And that was around 10pm.

3. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After doing a few days in Miami it's not surprising to see so many closing here. Especially in the Hotel Zone. They are just way over priced. As more and more of the big Hotels go AI more places will close.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have to agree with 4NSPY.. if you've got a good product, at a good value, with a half decent location you'll do fine... but over-priced and/or mediocre products in an area far from the masses and you'll fail.. add to that bad management decisions and you're doomed from the start.. I've seen numerous places start up and be great with loads of business, then as time goes on the food quality goes down as they try to save a few pesos here and there, which of' course drives off customers, which leads to the people in charge raising prices to keep income levels the same as before, which runs off the remaining clients.. and you get the idea.. I've seen this time and time again... lackluster tourism certainly has an impact too, but if you're smart you'll appeal to the locals as much as possible to stay in business while you wait for the numbers to come back up. That's my 2 cents anyway..

5. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

This is not unique to Cancun.......I live in Massachusetts and all of the restaurants are suffering as a result of the economic conditions around the world.... In fact, the governor of MA had proposed a sales tax "holiday" for one week just for restaurants.which in that state saves 6.5%.... Not very much savings when compared to the total cost of a meal out...........!!

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's it, Life. Focusing on the failures tells us something, but focusing on the successful ones will tell us more- about what it takes to do well, here, as well as elsewhere. The places I frequent continue to do a booming business, and make money for their owners, for the very reasons you mentioned.

7. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think in Cancun there may just be TOO MANY restaurants, especially considering all the AI. A bit more market research and a reality check would be a good thing for some of the would-be restaurant owners in Cancun.

Has anyone been to Va Que Va? That place is incredible and always packed!! (a bit out of the way, but it's oh so worth it)

8. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some friends and I were just discussing this topic the other day!!

Restaurants here need to lower prices for the avg person. The hotel zone needs to come back to reality and realize they could use a lot of "local" business. Heck,

I'm not saying all the restaurants, but a few would be nice!

It's not just the restaurants either - the shops, etc... I just can't believe how expensive things in Cancun can be. I saw the saddest looking cherries for sale at Walmart for $279 mxn!!!

Heck, as 4NSPY mentioned with the AI plans, who wants to leave the resort and spend a fortune when you can eat and drink at your hotel? The prices need to be more attractive as well as keep some quaility!

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even before AI--and maybe this is global--there were too many restaurants in Cancun and people just kept building more--under the premise I think that--"well anyone can run a restaurant!"

Many people forget that a restaurant is a business and things like market studies and proformas need to be a part of every business. I have seen so many come and go. Sometimes you watch a spot take 6 months or more to open (Bling for example) and then not make it or even close in a few months. People tend to invest everything in getting it up and running and don't realize that--if it makes it at all--it will not be producing for quite a while.

Offering a good product at a good price with a good ambiance to both tourists and locals is the key. Having patience and/or deep pockets also help.

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Better to focus on the Valencia oranges, for 1.95 pesos/Kg, Elle. They make great fresh squeezed orange juice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice