Requirements to settle as a 'Rentista' in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by stratman100, Jun 28, 2010.

1. stratman100

stratman100 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone. I have been trawling through all the posts for over a week and now feel I know a lot of you already. This is an excellent forum and source of information and a tribute to Steve and all the contributors - and Rivergirl I hope to see you back in here one day.

As you can see I am a newbie and I have really tried to avoid asking newbie questions, because I am aware that the subject will have been covered many times. But having read virtually every thread and post there appears to be some contradictions and I must admit to being a little confused so please, please bear with me.

But first a bit of background. I am British and married and I am 60 years and have been to Cancun 6 times so far. My son now lives in Cancun and a few weeks ago we came over for his wedding to a lovely Mexican girl. For this reason, plus we the fact love the climate, the people and the coastal living, my wife and I have decided that we want to move out here permanently. We will be heading for the Downtown area and ideally near where my son has bought a house in the new Santa Fe II development. We wanted to rent for the first year and then look at purchasing. I would be coming as a Retiree and will be supported by my Pension and cash savings.

So to my questions :

1. As a Rentista should I apply for a FM2 or FM3?
    2. Is it best to obtain the FM2/3 from the Consulate in UK prior to travelling or to enter on a FMM and then apply via a local lawyer in Cancun.
    3. Do we need the FM2/3 in order to rent property, in which case we would have to stay in Hotels initially until we have the permit, which would be expensive.
    4. I think I saw a post which stated that Brits do not need a Visa, can anyone confirm this, does this mean we don't need the FM2/3 or is the Visa referred to the FMM card completed on arrival - confused.
    5. I noticed in some earlier posts that a Degree in Spanish was required to get a FM2/3, is this so? Whilst I intend to learn Spanish whilst living there a Degree would be ambitious to say the least.
    6. We intended to open a Mexican bank account and transfer savings into it, along with my Pension income. But if something unavoidable were to make it necessary to return to the UK, does anyone know if we will be able to repatriate our funds, ie are there any controls which would prohibit this.

Sorry for all the questions, we dearly want to make the move asap but want to be sure we have considered everything carefully, and from reading the forum it is clear that there are many complications.

It is a big move to make and we can't afford to get it wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Based on the information you've included in your note, I'd like to offer the following comments: others may have more to add.
    1. Initially, you will not be eligible for an FM2, meaning you would apply for an FM3.
    2. The FM3 is so easy to get here, there is no reason to do otherwise than to get it here.
    3. No, it's up to the landlord whether to rent to you, and what he will require from you: some do insist that you have an FM3. Our first two landlords did not require it, our current one did.
    4. You will enter on an FMM, which you can complete, online: it will be executed by immigration when you enter Mexico, and they will admit you for 180 days, as a tourist.
    5. There is no Spanish Language requirement for temporary residency in Mexico.
    6. There are no limits known to me on your ability to repatriate funds: as a practical matter, you may want to transfer money in, only as you require it, from time to time, by wire transfer, for example. Mexico has agreements with many countries which allow pensions to be direct deposited, electronically, in your Mexican bank account, as they are paid. Some banks will require you to have an FM3 before they will open an account for you.

The procedures for immigration here, as a financially self-sufficient person, are relatively simple and low cost. When you come, bring with you bank statements, and pension statements, for the last three months prior, which will show pensions being paid in, and balances of accounts on deposit.

For additional details, you could look over this thread-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. stratman100

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks V for your quick and informative reply.

Regarding the Visa issue, I am confused because I have read in many places that Brits dont need a Visa. I have seen the FM3 referred to as a 'Visa' - which I understand I will need. So hence the confusion.

To do as you suggest ie enter on a FMM and then take up a FM3 after arriving here would certainly make things easier for us.

Also what you suggest for the banking makes sense.

Many thanks.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Visas

The confusion that arises is mainly a result of differences in terminology, so far as I can see. Brits can enter without a visa, using the FMM process: some nationals cannot, and must get a visa, prior to entry.

Most countries call their permission to live, in country, a residence visa. Mexico has the FM process for this purpose. The FM3 functions like a temporary residence visa would in many other countries, giving permission to live in Mexico for a fixed period of time, usually one year.

There is nothing in these requirements that should be off putting in the least for anyone in your situation who thinks they would enjoy trying life in Cancun!

Unless you have expensive tastes, you can live more cheaply here than you could in the UK. Of course the weather will be a big improvement, and cheap airfares are available for those times when you need to return to the UK for any reason. Using Skype, a system you can download for free, you will be able to use your computer to call those back home for just pennies per minute.

5. stratman100

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks again for this information - it is very encouraging and gives me confidence.

You are quite correct. I could not afford to retire in UK right now and would have to wait another 5 years to be able to afford it. But if I move to Cancun I could retire right now, while I am still young enough to enjoy life and hopefully be there when my son and his new Mexican wife give us grandchildren.

I am perhaps trying to plan too far ahead but I want to be sure to have all the information and considered everything before making the leap.

As you say, with the internet one can make cheap calls via Skype and I can also organise my Banking etc. If we rent initially is it normal that a rented property will include an internet connection.

Thanks once more.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Every place we've rented (three, so far) came with it already installed. If you wanted to rent a place that didn't already have it, you could insist on it, as part of the deal; or, with the landlord's permission, have your son contract for it, if you didn't yet have your FM3.

7. stratman100

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, sorry have been away for a few days on business.

I just wanted to say thanks again for your comments V, they have been extremely useful and have helped us plan our move - and I hope others have benefited from the info.

We are so looking forward to our move to Cancun. We have decided to enter on a FMM and rent initially and apply for our FM3 whilst there, via the recommended Mauricio. We are planning on making our move this year.

I woke up the other day surprised to find that I am now 60! But I gotta say both me and Christine dont feel our age and are still young in our heads.

I am a mechanical engineer by profession and when not working I have an interest in cars and have always done my own work, and in home DIY. I also play guitar and have played in various bands for 40 odd years - mainly blues. The point is I would love to be able to contribute my limited skills to the community on a voluntary basis be it fixing cars, home DIY and basic building work, or guitar tuition and set-up.

Denis

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Documents to bring

Glad things are coming together for you, Stratman.
    To really be set, in case you find you'd like being here, longer term, I'd also suggest bringing with you authenticated marriage certificates and authenticated birth certificates for both you and your wife. You would need these to enroll in what passes for the National Health for expats, here in Mexico, Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social (IMSS).*

On the outside chance you might also decide you'd like to do some consulting or teaching here, you could consider getting authenticated certificates/degrees showing your qualifications for work as an engineer, and a nice letter of reference. (It's a lot less hassle to get these while you're still in the U.K. than to decide you need them, and try to get them, later.) Same goes for your wife, if she thinks she might, at some point, want to do some work, here.

*The largest national program of health care in Mexico, with ten hospitals and family medicine clinics in Cancun, alone. Cost of enrollment, per adult 60 YOA and older, 150 GBP, annually.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  9. stratman100

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Noted, that's a very good point. When you say authenticated what exactly do INM require - I had intended originals of all documents, or is the original not enough? do I need a UK solicitor to stamp them or something.

Let me say thanks again V .. I appreciate your responses, especially as everyone else seems too busy to reply ... or maybe they are tired of the same old questions from newbies :icon_cry:

Denis and Christine

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Authentication

There are a score or more of posters with experience with these issues, any of whom could have responded to your questions: I just beat them to it, I think.

Contacting your solicitor is a good place to start. He should be able to assist you with authentication (legalization) of those documents which can be legalized, under UK and international law.

I think you'll find the educational certificates will not be subject to (eligible for) legalization: again, your solicitor will be able to help you with that.

Another possible resource for you, relating to the educational documents, could be the British Council, if you'd like to give them a call.

If you're not in a rush, there will be plenty of time to deal with this. The point of all of it is to have the documents in a form which makes them "self-proving" under international law. Many will not have gone to this trouble, or found it to be necessary, but I like to approach things in a way that eliminates problems that can be anticipated, to the degree possible, and that's what I'm recommending, though you may never need any of it if you decide not to work here, or apply for IMSS coverage.

You won't need any of these, beyond your pension statements and bank statements, none of which need to be legalized or even certified, if all you do is apply for an FM3 Visitante Rentista. I needed all of these, to apply for an FM3 Visitante Profesional, with permission to work independently of any employer (function as a self-employed person in Mexico); and, to apply for IMSS coverage.

You'll have to consider whether going to this extra trouble and expense is worth it, and that will all depend on what your goals ultimately become for your time and life in Mexico!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice