Register to Vote

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (For U.S. Citizens From U.S. Consulate in Merida)
    --------------------------------
    Warden Message: Register to Vote NOW!

American citizens should register to vote now for the November 4, 2008
    presidential and general elections. Many states close voter
    registration 30 days before the general election. Don't forget the time
    it takes for voting forms to reach the U.S. by mail.

Voters who have not yet registered to vote and requested an absentee
    ballot should complete a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) on the
    Federal Voting Assistance Program's website at www.fvap.gov
    <http://www.fvap.gov/> . You may also pick up a hard copy of the FPCA
    from any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

You should also complete a new Federal Postcard Application if you have
    moved or changed your name since the last time you voted.

FPCAs may be mailed to your local voting officials in the U.S. through
    the regular international mail or from any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
    Some states also accept FPCAs by fax or e-mail.
    Voting
    Your local voting officials should mail your absentee ballot 30 to 45
    days before the November 4 general election to your overseas address.
    Return your voted ballot as early as possible. Be aware of your state's
    ballot receipt deadline, as well as any postmarking requirements.

Emergency Ballots
    The Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) serves as an emergency
    ballot for voters who registered in time but fail to receive an official
    ballot from local election officials. You can access the FWAB using
    www.fvap.gov <http://www.fvap.gov/> as well.

Questions?
    The Voting Assistance Officer at the U.S. Consulate in Merida is also
    always available to answer questions about absentee voting. To contact
    the Voting Assistance Officer, call (999-942-5700) or send an e-mail to
    meridacons@state.gov

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I registered over the summer. And I have my plan to commit voter fraud all figured out already.

It's annoying that they drop you from the roll if you don't vote in local elections, I keep having to re-register. I think I register to vote more often than I vote.

But it's important to vote to make sure that that out-of-touch right-winger and his gun-toting poster girl don't get into office. (...I'll duck now...)

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HAHAHA!! You mean the one with lipstick??

registered in Maine? Florida doesn't require you vote in local elections to be eligible to vote in Presidential ones. I was registered in Texas but changed to Florida since the outcome seems to be more interesting there.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim - I'm registered in Colorado (even though I traveled to Maine this summer). I've still got a CO Driver's License (way cheaper than a Cancun DL) and I still bank in CO.

Yes, the one with the lipstick and the trendy glasses and the sawed-off shot gun under her pillow. She uses it to chase away the pro-choice, pro-environment crowd... It's really too bad she's so cute. I honestly think her looks are the only thing the GOP has going for it at this point. If she was a dumpy, grumpy old grandma with bad teeth I would be so much more confident that the left was a shoe-in for the Casa Blanca. But with a hottie hockey mom, well, we might just be in trouble...

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    voting

I have been a slacker and haven't mailed my voter registration card in yet. I just filled it out and printed it and even printed the postage paid envelope so don't give me too much grief. My question is this...do I need to include a copy of my driver's license or passport, or should the form be sufficient? I don't see anything asking for more info, but I like to cover all my bases. Plus, I think every vote is going to count this year and I certainly don't want hockey mommy moving to Washington.

Another question...can I just seal up my envelope and drop it off at the Consulate or do I have to have it signed by a witness?

Thanks!!!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Susan - Are you registering to vote in CO or in VA? In CO you don't need a copy of your ID or a witness. You've got to look this up state by state...I know I posted a link about this a while ago...but am honestly too tired to look for it at the moment...

I think you can just go into the Consul's office and hand them the sealed env.

7. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Susan, We need more Obama-Biden votes in both CO and VA, so try to vote in both states. ;-)

In response to Palin's pitbull/lipstick joke, I saw someone on TV say, what's the difference between Cheney and Palin? Lipstick. hehe

8. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    voting

Good plan, Gringa! Now we just have to get ourselves invited to the Inaugural Ball! Maybe Rivergirl would like to join us???

9. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    voting

By the way, it appears that I've always been registered to vote in VA...even though I haven't voted there in over 15 years. So, I guess I WAS registered in VA and CO for 9 years. Who knew??? If I'd known that, and that fraud wasn't going to be a problem for anyone in the last Presidential election, I would've voted twice! Oh well. Now it's too late.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice