REALLY long trip report 2.18-2.21

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by Nalisa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Nalisa

Nalisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    This was our 9th trip to Mexico. We have gone just to TTR until this year. We (which means me mostly) wanted to try somewhere new…just wanted a change of scenery but we wanted the adult, sexy/sultry atmosphere, topless optional concept. When I saw the first information from GOV in Oct., it seemed to fit our criteria. So we booked 3 nights at GOV and 4 at TTR.

There are some great things about GOV--the beach and the water there are awesome. You can walk for a long ways and only be waist to chest deep with waves that are bigger than a lake but not the big crashing waves that knock you down. The sand is deep and soft to walk on. Most of the chairs/beds are on the beach. The pool scene is much quieter than TTR. Having the music more like background music was really nice. The big groups of people hanging out in the pools didn't happen at GOV except for at the swim up bar area and at the edge of the old kiddie pool that had a ledge and chairs. That area was nice. The pool is larger than TTR. While we were there they added these lounge chairs in the really shallow area which were a nice addition. We never got inside the other pool. It does not have a bar and feels kind of secluded and quiet. But that area is pretty and there are more chairs on a wooden deck on one end of that pool. One of the days we saw a funny quick skit, but no other pool games. I would like to see a game or 2 just to break up the monotony of the day. Plus the games are a great way to get to meet new people. There were daytime activities listed on the sheet we were given at check in but never announced and we didn’t see some of them happen…not sure if we just missed them…

Our room…the view was gorgeous!! I loved waking up looking outside and seeing water. We were on the 3rd floor so the palm trees were there a little too. We did get an old room and I would compare it to a Motel 6 in the states for “quality” but clean. The tub is an old step in tub. We had double beds which we don’t mind and I thought the beds were really comfy with lots of pillows. We had an updated dresser with plenty of space to unpack in and a flat screen tv and a semi-cool refrigerator that had several sodas and 2 beers in it. You can open your window wide and listen to the ocean—our window frame was in need of some repair though. There were 4 outlets, each outlet area only has 1 plug in (this is true at TTR too) and one of those plug ins is behind the dresser. I had to plug our little coffee pot in the bathroom area and there is not a lot of space in there for that. Luckily, when our bell boy brought up our luggage he instructed us about the little box by the door. You have to leave a key in it for your lights and AC to function. We just left one key in it at all times. The safe—it uses a key to lock it so then you have a key to either “hide” or carry with you.

We only ate at the Japanese and Moraccan restaurants, the buffet and Wimpy’s. I loved the chicken fingers at Wimpy’s but they didn’t have them every day. We did try several things we never would have ordered eating at the specialty restaurants. I didn't care for how the buffet works where you have to wait to be seated and the waiters were slow or forgetful to get coffee/water/juice in the mornings. haha...don't mess with my coffee. lol The nightclub closes at 1 but we were ok to go on up then. Also most of the lights around the resort turn off then too. There is no food after 10:30pm and the other bars close by 10:30 too (I don’t remember the exact times). I loved the coffee bar in the morning. Just wish it opened earlier!!! There are 2 omelet stations most mornings. We are not big “foodies” and we did find food we liked. I think the temperature of the dishes could have been warmer on the buffet.

The Coyote Bar was nice and we had a great time there. The permanent poles were fun. We were there for the Erotic show which was good and entertaining. After it ended there were some staff ladies that would come out on the poles. 2 of them were pretty entertaining and the other 2 looked bored to death. (They came out periodically on the other nights also…and looked bored as they just kind of swayed on the pole). The most entertaining part of one night was this lady who was having a blast dancing. At one point, one of the staff girls pulled her up to dance on the pole—these staff ladies smiled and seemed to be enjoying watching the people as much as we all were watching them.

I would say that GOV wants a definite quiet atmosphere compared to TTR. The crazy mayhem is sparse. Each day we saw some craziness and a lot of it was us...but again lots of groups of people hanging out on the beach and we stayed near the pool/in the pool.
    The topless side is SLOW coming. We only saw about 4-5 in the pool and maybe that on the beach. I did feel uncomfortable at times as the women would sneer, the men did gawk and there were some people taking pictures. Now how bad this happens will be hit or miss with whoever is there. We just happen to have a really ballsy guy who was face timing and turned his phone towards us. Not really sly. Once we approached him about it he fessed up but he was a gawker all the time. I did not see the signs that say no pictures but have read in other posts it is on the Pool rules board.

So our first impression was not super positive. When we arrived, we were told that there were no rooms and we were being moved to Sens. The reason was due to other people’s delayed flights and they couldn’t leave. We were told it had to be for all of our 3 nights. We were not happy. They wanted to send us to Sens. My husband asked if it was topless optional there and the reply was no. We informed our front desk lady that we booked specifically for the adult sultry topless optional part. We mentioned Valentina’s name and all of the sudden, another lady who seemed to be a manager stepped over said something to our lady and they said they would be right back. After about 10 minutes she came back and they all of a sudden had just ONE more room. It was ready also and we could go right up.
    As we were checking out, we overheard people that had just arrived also being bumped to Sens.

One of the things I love most about TTR is the friendliness of all the staff. I always feel like the staff is genuinely happy to see us. They smile, say hello and look like they enjoy their jobs. I did not encounter this at GOV. The friendliest person really was our bell boy and the young waiter at the Japanese restaurant. Most of the wait staff and bartenders were polite but just not overly friendly. Service is slow most of the time. Benny (I think that was his name) was fun and friendly and fun to play volleyball with.

Did we have fun…absolutely…we met some great people and that is what we enjoy most is meeting people from all over. I got to dance, got to enjoy the sun and spent a week with my sweetie—that was the very best part.

2. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Thanks, four weeks for us.

3. Chris and April

Chris and April Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0
    Thanks for the TR..sounds like the 7 different resorts I stayed at in Cancun before finding out about TTR..

4. silver&gold

silver&gold Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks for the TR, appreciate the perspective of a TTR regular. The sexy/topless part seems to be slow in coming. It isn't always the number of topless, but the attitude of those that are not topless. Do hope it improves soon. Still deciding between TTR and GOV for this summer, do not want another GP experience. Noticed there was no trip report on TTR, I assume it was good as always.

5. dave&tracy

dave&tracy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 0
    The party definitely picked up for the weekend (after you guys had already left) lots more people in the pool and later in the afternoons the topless girls outnumbered the non-topless. Lots on the beach too. Quite a few CC members came in that weekend which added to the whole atmosphere!

6. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Like I stated in the other recent GOV TR, it's a work in progress...

7. Nalisa

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    Tracy, sounds like we left to early. Lol. Actually we had a great time with everyone we met. I loved the night club and the live band was the best.That night was a blast!!!

8. beachcpl4fun

beachcpl4fun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Thanks for the report, we leave in just over 2 weeks for GOV. Cant wait since the snow and winter has been unrelenting.
    A couple questions, what night does the band play? We're not there a full week so hope we see them. Second, did you go on the pirate cruise (if so, did you like it)?

9. Nalisa

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    The band was Tue night. Not sure if they play another night. We did not make the pirate cruise but our friends we met there did enjoy it. I heard mixed reviews the next morning but both said the same thing. One guy said it was a blast and he lost his voice from yelling and dancing all night. Another person said it was bad because all that happened was loud thumping music and you had to yell all night. Lol so we would have enjoyed it I am sure because I love to dance and like most music. But the band was the best music we heard. It was a mix of 80-90's rock. There was different music each night so it didn't get old...another plus. (Although, the nights we were at TTR the music varied more than in years past.)

10. Beachgirl3

Beachgirl3 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thanks for the trip report...

very thorough and informative :icon_razz:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice