Re-Entry on FMM after 180 days on FMT

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Jul 5, 2010.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To sum it up, I had no problems. For a minute though I said a few choice words in my head..... when he scanned my Passport, the man kind of was reading the screen, which I noticed didn't happen with other people. He just asked me if it was my first time to Cancun, and I said no. Stamped passport and FMM and I was on my way. Mind you, this is one case, so hopefully this is how it works for everyone. I was not complicated by either of the forms.... I thought they were self explanatory.

I hope this helps!!!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    FMT to FMM

Great news, Tori, and glad you're back!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the other posters. Yours is a first, on this forum, for this exact information and experience.

3. TomT

TomT Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome back, and thanks for the info. Glad to hear it wasn't a problem, because I've got to get it done by the end of July.

4. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TomT...my friend is doing the Belize run sometime in the next two weeks. I will keep you posted of her adventure!!!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TomT. Still love your music. Did not talk to "Scott" but yesterday I did talk to "Tom". He and his wife, like in the last 30 days or so, the day before their FM expired, left Cancun in their own car and drove it to the border. They paid a guy to let them park at his house, which was about 40 meters from the border. They walked through and then caught a taxi, a Mexican taxi actually, as they seemingly can come and go to some extent. He took them to a hotel in Corazal, which he even recommended. They thought it was a bargain and never felt unsafe. The next day he was to pick them up at 10:30 am but did not show up till 11:30 am CANCUN time. My friends were not aware that the time was different. They figured it out when they discovered the difference in time zones. He took them on a tour of the area then back to the border without problem, where they got new, fully loaded FMM's or FMT's, whatever was in force at the time. They were there overnight and just a tad over 24 hours.

Go in peace my brother.

6. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    re-enty

I am so confused on this 180 day with the new fmm forms now given out. When I enter, I will get 180 days automatically. Correct? I am here for 90 days and have to leave. When I return will I now be given only 90 days?

No one seems to know for sure how this is going to be handled, but my understanding was 180 days total in a year.

Anyone know for sure if this correct?

Thank you!

7. TomT

TomT Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey T.J., thanks for that info. It's looking more and more like a trip down to Belize for me. At this point I think I'm armed with some good information.

By the way...you keep mentioning my music. What music?

8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As was mentioned to me in a PM, call Mauricio and talk to him. I only asked him about 180 days. Please post what you find out from him.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    playagrandma,

It is easy to get confused on the 180 day thing. Most people are tourists and don't need 180 days, so they get less, typically 30, or even 14. They may have a policy but there seems to be discretion allowed.

The old FMT said it was "valid for up to 180 days." The new FMM has several options availalbe to the INM agent to check regarding the length of its validity, up to 180 days. "Visa for exchange for FM3" and the same for FM2, are two of the options for the up to 180 days, but there is another section of "up to 180" for tourists. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THIS IS ALL IN THE "OFFICIAL USE" SECTION.

Then, on the back, are 2 blocks, also in an Official Use area. One is for the "Duration of stay granted" and the other is for "Extension of stay".

I know this is wordy but it is pretty complete and hopefully you are now less confused, and maybe even clear, on this subject.

My guess and suggestion is that the agent will ask how long you will be in Mexico (not just Cancun) and if you say 7 days, he or she may grant 7,m 10, 14 or even 30. If you say you are going to apply for your FM2 or FM3, you will be granted 180.

If you say 14, and are granted 30, but decide you want to stay even longer, you can go to an INM office, ask for an extension, and it will be granted for some number of days.

Clear as mud?

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hmmm... it was my understanding that all tourists are grated 180 days no matter what, unless they are from a Country that requires a Visa and they are only give 30, maybe 60 days at a time. As far as being allowed in Mexico for only 180 total days in a calendar year on the new FMM is what has me confused.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice