Quintana Roo Covid Stoplight Status

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Chris_in_WA, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Chris_in_WA

Chris_in_WA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Hey yall, I'm booked for 8/7-13 and I'm getting a little spooked about the upcoming COVID stoplight review on the 8th. QR has been orange for a while but there is a lot of chatter around the current delta spike. Does anyone have info on how likely it is to go to "red"? And, if that does happen, what that means for those of us who would already be on the resort? Definitely don't want to be locked in my room for 5 days!

Not trying to be alarmist, just realistic about whether things are looking like they'll tip red and if that makes a stay right now dicey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. ottcpl

ottcpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 5
    We also have these concerns, going Aug 22

3. Mandb

Mandb Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    We are supposed to arrive the same day and interested in what’s happening as well

4. LuNik9012

LuNik9012 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Following for updates too. Planning for this first trip of ours has been so stressful. Hope it works out for everyone ❤️

5. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I own homes in Cancun and another city west of it. I live here full time. I'm avoiding cancun like the plague. Great choice of words I guess. Just being up front. I'm also unvaccinated because the rollout here has been really slow. Very few people, on the whole, are vaxxed here. It's been fairly chaotic.

There's no way they don't enact more restrictions. The numbers here are growing everyday. For real, especially with the new trend of kids getting sick, medical care is even harder to get without huge $$. For the first time since I moved down here, I'm hearing ambulances at least once a day. Not trying to be alarmist, this is the truth. I could drive to TTR in 30 mins, and I'm not going. That should probably give you an idea.

Choice is always up to the person traveling to Q Roo, but I sure as hell wouldn't be. Way better and safer places to go rn, like CR.

Good luck guys, stay safe.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  6. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Also if your vacation is mid August to mid Sept, that's when it looks to really rev up in numbers. Our 3rd wave has started happening now, we've been fairly behind the rest of the world on the time line, it took covid a while to get here and stick around.

Feel free to search for posts I've made here about the covid situation. You'll find I was right again and again. It's your life though. But if your travel makes someone $.. Take their opinion with a handful of salt.

Please PM me if you have any ques. This post is grim because the situation here is too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Hawkeyecpl

Hawkeyecpl Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0
    Curios to know what happens if the stoplight system goes to red while we're there as well. Scheduled to arrive a week from today after 2 postponements. Both fully vaccinated so not concerned about our personal safety but getting stuck in Mexico for an extended period would be problematic for work. Our travel credits from our original booking are set to expire at the end of the month so postponing yet again isn't an option unless the government doesn't allow us to travel. Unfortunately it's use it or lose it at this point

8. Chris_in_WA

Chris_in_WA Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Update...I got nothing great from researching online so I just called the booking number. This is what the woman I spoke to said: even if they do go red, they give 2 weeks notice for resorts and tourists so they aren't screwed. Now, I don't know how great that information is but I'm rolling the dice since I'm vaccinated anyhow. See yall there if anyone overlaps with me. Fingers crossed.

9. Hawkeyecpl

Hawkeyecpl Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0
    Figured they wouldn't throw us out on the street but good to know that for sure! Our biggest concern is testing positive and not being able to return to the US. I wonder if they allow room crawls among all the quarantined? Lol

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You should clarify your statements when you say that you "live here".

You can't really say you live here full time but wouldn't go here. It doesn't make sense.

Yes, you live in Mexico, but you don't live in the City of Cancun nor even the same State, unless you recently moved. You stated before you live in Merida more than 200 miles away, and for someone who "avoids Cancun" you seem to know a great deal about how it actually is to live here.

Quintana Roo (where I live) is way ahead of Yucatan (where you live) with their vaccine rollout.

In Cancun, everyone over the age of 18 has been offered a vaccine. Over 50+yrs have been offered two, and over 40-49 have either been offered two or have the second one coming in the next few weeks. 30-39 have been offered one and will be offered a second as soon as the required time period between vaccinations has elapsed. 18-29 yrs vaccinations started a few days ago. Overall, 50% of Cancun's population has had at least one vaccination.

Case rates are high at the moment (still less than the peak of the 1st and 2nd wave), and are largely among unvaccinated local youngsters, as is the case with every other country.

It's possible that we might go red, although I highly doubt it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice