Quick Trip Report 2-15-2-22

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by jayk59101, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jayk59101

jayk59101 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Landed in Cancun at 130pm USA Transfers private service was great... arrived to check in and right away didn't like the shenanigans at the front desk, we had a Spice Room reserved, and were originally put in a old motel 6 room, upon arrival at the room I asked the bellman if this was a renovated room, he would not give a straight answer and said to go to the front desk, after going down and standing in line again for an hour we finally got put in a renovated room, while its a huge improvement from the old rooms I wouldn't consider it nice. Had no hot water or intermittent warm spurts and thats about it, on two nites the alarm clock in the adjoining room which was vacant went off at 4am and the walls being so thin sounded as if it was in our room with us... called front desk both nites to have it shut off nope... sat and listened to it beep loudly for an hour until it shut itself off.

Facilities..... well the hotel overall is pretty nice, beach is great, staff for the most part are very hard working and friendly with the exception of a few bartenders and front desk. For the most part satisfied with the staff.

Food... don't get me started it's my opinion that you should either plan your evening around dinner or forget it and resort to the same ole stuff day after day in the buffet.... We managed to eat at all of the restaraunts with the exception of white box as we didn't wanna wait in the line to get a reservation. Italian... was pretty good Japanese was surprisingly good, mexican and moroccan not impressed and the buffet is the exact same thing day in and day out, change it up a bit??? on a 7 day stay you will quickly grow tired of eating the same low quality food. as others have stated the service in the eateries is slow..... so if your not there early like when they open at 7 then be prepared to be put on a lengthy wait list or to be flat out refused as we were 3 times trying to get in the japanese rest. Very irritating when you arrive for dinner at 8pm and told to go on a wait list only to return to sorry can't seat anymore because it takes so long to get people through. Completely Unacceptable IMO. The food quality and arrangement for getting into the restaurants to me is the black eye of this place and needs some major tweaking, for this reason alone I would not consider coming back To GOV.

Bar Scene Drink Quality varies greatly from bar to bar, the bar inside the VIP area was the only place where you could get a consistent tasting drink. Overall the drink quality was ok... same were very good.. others very bad. Very frustrating that at 10pm they all close and regardless of where you are you have to go to the coyote bar to get a drink very inconvenient when your sitting on the beach having a lil private quiet time to have to get up and sache to the bar to get a drink and wait in line because everyone in the entire place who wants a drink is there too. Another thing that needs fixing... adding bartenders and keeping them open longer.

The shows at nite were a nice touch... gave you something to do while on the wait list to get into your chosen dinner destination I suppose. The live band at coyote was pretty good and a nice touch. All in all I would say it was OK but not great and highly doubt i'd return and couldn't recommend the place either. With some tweaking and policy changes and improvements in the dining it would be a nice place. But when you ultimately decide you'd rather jump on a bus to go down the road a few kms to get a decent meal and pay for it out of pocket rather than deal with the "process" of eating at GOV... i'd say it needs adjustment.

Hate to leave a Bad review, and like i Said i wouldn't consider the place Bad... but definitely not what we were looking for. Hopefully they make changes for future guests...

2. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Thanks, all perspectives are appreciated. We will report after our first week of April adventures. Thanks again.

3. dave&tracy

dave&tracy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +138 / 0
    Sorry to hear you two had a bad trip there, we just got back home today and had the exact opposite experience there. I thought it was one of the best trips we have ever had and didn't have any of those issues at all. It was 7 days of heaven for us with no complaints at all!

4. jayk59101

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats great, I am glad you guys enjoyed it, I am not saying it was bad, but we like to have access to good food as were old and crotchety..lol alot of the issues we had were relatively minor and could have been overlooked had anyone at the property seemed to care, in particular the alarm clock episode was especially irritating and the lack of hot water... this is not an exaggeration either I called the front desk at 6pm day one to report the hot water issue was told someone would be up to look.... we hung out until 8pm... noone came we went to attempt dinner at japanese place... told 45 min wait... came back in 45 mins told another 20... came back in 20... told sorry no more seating tonite....so we went to moroccan... went back to room about 11pm still no hot water called the front desk again was told to leave it running... so we did never got warm and noone came and we were up until 2am. Gave up on them and reported it again the next day same thing waited around no one came... after that we said f*ck it and just tolerated the cold showers. And the food situation is a joke. Perhaps the little inconveniences were magnified by the apparent lack of concern on the hotels parts for making the simple things available... leaves a bad impression when right off the bat your jerked around on your room and hot water issues and them not doing what they say they will do. Still all in all we had a good time in cancun, and enjoyed the beach at GOV but wouldn't return there without some major tweaking of the food. I like variety and frankly at the end of the stay day 6 and 7 I didn't want anything to do with the on site eating. Maybe were just hard to please (i don't think so) but the food was a major let down for us. Glad you enjoyed yourselves... and I think it'd be better if it was a shorter stay... but after a week the SOS to eat every day really bothered us.

5. carl blank sam

carl blank sam Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    It's too bad that you and yours had bad luck ,however we had a terrific time and would highly recommend it to any of our friends,we were there from the 10-17 of Feb and never had one tiny issue,I do know however and i'm not saying this was you by any means, but there was a couple that the good Lord himself couldn't have pleased he was a small little man that almost cried when he didn't get a reservation at the White box and again missed booking the Kinky pirate cruise,it was pathetic to see two grown people act like two babies,if his mother was there she could have either smacked some manners into him or changed his diapers,it was sad.That being said I WOULDN'T want the job of pleasing everyone because that is just impossible.We had a great time and met terrific people and will certainly go back,hopefully your next trip is more enjoyable.

6. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    I agree that everyone needs to roll with some unexpected disappointments and be polite, but I think I'd be crying, too. For a lot people, GOV's major selling points are the free pirate cruise and the White Box. From GOV's marketing materials, you would think you automatically get these things as part of your trip. If gourmet food and a free pirate cruise were the things that this couple was most looking forward to--then got denied on both counts--on what may be their only vacation in who knows how long--well, I think their reaction is understandable.

I know you have to have realistic expectations and handle disappointments whenever you travel, but when you've really been excited about specific things, and then the hotel doesn't deliver, I think you have a right to try to get what you paid for (in as polite a manner as possible, of course!)

7. cold2hot

cold2hot Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Totally agree with u! We are going to post our own trip review of the amazing 10 days we had from Feb 16-25. We had absolutely nothing negative to report - GOV was over the top and we will be returning! Glad u enjoyed your vacation as much as we did!

8. jayk59101

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LMAO rest assured I was not that guy, I may have had disappointments in my trip but acting like a baby is not my way of dealing with it. I said my peace to whom was involved accepted the results and when nothing was done to change I fixed it the best way i could.....we wanted variety in our food, we hopped the bus and went off premises to eat, I didnt walk around with a long face We still had a good time, and for what we considered shortcomings in our trip we simply went off premises to fill the voids.

9. Mark and Staci

Mark and Staci I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 4
    Most buffets at most all resorts are the same everyday. Kinda hard to put out 20 different items everyday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice