Question about getting US television channels in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alicespeh, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Alicespeh

Alicespeh Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are new property owners on Isla Mujeres, & we're trying to figure out how to set up the tv's in our condos. Any suggestions about how to get channels from the US? Some folks suggest SlingBox. We were thinking of getting a smart TV there so that at least you can watch content from the Web. Pretty much no one we talked to thought CableMás was a good idea. Suggestions very welcome!!:usa1:

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sling Box is the way to go. You need a Slingbox HD Pro and you need a Sling Catcher. The SB connects to your system in the states. You need Wifi on both ends. The SC you need here as this enables you to watch on your TV here. Without the SC you are limited to watching on your computer OR connecting your computer to the tv by cables.

Sling Catchers Have become hard to find last time I checked. Last ones I saw we're on eBay, shipped from England, and expensive.

3. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The key is going to be internet speed. Telmex without Fiber Optic is very slow, and viewing quality is terrible. Cablemas is a bit better for internet speed. Fiber optic (from Telmex), if available, is your best option.

We use Plex with a VPN connection and watch just about whatever we want. It runs through our mac mini and allows us to watch from our TV, laptop, ipad and iphone.

4. vodkatonic

vodkatonic Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 0
    channel 12 IS the only channel you'll b watching.....lol

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have Dish Network with all US stations at our casa in the Hotel Zone.

The Cancun area contact is hodamayoAThotmailDOTcom.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mole,

Do you mind sharing your up front cost, and the monthly fees?

Gracias

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The initial installation back in 2008 was $1000 USD. At first I thought this was high but after speaking with others in the US about theirs this was not unreasonable since one of the connections had to be routed up over the roof (3 stories high) and through a number of 12" wall areas.

Our monthly bill, automatically charged to a CC, is $65 USD. We do not have the movie channels included by choice but that was about $10 more per month.

Although we have not bothered to do it, it is possible to put the service "on vacation" and not pay the monthly charge, after the first 6 months if one won't be there for an extented period of time.

Mike, whose service has been exceptional - even to phone assist when I've flubbed up the clicker, would be the best person to assess any new installation costs and services.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice