Quality of Life, Running/Swimming Venues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 22, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We know of the nice park in SM15, and we often use the jogging/biking path, in the hotel zone, for running/walking.

Where are some other places, not too far from the entrance to the hotel zone, that offer a nice setting for morning exercise?

What publicly accessible beaches would you suggest as a good place for swimming for exercise?

Has anyone found a public pool that is well maintained, and not too crowded for swimming laps?

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We often go running and biking in Puerto Juarez, starting just before the new complex (Puerto Del Mar) and all the way up, past El Meco Ruins and either to the old roundabout at the end of the road or we go left and carry on, heading towards Punta Sam, until we get to the last big roundabout before the rough road starts (that takes you to Isla Blanca), it's about 12k each way. It's possibly one of the quietest roads in the whole of Cancun that is of any distance, hardly any cars once you get past Bluebay hotel.

Personally, if you don't mind driving a bit, i would say run in the hotel zone but right down at the end, past El Mirador as it's quieter and you get some fantastic views.

As for public swimming pools, i didn't know there were any, only ones at clubs and schools, i think there is one at Leonardo Da Vinci (School with helecopter outside?) that you can just pay to go and have lessons, not sure if you can just go and jump in the pool and do laps?

Club Albatross (past Grand Plaza) has a great pool, although it cost us like 11,000 pesos for the membership plus 1000+ pesos a month, which we have now had to cancel (no refund) because it's so far away.

Sport City also looks like it has a nice pool but last time i enquired about that place, there was a membership fee and an offensive monthly charge, that i couldn't justify if i went twice a day, something like $180US per person!

If anyone knows different to the information above or prices have improved since, please let us know. I am very keen to find a public pool, i'm not confident enough to go and swim miles in the sea but it's one of the best forms of exercise out there.

3. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where is this park by the way? Is SM15 just off of Bonampak or am i thinking of another park?

4. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't think of a better phrase than "offensive monthly charge" to describe SportCity. I mean, seriously? But last time I went back it was PACKED...I can't believe people are actually willing to pay those fees.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for these suggestions, and the thread.

SM15, SamCancun, is bordered by Acanceh, Nichupte, and Copan. You could say it's in front of Plaza de Las Americas, but there's some stuff intervening, such as Sport City and VIPs. It has an amazing, beautiful, small park with a paved trail running through it. It's been densely planted with tropical plants, and is well maintained. Best I've seen in BJM. Biggest problem is its popularity!

[I personally agree with you, Sam, about SportsCity and other popular, but expensive places to exercise. I just can't justify spending that kind of money for a chance to exercise when there are so many sound, and completely free ways to do it. My favorite is stairclimbing, and I do more than one-hundred stories, every other day, in the apt stairwell- a form of exercise that in addition to being free, is easy on your knees, easily controlled in intensity, not subject to the weather (or the whether!, like whether I really feel like getting up, getting dressed, and going out to the gym!), plus no one competes with me for the equipment.]

SamCancun also wrote
    We walked it, one way, a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning, starting out initially to just walk to Puerto Juarez, but feeling so good, we just kept going. It is a nice route, all right, and the little ruin at El Meco quite appealing, especially for the dense bird population that greets you in the early AM. We only went as far as Punta Sam. I agree it is quiet, blessedly quiet, and a good place for a nice bike ride. Some of the resorts we passed looked like they had potential, as well.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't forget the Parque Kabah...which is across Kabah from Costco. It's got an 1800 meter loop and is nice for walking or running.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestion, RiverGirl, and I liked your suggestion on the other thread about trying the pool at Cruz Roja, which is not all that far from my home.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone been to the new olympic pool?

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since they opened the new Olympic pool with all the pomp and circumstance (and blah blah blah of the politicians about how excited they are about opening the project to keep the youth busy and off the streets), there has been nothing but security guards making sure no one goes in. I wish I knew when they were going to open with any kind of programs or schedules but there is no information up. Sad, my son looks at it everyday begging to go play.

When I see something up about it, will let you know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice