Newbie from massachusetts moving to Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by v8eyedoc, Jan 2, 2010.

1. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello everyone....!!!

My name is Ken from Massachusetts and I will be moving to Cancun within the next 6 months....

My 1st question for anyone..... Are there any motorcycle riders on this forum...??? I have been riding most of my life and currently have a Honda GL1800 Goldwing....which I plan on shipping to Cancun.... I have searched online and have not found that this model is sold or distributed in Mexico... Obviously, at some point in the future, it may need some repairs, and am concerned that parts may not be available or that there will not be a Honda mechanic who is familiar with working on this model.

Any information on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: If there are some riders here, I would like to ride with them.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not a bike rider but these show up in the phone book. There are plenty of big bikes in Cancun and about a zillion little ones that drive you nuts. Often you will see Mopeds with a male driver, a lady sitting in front of him and holding a baby. Scary.

Assuming you want to try to check on this in advance, and not sure if you speak Spanish, you might try the following. I have added approximate directions for the most convenient locations.

Vento Motorcycles, Inc.
    Av. López Portillo R-94 Mz. 21 Lt. 3 Local 3 x Calle 105 (998) 840-3096 and

Av. Uxmal Sm. 63 Mz. 40 Lt. 12 (998) 883-9464
    The Uxmal location is close to the bus terminal. From the terminal go right on Uxmal, maybe 1/4 mile to Chichen Itza and it is on the far right corner of the intersection.

or

Moto Bike, Sm. 71 Mz. 5 Lote 27 Av. Miguel Hidalgo (aka Ruta 5). (998) 891-9130
    If you were at the bus terminal, you would go right again, pass Chichen Itza. Uxmal dead ends into Lopez Portillo. Take a left and there will quickly be a Pemex on the right. The next light is a street sign reading CTM. Go right there. 3 blocks later is Ruta 4 and there may be a light there. Keep going about 4 more blocks to Ruta 5. It will be near the corner after you turn right onto Ruta 5/Miguel Hidalgo.

If you live in Cancun you will quickly enough learn that addresses are nothing like you have ever experienced. But that is another story.

You might want to see Luckie's post about needing a map, which you will.

Good luck.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a place here called Biker's Garage. Lots of bikers frequent that place. And the owner is a good guy who always helps us with our animal rescue efforts.
    Bikers Garage Cancun

4. v8eyedoc

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    TJ - thanks for the info. I do speak a moderate amount of espanol....and have also stayed with my Mexican family in the city....many times..and have rented a scooter to get around..so i am relatively familiar with the roads and where things are..

I had contacted an international mover (Ranier) and they replied with a greeting and a number of forms, as well.. One item that in all of my on-line searches, did not indicate....was that a number of items are prohibited from importation into Mexico - and MOTORCYCLES was one of the items... (?) It is a used motorcycle (2001)

Are you familiar with this....?????

5. v8eyedoc

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    RiverGirl........ good bit of info.. gracias..por su ayuda..!! I am also an animal lover and have taken part in many charity rides for the local animal shelter here.... I have adopted so many animals from the shelters over the years.....at one point in time, I had adopted an epileptic Yellow Lab and also had five kitties, as well..!! I think I spent more on pet foods each week than on my own groceries.....!!!

I have also been a practicing optometrist for the last 35 years..and am planning to ship all my medical equipment to Cancun....and set up a free eye health clinic for the underserved of Cancun.

From all of my on-line research - It appears that optometrists in Mexco are just glorified opticians and all work for eyeglass chains - the "exam" is free if you purchase your glasses from the store.....!!!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recommend a bike shop called Moto Servicio Cancun, Its on Kabah, right beside a chicken joint, on the other side of the street is a comercial mexicana & across the avenida is Soriana & Home Depot.

7. v8eyedoc

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Epic..........!!!! OMG........that is just where I am planning to live...!! Just off of Kabah...on Calle Neptuno.....

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Doc,

I forgot all about the place Epic mentions. I think the chicken place is called Pollo Pirata, Chicken Pirate, not to be confused with another place 100 yards away, Pollo Brujo, Chicken Witch. I am a Pollo Brujo kind of guy.

I will add my own OMG. I live in SM 32 and can walk to that bike shop in 5 minutes. Calle Neptuno is in SM 38, right across Kabah from SM 32.

Small world.

As to the importing thing, you may be confusing importing with nationalizing. I am positive you can obtain a Permiso de Importacion Temporal from Banjercito for cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles and RV's. I have no idea how Ranier works. But I have shipped a car and an SUV by boat from Florida. I am in Florida now but return to Cancun on Tuesday. I have to renew my Permiso upon my return. I will ask the guy at Banjercito next week and get back to you. I am sending you a PM as well.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So you are planning to start a charity that provides medical care? That process will take quite a bit of set up. As I understand it you will have to get permission from Immigration to sit on your own board (and you will need other board members too) and you will have to jump through lots of hoops to get permission to work for your charity. It will probably be more complicated because your work is in the field of medicine.

The last gringo I know of who came here to practice some form of medicine spent more than 8 years trying to get licensed here. But I suspect he made serious mistakes early on in his application process. So be sure you get good advice and go about this the correct way.

There's a good immigration lawyer here who I'm sure can direct you through much of this. His name is Mauricio Mendoza. His contact info is in one of the stickies above.

There are a few real eye docs here. But yes, most of them seem to work for places that sell eyeglasses.

You might want to consider talking with the director at the City of Joy (Ciudad de la Alegria). It's a charity here that provides some amount of medical care for indigent people. Maybe it would be less paperwork to join forces with them. If you Google them you will find their web site. The director is fluent in English and Spanish.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Well, there's charities and charities.

Surely there's no restriction on providing skills you may already have with no money changing hands to benefit people/causes you want to help?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice