Newbie Couple Trip Report– Dec 2012

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Reviews' started by BeachSeekers, Jul 7, 2013.

1. BeachSeekers

BeachSeekers Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I wanted to thank this forum for your helpful reviews and to share our first-time experience. As a second leg of our trip, TTR was half as cheap as our preceding supposedly 5-star hotel in Playa Del Carmen. For the money, food/room/services etc were good. We had a lot of fun. A mediocre beach was the only a downside.

We reserved a restaurant on the arrival day by emailing TTR (thanks CCC for the idea!) Next morning after arrival we made reservations for 3 more days. We liked the Asian restaurant for dinner due to its great sea views. We liked the egg station and cheeses for breakfast buffet. The “free” menu items (those without surcharges) may not be 5-star super gourmet but were sufficient for our 5 day stay.

We paid about 20% extra for an “Ocean View” room. We were assigned a room with a view of the tips of the yachts masts. The bell boy who brought our luggage in was eager to help and presented a few more room options. We changed to a third floor room with a better view (I tipped him for both luggage and for saving us a trip to front desk.) The relationship between the ocean view rate and the ocean view room in TTR is a mystery to me.

This is an oceanfront resort with slippery floor hazards! Back in the USA, some companies require employees to always hold the stair railing. The closest stairway to our room had no railing whatsoever! After a while, my wife started carrying her high hills shoes while taking the stairs barefoot. Wet surfaces and “romantic” walks on the beach took their toll on my dressy wingtip. Except for the dress code restaurant, I (husband) started wearing sandals even in the evening.

First day, my cheap flip flops slipped along the edge of the sexy pool. The sandpaper-like floor cut my toe. Thanks to CCC – we packed a first aid kit and bandages. My wife used same kit next day when stung by a bee. In sum, I’d recommend bringing your own first aid kit, investing in no-slip flip-flops, and being careful with the party shoes and wet surfaces.

The resort offers group sports and party activities. It was a great ways to meet people. Meting people seemed easy at TTR where the atmosphere is relaxed and jokes are more adult oriented. People seem to just socialize and have a good time; similar to pool parties for those of us from warmer climate. If you have fun at BBQs/Pool Parties/Open bars in your hometown, you’d have so much more fun in TTR.

We felt no pressure to do anything unless we wanted to. On our first day, I naively dressed in my business pants, office shoes, and a long sleeve shirt for the lingerie event. A few similarly overdressed couples were surprised to be stopped at the entrance to “Nice Shoes.” It was a blast to watch them deliberating in their own ways whether and how to comply with the (un)dress code. Inside, half the couples seemed to be moving at their comfort speed while half joined the party right away. We could not figure out the game rules but it was a fun event to watch.

It seemed the resort was dominated by couples and for every single woman there were several single men. A single woman in her twenties described the carousel of guys lining up to her attention as a “circus.” This imbalance might be fun for women. But for the single guys, the chance of even chatting with a woman seemed so much worse than in a regular American bar. I won’t recommend this place for a group of single guys as they’ll probably end up drinking by themselves. This must be miserable in a fun and sociable place like Temptation.

A few times men hit on my wife when she’d be alone at the sexy pool or bar etc (surprise, surprise.) Her pointing towards me and a few words was enough to send them away. Once a young lady hit on me (now this must have been the alcohol.) No couple hit on us despite all the hype. I’d say the activities and behaviors, in general, are what one could see from of adults drinking by the pool/beach.

The TTR beach was a downside. The seaweed started a few yards into water and concrete docks ruled out long beach strolls. There was no Steve’s cruise during our stay. We found a ferry to Isla Muheres from Playa Tortuga for $17 roundtrip but too late to explore it. We found out about included water sports too late as well. When asked about beach, the hotel staff tried to direct us to their all-day snorkeling cruise. We said “no thanks”; same as to the time-share pitch.

I found this forum in time to read a few reviews. I would like to thank CCC for helpful tips. We left for Mexico before introducing ourselves and having some of our have questions answered. I wish we chatted to CCC beforehand. I wish we knew about Isla Muheres ferry. I mention these wishes to help other first timers to have even better vacation than we did. And ours was a great vacation at TTR.

2. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,603 / 14
    Reading your review it doesn't really sound like you DID have a good time, which is too bad. I've been to some of the best beaches in the western hemisphere, (North Shore, Maui Big (& Little, LOL) Beach, Meagan's Bay, Orient Beach) etc., and while I'd never say that the beach right erhee out and down from TTR is top 10, it's pretty good unless you just happen to be unlucky enough to be there during a time frame where the seaweed drop overloads the clean-up crews.

That being said, your review has a.... texture of disappointment, which I find disappointing myself since we love TTR.

3. Matt&Megan

Matt&Megan Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the TR. I didn't know you could email the resort to reserve dinner before hand, good tip! Anyone care to specify who to email?

4. BeachSeekers

BeachSeekers Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice