"New Immigration Regulations"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 4, 2011.

1. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, my husband is Mexican. We came to the U.S. in 2009 on a fiancé visa and got married here. Our son was born in Merida in 2008, and our daughter was born in the U.S. in 2010. We still have to register her birth with the Mexican consulate here, but once that's done we'll get a Mexican passport for her as well.

V's right, my husband's income wouldn't be regular. Most small-town work is paid in cash, not via direct deposit. This would make it difficult to prove anything. It would probably be a question of going to the INM in Merida and asking what they need to see. If they're all about unificacion familiar, I would hope they'd be reasonable in what they ask for. If not, we'll have to figure something out with the bank accounts. Tax season's coming up and I'm sure we'll get a good refund that we can work with to meet the INM's deposit requirements.

2. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guess this is yet another thread topic where no other need apply or respond as there already is a resident know-it-all on board. Exit.... stage left.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Cancunmole, you've often had valuable insights into complex legal questions posed on this forum. I remember yours in threads regarding U.S. reporting requirements in particular, which I found helpful.

In reply to Limejello, and to make it all the more obvious that I was offering opinions, I've said, among other things;
    You know that looking at the law, and offering opinions on what is found there is not limited to me- any of the posters are welcome to do that, as are you. In connection with Limejello's question I invited you and others to do so and, to save readers' time, even pointed out the exact page of the long document with which readers could begin, if they chose to.

Why knock those who take the time to do that, as T.J. (most recently with his thread on right of FM2 Rentistas to have a foreign plated car), and a few others- including yourself- have done from time to time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Limejello, here's one of the things that's nice about Mexican Immigration Law and Procedure- they do not ask for any money at all until your application has been approved! This gives you a chance to test your situation with an application for FM2, and pay no official fees for the privilege- a big contrast with other systems I'm familiar with, such as the U.S., where a huge filing fee accompanies the submission of an application- which may then be denied!

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    One thing worth noting, the new immigration law seems to clarify the question of whether those who earn money abroad, though they live in Mexico (working via the internet comes to mind), can lawfully be classified "Rentista". It appears they can be, as I read the new law. Many assumed this was the case, before, but I think much of the ambiguity in the situation has now been removed.

As always, those who wish to have a look at it, themselves, are welcome to do so: the link to the new law can be found in several places, above.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  7. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not true in my case. We had to pay a small amount with the application, I think about $400 pesos, then the $2,000 pesos when it was all done. I agree its not much, but it's not free.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm. Not saying that never happened but I have never heard of any fees being due, payable or whatever, at the time the application is made.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First time I applied for an FM3, they wanted me to pay a certain sum during the first two visits... No paper came with the payment, so I refused to pay, and thus the lady ripped my application in pieces, throwing it on the floor. That same afternoon I made my very first call to the head INM office in DF - turned out to be my very first experience with a Mexican bribe :D

Good thing is that the dragon(INM lady) got reported and that I learned how things can work in some cases in Mexico. :xyxthumbs:

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Bruce, as Rawkus suggests, the easiest way to know if the 400 pesos was an official, required fee, was whether it had to be paid to a bank, and the bank receipt presented to INM.

If someone was helping you with the process, this may explain it, because some people think facilitation is necessary when dealing with any government agency, and give money routinely, sometimes conceiving it/representing it as a "tip" for service: but, to give money to a government official who is performing their official duties is a crime, here, and elsewhere. Those who do it never get the chance to learn whether it was necessary, or not: I've never offered, nor been asked for anything other than official fees in my numerous encounters with Mexican Government representatives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice