New girl on the forum

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Castor, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Castor

Castor Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure where I should introduce myself but let's do it:

I'm 33 years old from Montréal. Me, my partner and our little daughter will be moving to Riviera Maya (probably Playa del Carmen) in 2014.

We've been travelling a lot (12 countries), we have been temporary living in the States during winters (California + Hawaii) in the past few years, now we are ready to move somewhere else for long term and we chose Mexico!

We are looking for new adventures, we want to discover the Mexican culture, learn Spanish and of course, enjoying a warmer climate!

I have read a lot of threads and it helps me to answer a lot of questions, but I might have more questions in the future.

Forgive my English mistakes I'm a francophone :icon_wink:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Welcome to the forum.

Please have a browse around and many of your questions will be answered in previous threads. Failing that please dont be shy at asking anything specific.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beinvenidos to you and your family.

We are the answer people. If we don't know it, it's not worth knowing. LOL

4. Castor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you! Gracias!

Are there families here living in Playa del Carmen? I have some questions about schools and I haven't found many discussions about schools in Mexico. Our daughter will be 6 years old when we'll move.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Almost everyone I know in Cancun has their children in a private school. And there are plenty to choose from.

I cannot speak as to PDC schools.

6. Castor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We definitely want to put her in a private school. I just got an appointment with a school's principal in PDC on October, we will be there for one week. I wanted to know if there was someone here with children in a private school who wants to share his experience with schools in Mexico. Our daughter doesn't speak Spanish neither she speaks English (but she is currently learning), the school we want to put her is a Montessori.

7. Opatije

Opatije Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm Canadian living with my family in Q.Roo. My daughter goes to a private school in Puerto Aventuras. We are very happy with the education and experience she's getting there. First year will be tough, lack of spanish skills will make it even more challenging for your kids to adopt to the new environment. There's a number of options in Playa also. I suggest you do your research before you arrive in MX.

Suerte...

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Jodid

Jodid Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also from Canada, and found I was able to obtain more information when I was there in the Spring. The private schools that I had looked into did English/Spanish each half a day, with a French class every week as well.

We will be there from Nov-April 2014, so have decided to home school. We will be in the Peurto Juarez area, if you end up closer that way, I will be looking for someone to help keep up my 9 yr old daughters french if that is of any interest.

Cheers,
    Jodi

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Our son went to a private bi lingual school and it was OK.He also arrived with no Spanish and the first 6 months was tough .Kids however are like sponges and he adapted very quickly. Now he is in grade 7 we have decided to homeschool using an online school based in the States.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice