New Car Shopping

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by raretail, Aug 24, 2007.

1. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is the deal with buying a new car here. It is Mexico and a car is the ultimate item to "wheel and deal" with but the dealerships here pull out the laminated price sheet (NOTHING is posted on the window) and tell me a price and tell me that is the price. Is there no negociation with new cars here? I cannot imagine that would be the case.

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems to be the way. If you notice on the mexican car websites they have a price, not like "from" or anything just the price. Me and my mexiwife went to buy a new car and i was haggling, but they said this was the price, no negotiation. And my wife confirmed that they have always paid the "price" they were told by the dealer. Different eh!

I think you have more chance haggling with a used car, or get yourself down to the "sunday car tianguis" if you really want to haggle and experience the real Mexico!

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They like paying full price here because then their neighbours know how rich they are.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If only the neighbors knew how much debt they had and how much interest they were paying...

Imho it's better to be rich and not look it, than to look rich and not be so.

5. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gets my vote.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drewbert - Puleeeeeze. Give it a rest about the neighbors to the north. Some of what few friends you have are from there. And do you see them slamming NZ?

You are too funny. You should run for some political office. I would vote for you if I could.

I am not sure who sets the prices of cars (and other things) here but it would not surprise me if it were the dealers and other sellers. I have found that the real estate market works the same way and that makes me crazy. The price is what it is, whether it has any relationship to value or not. But I keep at it and when I get ready to sell something watch out.

Thanks for your dealing help last night. I should have put B out of his misery a bit earlier.

7. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's the point! I have been told that you get discounts when you buy your car with a credit.

And I totally agree with the second part. I know people here, you would give 10 centavos in the street if you don't have more :wink: and they have so much lana.

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NZ - as in New Zealand?

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes sir, that New Zealand.

For the record Drew and I poke fun at each other on this board and even in person. He is a great guy in real life. Well, for the most part anyway.

10. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies. I can think of few things that get me less excited than buying a car. As a matter of fact - I have never bought a car in my life!

I just discovered that I can do monthly rentals through Budget for about $13 bucks a day. Maybe that is the ticket.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice