New Cancun Taxi Fares

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., May 10, 2011.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am doing this as a new thread in case everyone does not follow the older one. My car was in the hospital yesterday. I needed to get to Bonfil so took a cab from SM32 to Sports City where I got the Bonfil bus. What an adventure that bus ride can be. But that is off my subject.

While riding I asked the cabbie if he had a copy of the new fares. It took me most of the ride to figure out that I was going to owe $24 pesos. I had gotten into a cab with a lady already on board and her fare was $30. I don't know where she got on but she got off near Tacos Rigo.

Well, this rate sheet thing is a full color, two page thing, with a color coded map. You cross reference where you get on to where you are going and then go to another section that looks kind of like you find the distance from one city to another on a map and where the lines meet it shows the fare.

I am going to try to obtain one of these "price sheets" and see if I can post it. First, I will try to figure the damn thing out. Well, first, I need to go to Zeta and get a tank of gas.

Cheers,

2. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Hi, T.J.!!! Please, update us on the **specifics** of the bus ride to Bonfil:)))
    I actually love riding the bus in Cancun, very fast and efficient. Don't mind some overcrowding and always find some nice people to talk to, if I'm on the bus for a looooong ride, say from Playa Dolfines to Region San Antonio on R2 :)))

25 pesos does not seem to me like a lot of money:) By Toronto standards, of course:) You have to pay 4.25$ Canadian as soon as you GET INTO the cab here, without even taking 1 meter of a ride:)

I do understand that Canadian and Mexican salaries are NOT even remotely comparable :))

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A bit of a pain but I came through with a form they were completely out of and not available for public distribution.

You need to know the zones you are going to and from. Start with page 1. Find the zone by looking in each until you find the SM where you are starting your ride. If you live in SM 50, for example and you are going to Plaza Las Americas, first get your starting zone. Easy since you know your SM #. Then you need the zone for your destination. You have to know, or guess, or be the decendant of a cab driver, to determine the zone to which you are going. In this example, you are going from Zone 9 to Zone 4. Go to page 2 and find where zones 4 and 9 intersect when you locate one zone on the vertical line and the other on the horizontal line. You will see that this fare is $26.

Good luck figuring out the zones if you don't already know them. At a minimum you need the SMs. Page 1 does not show any street references so you can be lost before you start. Best to, hmm. Hell, I don't know what the best thing to do is.

Good luck to all. If you are a regular traveler by taxi, and your routes vary, you need to try not to get ripped off, as taxi drivers seem to be prone to doing. Get a map with SMs at a minimum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's nice, T.J.

So far, most of the cabbies are still charging the old fares, it seems, with resistance to the new fares still running high.

As for the idea that cab drivers are apt to rip people off, it must happen mainly with tourists, where it happens. It's seldom happened that any have attempted to overcharge us, and they've quickly backed off when we questioned it.

By the way, happy two thousandth!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
  6. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Holy cow...... What a scheme:)))))

Why don't they just install meters in the cars and implement a system the whole world is using??:)

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    C'mon Scorpio you know how it is!

Put meters in the taxi and there'll be drivers attaching magnets and shit to speed them up or slow them down. Winding them back for friends, winding them forward for anyone else.

8. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yay!! Thanks TJ!

9. NicHamburg

NicHamburg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there a map online where you can see the SMs? I once had a big foldable map of Cancun with every tiny street on it... Dont know where i left it

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice