Need Milk

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Sep 13, 2012.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We seem to be having a drop off in our milk donations for Casa Hogar.

A case of 12, 1 liter boxes, is about $10 US in round numbers. Last night I made an emergency trip to Bodega Aurrera and they were about $110 pesos per case of the Aurrera brand.

If only a handful of people would be able to commit to one case per month it would be a huge help. They go thru about 4 cases a week.

You are welcome to deliver it yourselves, get it to me for the Wednesday deliveries or get the money to me and I will buy it when the other usual food items are purchased each week.

This is a great way to give back to those less fortunate in our community. Please remember that these children did not choose to be orphans.

Muchas Gracias,
    TJ

2. Max Headroom

Max Headroom Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I seldom read this forum board much less post to it but...I am always curious when I see requests for money to help children. I am familiar with Casa Hogar and have met the people that care for the children. They are honest and compasionate people. A friend told that there is an English church in Cancun that supports the orphanage with weekly contributions of food and other items. He knows the church leader that is in charge of their work at the orphanage and it seems that if there is a problem with getting milk to the children, the person responsible at the church should know about it. I will mention this to my friend when I see him tonight. As a side thought, I did feel the statement about having to make an "emergency run for milk" was a little dramatic and prompts me to question the request for contributions.

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ is a contributing member of the church you're referring to, and he (with the help of a few other people at the church) oversees donations, clothes, food, etc for the orphanage.

I can vouch for his good intentions. :)

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Max Headroom - this is T.J. we are talking about! With posts like this questioning the integrity of honest kind people, it is probably for the best that you don't post here much.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    And I, his integrity.

He's a good one, and he and a few friends are keeping that orphanage going in many important ways.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    I will also vouch for TJ.

Me and TJ don't see eye to eye on the religion angle but his intentions are certainly honorable.

Have to say, I will side with someone with 2500+ posts who I have known personally for around 8 yrs over a 3 month old account from someone I have never met with 2 posts.

Can we just stop this shit already?

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys and gals for your compliments and support.

Max, if they are out of milk, they are out of milk. Does not seem dramatic to make a run for much needed milk for a dozen kids. Perhaps a Private Message to me with your comments/questions would have been more appropriate than slamming me. I welcome same if you care to write me privately.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I am hoping that a few folks, or a lot of folks, could help others give something back to the community in the form of a case of milk per week or per month, or the funds to provide it. Eggs, meat, cheese, cereal and more are delivered every Wednesday. Normally, about 15 dozen eggs get delivered weekly from multiple sources. Egg prices have increased over 40% in the last month, while the US Dollar has dropped against the peso. Much of the food money is received in dollars so we are taking a double hit lately. Plus we have no control over amounts donated. Every week is an adventure.

We just continue serving God by serving others.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

8. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome Work TJ!

Impressed with your charity involvement/volunteer work, I support you entirely.
    Have you considered bringing a ''donation box'' whenever there's an expat reunion? Another question: Have you already approached supermarkets, milk companies, for donations? And what about strategically-placed donation boxes, aimed at HZ tourists, including at the airport?

Hey, to nourish children, I'm willing to go with you to discuss with supermkt managers, even to stand outside the former with a box! (It just gotta be 100% secular, no religion or church involved)

9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ is our best friend and the most compassionate and giving person I know. He works with the church group and organizes most of the help for the orphanage including fund-raising, home improvement work, shopping trips, schooling, medical attention and so much more.

Max Headroom - I agree with MatKirk here...maybe this is not the best place to voice your concerns or question the request for contributions.

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    XOXO to my posse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice