My dream is to move to Cancun, I have no idea where to begin. Help por favor!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Kasidy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Kasidy

Kasidy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola!!! I'm a 19 year old American girl, extremely interested in the Mexican culture, I took a trip to Cancun and absolutely fell in love with everything about Mexico, it was really hard for me to leave. It's been on my mind since the moment I left.

I'm very determined to move there, I just have no idea on how to go about this. I've tried searching online, but everywhere seems to show that I'm hopeless since it's apparently difficult to find jobs and to get a work Visa... yet theres no way I'm going to give this up!!

Is it really that difficult to get a job in Cancun? No hablo mucho espanol but I am learning!! I hope to speak it fluently when I move there. Anyone have any advice here? Also, how do I go about getting a work Visa? Is it really that hard to get? Should I find a job BEFORE moving there, or find an apartment there, move, and THEN start looking for a job and get a work Visa in Mexico? How does it all work, and whats the best way?

I'm willing to do absolutely anything there is to do to make this happen as soon as possible. I'm on my own figuring it out, so I need help!!! ANY advice would mean the world to me, muchas gracias.

2. Kasidy

Kasidy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand that, I was there for 3 weeks, I really want to experience what it would be like actually living out there, I know it's nothing like a vacation it's completely different and actually very difficult, but it's something I really would like to try since I can't get my mind off of it

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Just curious, what was it that during your vacation made you think that Cancun would be a good place to live? No offence, but I'm hoping it isnt a guy you met here or a Desire to be out partying every night. Neither of those options work very often.

Jobs are very hard to come by and usually poorly paid. At your tender age competition is going to be fierce. You'll be competing with people who already speak Spanish and have much more work/life experience. Think about what skills you really have to offer to a foreign country in an area based largely on tourism. Right now is the downturn on the year with occupancy rates dropping and it wont pick up again until Christmas - now is not a good time to be job hunting.

If you really are serious, then you shouldn't look for a place to live or a job on line before you get here. Come with enough money to last you several months, and get you back home safely if needs be. Sort out a cheap hotel in the short term, pound the streets looking for a place, pour over the job adverts in the newspaper and you just might find something if you're lucky. If you do find a job then don't worry too much about work Visas etc as your employer should see to that for you.

Cancun is a very difficult place to live, it's not cheap, not easy to find a job and there's no one to pick you up if you fall. It's full of people who will happily take advantage of you. Yes the sun shines most days and the beaches and nightlife are great, but living here can be a very difficult challenge.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Ninety, and no thoughts for the future, OK: nineteen, without any plans other than to live somewhere appealing- not so OK.

These are the years in which you can be laying the groundwork for a sound beginning in life with education in an area of work that will be in demand for the foreseeable future, not idling away the years serving those with money, and education.

It's pissing away your best years to come down here and take a crap job just so you can get by; or, failing in that, to piss away whatever money you may come down with.

Frankly, most of those I know who've been here since they were young are still just "getting by", with no savings, no retirement- not even a first university degree, and no future unless their kids somehow manage to do better than they did.

Some I know have done better than that, and no one can predict how it will go for you here, but there are other paths with more likelihood of success. One of those, which has worked for a few, is to come here and get an education, here. The university where I work costs just 2,000 pesos per semester for tuition, and offers several degree plans which could be a stepping stone for some. But, to do this would require that you have some financial backing- family, for example, willing to underwrite your living expenses- because jobs available for the very young pay unbelievably badly. Most of my students who work full time- cashier at Costco, for example- report earnings of just 20 pesos/hour, with deductions for any shortages occurring on their shift. The earnings range is from 17 to 25 pesos per hour for those who have jobs, here. You may never have had to live that poorly, in your life. Think about it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll throw in a small ray of hope. I moved to Cancun at the age of nineteen (and for a boy, too! Even though that part didn't work out haha), and things are going well for me six years later.

I agree with V that if possible, your best option would be to go to school here, so long as your parents could support you financially. That's what I did, and it turned out great. (You would have to learn pretty fluent Spanish before your admissions test, though!)

If that's not an option, you would have to do what Steve said. Save enough money to come down here for a few months while you look for a job and a place to live. Just be aware that most jobs here pay very small wages, and there's a lot of competition because jobs that hire foreigners are few and far between. Also, most places prefer to hire Mexican workers over foreigners, and many don't want to take the risk of asking for your work visa because many foreigners come down, get a job, get tired of it, then leave. In other words, we're seen as a risk to potential employers.

You can't get a work visa until a company actually hires you. Your employer has to request your visa. That means that you would initially be here on a 180-day tourist visa.

I won't try to change your mind because I've been in your exact same position. Just be aware of how hard it is to find a job, build up a trustworthy network of friends, support yourself financially, overcome culture shock and learn the language, all while separated from your family and friends. It can be done, but it's the hardest thing you'll ever do.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    July 3 was my 7 year anniversary of living here. But I am far beyond 19. My suggestions if you are serious about moving here.
    1. Come for 3 months, along with enough money for all of your costs. You won't be able to work anyway as has been pointed out.
    2. Live downtown as it is the only place you will be able to afford should you end up here. You will find that you need a roommate in order to find a halfway decent place. See #3. In the short run-#1-you will need someone looking for a roommate or to live alone. How are your Spanish skills? In the Hotel Zone everyone speaks a little English. Not so in the real Cancun.
    3. Do not move here for a guy. It rarely works; very rarely. With all due respect to my many Mexican friends, you do not want a BMW. It's not in their plan. Oh, BWM is not a car. It is a Broke Mexican Waiter.
    4. You will need to be near public transportation, meaning a bus line, which is the cheapest way to get around. Don't forget that it rains here which can be a problem if you have to get to work on time and dry.
    5. Be prepared for street flooding, cable tv for the most part in Spanish, interuptions in service for all of your utilities. You can't pay bills by check or autopay for the most part so you have to go to the electric, phone, gas, water and cell phone companies-although you can refill your prepaid cell and pay certain bills at the Walmart type stores or at OXXO (for a fee).
    6. You need access to more money than you think, probably at least double. I suggest that you have a Bank of America internet account in the states. You can take money out, in pesos, at ATMS, but at Santander (a big bank) there are no fees on any part of the transaction. If your family is going to help fund your adventure, make sure they have an ATM card and password to your account. There are NO fees from BOA if deposits are made at a BOA ATM. If dad walks into the bank to put $$ in your account, they charge you $12.95 for the month of the transaction.
    7. I disagree that it is expensive to live here. It can be but it does not have to be. My water bill is like $6, gas $20, local phone that you really don't need $30, cable depends on the package but mine is like $52. My electric runs under $50 per month but the bill comes every two months. Prepaid cell phone plans can run you $40 or less per month if you are careful. I have a plan with internet and mine runs about $100. I own a 2BR, 1 bath apt so I have no rent. But you can get a decent place in a semi decent hood for $400-$450 a month, but you will need furniture. Groceries are cheaper for me than in the US but if you want US products they are available but you pay dearly. Organic peanut butter that I can smuggle in at $4-$5 a jar is $7. A $3 bag of Frito's Scoops is $4.50.
    8. This forum is a great place for the best info from the "been there, done that" crowd. I have so many good friends, real friends, that I met online 10 years ago and in person over the years. ToriB and I emailed and messsaged for a couple of years and met for the first time as soon as she moved here. We are dear friends now. She started with a BMW but now has a wonderful boyfriend who is also a great friend as well as a great guy. We even share the same housekeeper. V and I talk nearly every day and have had many great times. Cancunfun and her hubby are my BFF's, always and forever. This is an amazing place to network.

That's about it, so over and out,
    T.J.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey V,
    Why don't you talk about living all over town for a couple of years, getting the lay of the land and finally finding the perfect place for you and your bride to live.

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    T.J., one telling comment I could have made is that, although I´ve lived and worked in six other countries besides Mexico, Mexico was by far the most difficult place for me to get started in. It took me a year of serious effort to land my current position. If I had needed to be working, I´d have been in real trouble.

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "BMW"! hahahaha I had one of those

And I agree with TJ, Cancun can be pretty cheap if you want it to be. When I was in college here, my share of rent was only $2000 pesos a month (living in nice areas with roommates) and my living expenses were $4000 pesos a month (utilities, groceries, cell phone, transportation, school supplies, fun money, etc) and it went a long way!

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm guessing Kassidy doesn't want to come here forever, she just wants a bit of life experience. I say go for it! Get yourself money together for 3 months and come down and see how you go. Whether you make it for 3 months or a year it's should be a great bit of fun life experience and well worth doing!

Moving to a new country when you're young is loads of fun - discovering a new culture, more about yourself, it's a massive learning experience in general and you can go home with a new perspective on life, perhaps appreciating more what you have there or a clearer view of where you want life to take you.

Worry about visas, jobs, houses etc. when you get here (just make sure you bring at least 3 months money with you!!)

My advice, just do it - if you don't you'll be regretting it. Who knows you might regret if you do, but at least you'll have learnt something and you can always jump on a plane home. :icon_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice