Moving to Cancun from USA..Need some info.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ForgotmyScreenName, Apr 8, 2010.

1. ForgotmyScreenName

ForgotmyScreenName Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Gf and i are moving to cancun at the end of this month (april) from the USA. We will be looking to rent a furnished house thats gated/walled ,has a yard for our 2 dogs .We would like to be near all the shops centre cancun in a safe area .Our budget is between 7500-12000 MEX.We found a few houses on some of the reality websites that suit our needs but thought maybe someone here might be know of some others available.

We will also be looking to buy furnishings for the house..Bed.desk,couches,kitchen table,tv,Fridge, If anyone has some of these things for sale please post what you have and the price and pic if you can. .

Also we will need interent access in our home ASAP...what is available? Sattelite? High speed cable? dsl?

any help would be appreciated ,Thanks :xyxthumbs:

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suggest learning to search the archive of this forum.

If you are not Mexican citizens search first for FM3 and for Rentista (to help you learn about Mexican Immigration). Also search for Telmex Infinitum and for CableMas (both are internet providers).

There's a LOT of great info in the archive of this forum, a lot!!!

3. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks RiverGirl ill make sure and check out the archives thanks for the info on the internet providers too :)

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    With that kind of budget, especially if you're happy to go to the upper end, you shouldnt have too much problem at all.

I would tend to avoid the realty websites though - most properties will not be listed on them anyway and those that are will likely be marketed at expats and over priced accordingly.

Far better to stay in a downtown hotel for a few weeks while you get a feel for the different areas, once you find an area you like drive or walk round noting the "se renta" signs and follow up that way. Try to see at least 6 different places before deciding, there's often a massive difference in quality between places of similar price.

5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Steve. It's been my experience that the price/quality relationship is very touch and go in Cancun, and you'll find a bunch of duds along mixed in with a bunch of amazing places.

You'd really have to see the places in person. Make sure the plumbing/hot water/boiler is working fine!! (It's never going to be like in the States... just make sure it works.)

With your budget, you're sure to find something beautiful. Just please check a few options in person first!

6. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice on finding a place..we have booked a room and have a friend who is going to take us around to see places..hopefully we will find something that suits us and our dogs.

7. ronandsheila

ronandsheila Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello, can you keep us updated? I would be very interested to see how everything goes. My husband has talked about buying a place in Mexico as well and we also have two dogs. 2 labs. The more we know the easier it would be. Thanks.

8. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can somone fill me in in the tv/internet situation in cancun ? What options do i have ? dsl ?sattelite? high speed cable? I work online so internet is most important...also i would like to have some tv in english ..need my hbo ,history,cbs,fox,discovery ...

P.S please dont send me to the archives on a hunting mission if you have the answers im looking for ..thanks in advance :)

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ADSL and SDSL are both available and reliable. The service is more expensive than you're used to paying and the fastest ADSL consumer grade connection is going to be a 4k line with realistic downloads of 3.5 kbps. Cable internet is available too. Sometimes your location may dictate your choice.

American television is available via Dish Network, but you will need a US address to bill to. Contact hodamayo AT hotmail DOT com for details. Forget about the US concept of free equipment and installation. You're going to buy your antenna and decoder and pay for the installation, but the service price is the same as the US.

Last, adjust your attitude. There is a great depth of information here in the archives, and answering the same qustions over and over again gets tedious. You're not the first nor last person planning to move here. Search the archives. There's lots to learn here.

10. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no attitude.. just looking for some straight foward answers on some straight foward questions...getting answers on specific questions in a thread is alot easier than looking through a dozen threads hoping to find what your looking for...thanks for the helpfull info..but you can keep the advice on "attitude adjustment "for someone who is a bit more confrontational than a person making a comment about the typical "check the archive" response :angel1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice