Moving House

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Just wanted to let you all know that we are moving house next week. Our landline number will be changing - PM me for new number, my cellphone will obviously be the same.

Our current place has got too noisy with the busy road and far too many dogs in nearby houses, also the landlord does not seem interested in maintaining it (and looks like he is going to rip us off on our $1000 deposit he holds) - so time to move on to somewhere new.

The place we are moving to is bigger and unfurnished so we have a few bits to buy, but once we are sorted out we'll be having a housewarming party - maybe in 2 or 3 weeks time.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - Glad to hear that you finally found something acceptable. Definitely PM me with your new landline.

If you think the landlord is going to be a jerk maybe Profeco can help?? I'm not sure they get into landlord/tenant disputes but they do seem to get people their money back for things. Otherwise you can always leave some rotting seafood inside the curtain rods where they'll never find it...

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Thanks Kim,
    the landlord seems determined that he will "check the house to assess 'the damage' and will then see if there is any of our deposit left".

The sofa needs cleaning, some crayon on the wall needs painting over and part of our kitchen unit that got wet during Wilma and then invaded by ants crumbled away, but other than that it's the way we found it. If I had any faith that he'd be honest about things then I'd pay to get them fixed myself, as it is I fear he'll keep the whole $1000 whatever we spend so I will spend nothing.

Since he'll be paying our forthcoming utility bills out of the deposit I'm thinking of calling the speaking clock in the UK at $1 a minute and keeping the call open for a week plus leaving the aircon on for a week in all rooms too.

Reckon I can run up a $2,000 bill that way. :wink:

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Steve
    hope you have lots of happy times in your new home.
    We are off to Uk this Sat so please wait for housewarming party.
    Love
    Tracey
    x

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yay! Glad you guys have found something better, we all know how hard it can be to find a great place to live.

And hey, another excuse for a party is always welcome. :D

Good luck with the move!

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OMG! Kimberly that is just evil, blech remind me to ask you for advice when I want to get back at someone :p

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry, I'm not actually a vengeful person. I just remember hearing a joke where someone put rotting seafood in the curtain rods of their ex's house. I just haven't forgotten it.

Steve, it sounds like you won't win with that landlord. Seems like there are lots of crappy landlords in Cancun.

8. Deana

Deana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,
    Congrats on the move!!
    We just moved also.. we were dealing with the same kind of landlord. Had to get our deposit back in other ways also. However, I think your calling the UK is far better then mine. :lol:
    Let me know if you need any help.

Deana

9. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi

congrats Steve, hope the new place goes well, let me know if you need any help.
    Jen

10. susieq76

susieq76 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, do you have "Magic Erasers" there? They are made by Mr. Clean and will take crayon off the wall super easy (as well as most other things). They're like 3.00 usd here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice