Move to Playa???

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Lukas13, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Lukas13

Lukas13 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola all,

I am a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend is a Mexican citizen. We are contemplating what we should do. She currently lives in Playa, but also has a lot of family in Monterrey. She is a nail technician (which does not pay very well) and would like to open a salon. We are both ok with living here in the states, but would rather live in Playa. I have a fairly stable job (if there is such a thing) that pays a decent salary. We could easily live "comfortably" in the U.S.
    Does anybody have any advice on how to start up a business in Playa, Cancun, Puerto Morelos? We have a few ideas, but are uncertain of how to get started and of any out of the ordinary risks. As I said, she would like to open a salon and I have a couple of ideas for a restaurant business. We have VERY LITTLE capitol, which is obviously one of our main obstacles. She has a 7 year old son, which is the main reason I want to make sure we have a stable income. I would be willing to take a little more risk if it was just my girlfriend and myself.
    We do plan on getting married soon.
    Should we wait out the process move her and her son here?
    Move me down there (preferred location) and just work until we get enough saved up to start a small business? I hear it is very difficult for foreigners to earn enough to support a family, unless they own their own business.
    Any advice at all is greatly appreciated

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't have too much idea about starting up a bricks and mortar business here in terms of permits and legalities, but it's going to be difficult to start up anything on a shoestring budget. Rent, equipment, staff etc.

Since it seems you can work from anywhere I'd suggest moving down for a few months during which time you can figure out exactly what's required, check out the competition, review locations and then make a decision whether you think it's going to be something you want to go for.

I would say though that nail salons and restaurants are extremely plentiful and open and close all the time. It's going to be tough to gain a foothold in those markets unless you have something special to offer.

3. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The numerous rich American & European women living in the north end of Puerto Morelos have given Leti's Esthetics a ton of money over the years - she's the only high-end shop in town. I think a high-end salon in the north end of town would do well.

4. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since you're a US citizen, you might look into immigration issues for your GF should you wed. I'm not very knowledgeable but have read blogs of people who have found out the hard way (by having to leave the country) that it is more beneficial to your GF's visa/green card/whatever to get married either in or out of the country. Again, VERY low on facts but I know this has been an issue for others, so check into that.

Restaurants open and close in PdC with surprising (or not) rapidity. I'd look REALLY hard at all the issues of owning a restaurant here. Specifically in PdC. I'm purposely being obtuse. Hope that helps.

5. Jangray

Jangray Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same interest as many, starting a business in paradise. I've worked as a dermatology nurse for 17 years in Los Angeles, and would love to have my own salon doing facials and therapeutic skin treatments as well. Does anyone know the requirements to practice esthetics in Mexico. Also, what would be the chances of getting on at a resort as an esthetian?

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tulum might be a good place for that. Lots of foreigners have set up businesses there and do very well. Plus many of the hotels don't have spas so you might be able to do deals where you go to the hotels and do facials in the cabanas and have a salon as well using mystical Mayan treatments etc.

In Cancun it could be a bit tougher to set up your salon, but not impossible :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice