Mexico Car Permits

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunWordWhiz, Oct 20, 2009.

1. CancunWordWhiz

CancunWordWhiz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know the process of and the location for renewing an MX car permit when it expires after coming into the country on an FMT?

Is there an office here or in Merida that will renew the permit, or is it necessary to drive down to the border every time it expires?

Do you need to bring your FM-3 or permit (if in process of getting an FM-3) to renew the car permit?

Much appreciated!

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You need copies of your FM3, the title to the car, proof of insurance plus the original old permit which you carefully remove from your windshield and stick back onto the form it came on. You need a credit card. You need drive no further than a couple of clicks past the ferry terminal in Puerto Juarez. With the terminal on your right, the customs office (and other government agencies) is located in white building on the left recognizable by a circular entrance and impossibly high steps leading up to it. It's behind a fence with parking directly in front of the fence. Depending on the exchange rate it will be about 34 USD, quick and totally painless.

3. CancunWordWhiz

CancunWordWhiz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wonderful! Thanks a million, Mixz1. That's the best, most succinct explanation I've ever received. : )

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  5. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Temporary Import Permit is a very different thing. Foreign plated cars don't pay tenencia just a small permit fee!

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are basiclly renewing the import permit that you bought as you crossed the border. Once in Mexico, the only thing you need is proof you own the car, which would be the title, proof of insurance and the import permit, which is synchronized to your FM expiration date. You need not maintain insurance in your country of origin, nor maintain licensing and you can drive around on your expired plates. Mine expired 5 years ago. Note however, that if you plan to go back, you may have major difficulties reinsuring and reregestering the vehicle.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Very nice, Mixz1, even I might be tempted to bring a car down, under those circumstances. I don't suppose you could sell it here, or is there a way, if you decided to trade up, after a few years, and arranged to pay import duties, if required?

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to have cars here and after my 2nd car they changed the law... as long my FM3 was in order I did not need to renew the permit. Prior to that we had to drive to Belize. You may want to check with INM and see if you do indeed need to renew the permit.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been through this, including a letter from Banjercito saying the same thing, i.e. you don't need to renew it. I think I even posted that letter here a few years back. Some of the ex-pat veterans in Merida who routinely traverse the aduanas between here and Merida advise carrying a copy of the updated law, Article 106, in English and Spanish, in your car. You can get a copy at http://www.clickoncuernavaca.com/Article 106.htm .

Nevertheless, after a rather irritating "discussion" with a barely literate transito, I figured that the 34 USD a year and the short drive down to Puerto Juarez was worth it to avoid future hassles.

Moreover, if you discuss the point with the Banjercito clerk at the office in Puerto Juarez, a fine young man named Christian, the last 2 times I was there, he'll assure you that you need to renew each year. He'll also shrug at the printed copy of Article 106 and say his rule book says you need to renew.

Like so many other things down here, this is a contradictory and unresolveable issue, but it's easy enough to work around for 34 dollars. Why fight it?

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless the law changed from the last time I looked at it, the Mexican term for a person who imports a car and then sells it is "CRIMINAL". Stiff fines, loss of the vehicle, forced labor harvesting agave at a penal colony (just kidding). I believe it still against the law. Others may have to confirm this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice