May 2011 Immigration Law Changes

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos, May 28, 2011.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WHAT?!!? I was just starting to figure out the old rules!

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I haven't taken the time to read the text of the new law but if it is as is summarized in the article cited, the changes are major, indeed. Eliminating the FM2/3 distinction (I know, the old nomenclature, but the concept didn't change, last year, as it appears to, this year) is one of the most significant. It's possible that, under these new rules, I'll be able to go straight to inmigrado, which could be nice, maybe....

4. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It looks as if my 1ce-yearly FM3 may now become the category of the 4-year "No Immigr".....sweet!

5. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Immigration

Will you still have to take the exam if you want to become a national?

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CancunNurse,
    Citizenship is a different thing, it's done through SRE (secretaria de relaciones exteriores) and as far as I know, nothing has changed, we still have to take the test.

My FM2 is in tramite right now, why do they always make changes in May? :D

7. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless you are 60 or older. I am told that those people are exempt from the test. Yes, I also believe I read this somewhere in the laws. No, I do not remember where....ha ha....I know what you mean about May...I just received my new FM-2 this week.

I was all set to get ready to apply for my permanent residency next May, until someone reminded me that my permiso on my foreign plated vehicle would no longer be valid. Hmmmm....I will still have 1 1/2 years to go, before my vehicle is 10 years old. We should try to get a handle on this, and see how that law might change as well.

We should also keep an eye out for how much these new 4-year renewals are going to cost. At 2800 pesos for an FM-2 and just under 2000 pesos for an FM-3 renewal, that's a pantload of dough that the federal government is going to lose each year.

I am also under the impression that permanent residency cards are good for 10 years, same as the green card in the US. Anyone know differently?

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What happened to the horror stories I have been hearing that you will have to renew your FM3 TWICE A YEAR?

Who knows how all this stuff will sort out at the one on one level. I remember the info from Cancun Mole, who had chapter and verse about what you could and could not do with a foreign car, here on a temporary import permit. She had the facts, but they were not being interpreted or practiced across the board.

I am not sure I will even read that link. OK, I will but now I have to go watch Jason Statham kill some bad guys.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio: Ummmm... We dont have a "test" in Sweden to get citizenship :)

What you DO need to get Swedish citizenship, is:

*Proof of identity
    *Minimum age of 18 years(doesnt not apply if your parents apply, obviously...)
    *You need to have Permanent Residency
    *A certain period of time living in Sweden, continuously.
    (Foreign citizen = 5 years. Stateless = 4 years. Refugee = 4 years.)
    *A certificate(proof) of good conduct.

When it comes to get citizenship without speaking Swedish: yes, it happens, but 9 out of 10 are refugees. I know people in both US and Canada who barely can say "hello" in English, yet they have become citizens. Happens in most countries.

Oh, the government used to provide daily Swedish classes, for free, for the newly arrived and everyone/anyone who wanted to learn or fine-tune their Swedish.

(I only write "used to" since I dont know if the new coalition government still offers that or not.)

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I wonder if that's really the case, or whether what's meant is you cannot stay in the temporary resident status more than four years, which would be in keeping with this year's practice? The section of the new law which is cited by the article begins...,

"Autoriza al extranjero para permanecer en el país por un tiempo no mayor a cuatro años...."

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice