Mailing out Christmas Cards

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kellyfitz11, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kellyfitz11

kellyfitz11 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the easiet way to mail out my christmas cards to the states? Buy postage and if so how much? Or just take them to correos and let them put postage on? Thanks!!!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Given that mail going to the U.S. via the Mexican Postal System takes two weeks, typically, you´ll need to act fast to get them into the mail.

If you go to the post office, they´ll sell you the stamps to put on each one: postage will be 11.50 pesos for the first half ounce, so it could get expensive!

If you knew someone going to the states soon, it would be cheaper for them to carry them, and mail them there.

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I don't use the Mexican postal system. Things tend to take months or just never arrive...

I agree with V's idea of sending them with someone to the US and have them mailed from there.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I've used the Mexican Post for more than two years and found it to be slow, but reliable (never had anything go missing, that I know of, in either direction).

By slow I mean two weeks, on average, for mail to get to a U.S. address; three to four weeks for the return mail to get to me. That's why you've almost waited too long to use the Mexican Post, but much of your mail could arrive on time, if you get right on it!

You could post on this forum, asking if anyone would act as a mule for mail for you: as G. said, that's the best option, frankly.

If you had a lot of them to send, another option would be to put them all in a DHL package to a friend in the U.S., and they could then post them, there.

5. jayg

jayg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you don't mind them being late, we'll be in cancun the first week of january and would take them back and mail them for you. that's usually when i mail mine- i have'nt yet started to procrastinate. usa stamps are $.44 usd each if you need them.

6. BruceWedding

BruceWedding Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sent a postcard after I arrived. It took 4-1/2 weeks! Unbelievable but if you look at the post office, it is not so unbelievable. It's like a parody of a 3rd world post office. The only thing missing were live chickens.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm not surprised, Bruce, but postcards are treated differently by all post offices, and almost always take longer. My experiences have been with first class, air mail, both directions- still, very slow service, but not quite that bad.

8. kellyfitz11

kellyfitz11 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got real depressed for a second haha. But I think I will just try my luck and send them out this week and hope they reach there around Christmas or a little after. I don´t feel right asking someone else to do it for me. I´ve never sent anything home from here but my parents send me packages pretty often via the regular Correos and it always comes in about 2 weeks, 3 weeks maximum and all in good condition, so I assume it will be some what the same with regular mail.
    Thanks guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice