Living and working in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 5, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There seem to be quite a few foreigners who've found their niche here and manage to live reasonably well with a local job, or business, but I think for the majority it took some time to get to that point. Many more have come, given it a try, found the going tough, and left.

It would be interesting to hear from all those who've made a go of it, here: they've ended up in a wide variety of businesses and organizations, while in some cases others have managed to start their own businesses. This might provide the readers with a sense of the opportunities- and difficulties- one can encounter.

I've taught English for over twenty years: in spite of that, it took me over a year to get well established, here, as I preferred not to work for a commercial language school. I now teach full time at a local, state university and feel comfortably settled in.

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll go second...

I came to Cancun when I was 19 to study Tourism Administration at La Salle University. I was on a student FM3 for 4 years, and my parents paid for tuition and living expenses (Thanks, Mom and Dad!)

When I graduated, my parents told me I had 1 month to find a job here or I had to move back to the US. I was desperate to stay, so that lit a fire under my butt.

I spent a few weeks sending out dozens of CVs and driving around Cancun for interviews with my best friend, who was also job hunting. We dedicated every day to job hunting, and I got turned down A LOT. Many places were interested in hiring me until they found out I was on a student FM3. Most weren't willing to stick their neck out to help me get a work FM3 (You need a company to sponsor you to get a work FM3.)

Finally one day I went to a job interview with a jewelry store (not in my field, but I was desperate at this point), and the interviewer told me I was way overqualified... but she had a friend hiring foreigners at a large company. She called, and I went straight from that interview to the one she'd set up. Thank goodness she was so nice, because I got the job she referred me to.

I've been working at this travel agency for 1.5 years now as a translator and editor for their website. I make a very, very good salary by Cancun standards (but poor by American standards).

I think what I've learned is that it's not easy for foreigners to get jobs here because companies prefer to hire Mexicans, many of whom are well-educated and bilingual, especially in Cancun. In order to hire a foreigner, the company has to prove that they need a foreigner for the job instead of a Mexican, which seriously limits job opportunities.

Most jobs here require 6 days a week, more than 8 hours a day.

Also, as in the US, networking is more important than applying directly.

3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let's see.... I moved here October 2009 for man, which is a waaay to common reason in Cancun. I left a pretty stable environment for unknown waters, but I never gave it a second thought. For the first three months I kind of did NOTHING!!! Really.. I sat in my apartment and just watched TV and would go out to walk my Dog. I was fortunate enough that the boyfriend had a good paying job, but definitely not a job to build a relationship around. All girls take heed.... STAY AWAY FROM THE ANIMACION GUYS!!!!

Anyways, After the boredom set in, the job hunt began. With very limited Spanish and being a foreigner my options were far too short. Basically, Telemarketing, Time Share or working PR for the nightclubs. I interviewed and received many offers at all three. All three would mean I sell my soul to the devil. I was so turned off and getting depressed. Then 7 months after moving here, an acquaintance's girlfriend was heading back to the US and her spot at the place she worked for was opening up. I jumped on that...and here I am, a Suncare Advisor for a couple of amazing hotels. I am Commission only, and there are days where I come home without making a peso; but I wouldn't trade if for anything else. It's a job I believe in, I have fun with, and I meet so many amazing people everyday from all over the word. And, I have a killer tan. I work 6 days a week, from 4-6 hrs a day. And I have made up to 1300 pesos in one day. I do pretty well for myself I feel.

So that is my Tori Story.
    I think this thread is great...sure hope more then three of us chime in.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got pretty lucky coming here with no plan other than to spend a couple of weeks on vacation. I "accidentally" got my first job here, drinking tequila led to a bartending gig in Cozumel. Moved to Cancun shortly after and did nothing for a few months. Hubby had a good job here and one of his co-workers hooked me up with Harmon Hall where I stayed for five years. Through my personal blog and social media "playing", I got the offer to work for my current employer as community manager, writing blogs and managing the social media marketing. I wasn't looking to change jobs, but am happy in my present position.

I know that it's not easy going coming down here cold, if I had had to plan it, I probably wouldn't have made it. Everyone's circumstances and contacts are different, that is for sure! I got lucky with the first job, the second job was a result of a lot of hard work on my freelance stuff, paid off even though I wasn't looking for work. Copy writing/social media is a field that is growing down here and more and more companies are looking for native speakers, it's something that folks can consider. I will say that most companies are hesitant to take a risk on a newcomer, as much as people say "It's forever, I'm totally staying!", it's not always the case. "Foreigners" come and go in Cancun so employers may not want to take on people who have no ties here and could leave them in a second. Cancun is no different than most places in the world, it's all who you know. Build your contacts and use your networks.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Most people will probably know mine, but basically I started this website in 2002 2 years before moving to Cancun. Moving to develop the web business full time was the right move at the time plus a little bit of an adventure. Despite giving up a well paid day job and selling everything we owned. No regrets about that.

Hurricane Wilma in 2005 one year after arriving taught me that putting all my web venture "eggs in one basket" was not the best foundation for future longevity, making next to nothing for 6 months. Since then I've diversified to an extent that I really have no need to be in Cancun anymore. Anywhere with an Internet connection is fine.

6 and a half years and 2 kids later, our priorities have changed. We are likely to move away soon, most probably back home.

Beautiful scenery, great weather and bragging rights, but at the end of the day there really is not much more to living in Cancun than that.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im with Steve on this one: Apart from the scenery, there isnt much for me either.

Its been an adventure, but enough is enough :)

Plus: If what I want is nice weather, the ocean and such, I might as well go back to Australia, where the salary will take a huge step up again, and where there is a functioning system.

On a side note: Mexico was never meant to be "forever" to me, personally, so with that in mind...

7. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do I count even though I've since moved back to the States? ;) I hope so, as I sure love to talk about myself!

Cancun was the absolute last place I would have ever wanted to live, but I moved there for a guy. We had met in his village while I was doing my fieldwork research (ironically the subject was why Yucatec Maya move to Cancun for work) and I kept extending my stay and eventually went back to the States to write my thesis. I'd never been to Cancun on vacation and only been a couple of times (first time I stayed in Region 103 with people from his village) and second in a hotel near Mercado 28.

I desperately want to be with him, so I wrote my thesis, worked my butt off, saved up a couple month's living expenses as everyone on Living in Cancun forums suggests and packed up my stuff to go to Cancun. The first couple of months I didn't do any job searching, just a lot of hanging out. Husband had cold feet about moving to Cancun so I was alone for a while there though he'd visit and I'd go to the village (think a lot of it had to do with leaving mommy behind). My self imposed three month deadline was coming up, as was the date of my return plane ticket, and I was getting more and more threatening with husband (get your butt to Cancun or I'm out)...when the following happened: finally saw an opening at Harmon Hall in Novedades, got an interview, then a job offer, and then husband finally showed up on my doorstep with his backpack. All about a week before I was supposed to go back.

Stayed for almost 5 years, working at Harmon Hall, did a couple of freelance bits here and there, but never seriously looked for another job. If I moved back ever, I would NOT work in ANY of the jobs that many folks do...I would only go with an already established freelance client base. Feel like I paid my dues with earning in pesos, working a split shift, and constantly having to be "on" as a teacher!

Oh, and as you may have guessed, the boyfriend became husband. I've been back in the US since just before Wilma and he's been here for about three and a half years. Because of him ( he's got family in Cancun as well) and because of my own best friends I've made (see Cancun Canuck above), my ties to Cancun are still strong. I also find Cancun a hugely interesting subject to write about...controversy, oxymorons, tension, it's great!

8. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ohhh, I like this thread!!

Hmm.... I moved down here 8ish years ago to work for an American company out of Denver. Had no idea what to expect, but it was great. I ended up only doing that gig for about 3 weeks when I was offered a job working for MTV!!! I was paid in USD, which at the time was unbelievable... I made $500 a week, and had an apartment at the Maralago paid for, a crappy car, and all my food included!!! Worked like a mad man, but a single gal at 20 years old can handle anything!!! I did that gig for a little over a year.... I actually had savings to take back home with me!!

Hubby and I already knew one another, but a few months before I was going home we started dating. Ended up both moving back to Canada, he received his Residence status and we lived and worked there for 6 years. Hubby's family live here in Cancun and he wanted to get away from the 6 months of winter so bad that I finalllly gave in. We have been back in Cancun for just over a year now. I must say I preferred Cancun back in the day.

Hubby is working as an accountant for a Canadian company, and running a family transportation business.

I help with the business and take care of a very sick family member from Canada who has decided this is where she wanted to spend her last months...

Will Cancun be forever? I doubt that....However, I do love the weather, and all of our friends!

:flagcanada:

9. Kolnui

Kolnui Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you all for posting your stories. This thread was just what I was looking for. I am a Mexican-American male 49 years old born raised and educated in the U S by Mexican - American parents. My maternal grandparents were from San Luis Potosi, who came to the U S during the Mex Revolution. On my Dads side I am 3 rd generation american with great grandfather from somewhere in Mexico and a native american great grandmother. Now I am thinking of moving to Mexico and Cancun sounds like a great place. I am a military retiree so I am hoping my pension will be enough to support me. Why am I considering a move to Mexico? Well, I joined the Army when I was 17 years old, never had a civilian job until I retired in 1999. I have been working for the U S Postal service for the past 11 years and I feel like it's a death sentence. Money's good but I really just want out of the rat race. So Cancun here I come back to my roots I suppose. We'll see how it goes.

10. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kolnui, you may find Isla Mujeres more to your liking! I moved here at age 48 after a buyout at the newspaper where I worked as a reporter. I bought a house with two back apartments. The business plan failed! and I went on to start a guest house in the back apartments, which is high ranked on trip advisor. Once the hazing was over (and going through Hurricane Wilma with my neighbors) I've had few problems. I speak the language and islanders appreciate that. So...look around. Cancun is just a ferry ride away and some of us like it that way!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice