Life in the City

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 18, 2012.

1. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Earlier in the thread was comparative costing. We've been here 8 months and we are living about 50% less than what we were in FL. Easy to calculate since we are FM2 rentistas that are not dependent on Mexican salaries. So we've saved a considerable amount so far. Groceries are about 2/3 of what we paid in the states. The worst for us is toys (8 year old triplets), video games, and certain electronics.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Youre missing out: The Superama on Bonampak(not that far from you), is great in many ways. Fresh stuff, organized, never packed etc. Also, I always grab a chai latte next doors at Starbucks, hehe :)

I agree when it comes to Wal Mart - uuuggghhhh....

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This may soon change in that Mexico is committed by international treaty to dropping its punitively high tariffs on Chinese imports, this year.

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The karaoake is probably coming from La Choperia (in the bullring). Went there once with friends. Really liked the place, but we had to move to the outside area because the music and karaoke was so loud we couldn't hear the person next to us screaming!

It was still loud outside, but a little easier to have a conversation.

5. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is a good Superama. We bought our Christmas tree there. Just don't use it much unless there is a specific item we need. Not sure how the Superama at the Ibis Hotel is, it opened recently.

6. valgunn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah that has got to be the place.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Carnival

Now it's the Carnival, whose noise finally died down last night around 5 AM.

Can it really be true that this is going to go on for three weeks? How long does it take to celebrate the start of Lent???

The whole thing is amusing to watch, but couple of days would be enough!

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Today is the official end to Carnival (Fat Tuesday)....no matter where it is celebrated in the World. And the posters state the dates are 17th -21st. If it goes on beyond that, it's just Cancun's way of extorting money from people whom typically don't have it. Cancun's celebration just bring all the Naco's out and about into one area. Sounds like a place I'd love to spend time.....NOT!!!!!!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sure hope you're right, Tori, about this thing coming to an end, soon.

There has been what I guess is some kind of commentary on the event, broadcast over loudspeakers, and heard for many blocks, that has lasted till around 5 AM, each night, including last night (Fat Tuesday, as you called it).

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a lesson here for any potential home buyers in Cancun.

When looking at a place to buy make sure you go by in the evening and late at night (especially on a weekend) when people are in and noise has the potential to be made.

Also if you want peace and quiet - don't buy a house in the middle of the city by a Bull ring, in between two of Cancun's busiest streets :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice